RockAuto Tip - Nylon Parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I just ran across this useful tip in RockAuto's January newsletter, which was just posted today, and thought it was worthy of sharing. I'll give it a try today on a few OEM nylon parts and post the results. The first part I'll try is an old yellowed nylon distributor terminal, I have a lot of these harvested from my recent distributor refurbishments.

RockAuto Newsletter Automotive Trivia

What might limber up old, yellowed nylon parts and make even new nylon parts easier to install/remove?

Put the nylon part in boiling water for a few minutes or let it soak in water overnight. (The boiling water does not melt the nylon. Soaking nylon in room temperature water for a long time has the same impact as a short bath in boiling water. The moisture releases tension between polymer molecules that was created when the part was first made (molded, extruded, etc.) or that built up over time as it was exposed to sunlight, heat, chemicals or otherwise aged.)

That’s an interesting tip. I’d say that’s impossible (being nylon is plastic) but what do I know?

Many plastics do absorb water, nylon particularly so, so this would definitely be worth a shot! I wonder if they would just dry back out after a while in a hot engine bay though.

And if you're hungry, the waste water is good as nylon soup!

:grinpimp:

Great tip. Imma try it.

worked for me ..........

122EB17F-10A7-42AC-8E1C-1F4446BDDF95.jpeg

toyota genuine parts 4 - Copy (2).png

I’ve read that soaking hardened rubber parts in wintergreen mint oil will restore them. I think ATF is also useful for restoring old rubber as long as it’s not cracked and falling apart.

I’ve read that soaking hardened rubber parts in wintergreen mint oil will restore them. I think ATF is also useful for restoring old rubber as long as it’s not cracked and falling apart.
91% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and oil of wintergreen in a 4:1 mixture does work, but if you soak parts too long they can swell. That happened to a few rubber distributor cam grease stoppers.

Nylon has a very high water content in it when it’s new which can make it very dangerous when plastic injecting it. It gets dried for a long time before it goes into the molding machine. And then it has a pretty small temperature window where it flows. And when it flows it does so like water.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom