Rock Warrior paint match (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hoosier Daddy

SILVER Star
Threads
I recently picked up a used Rock Warrior spare that had all the paint worn off the front surface. (I believe the previous owner buried his truck in mud and proceeded to spin the wheels for an extended period.) I got it cheap, so I wasn't worried too much about aesthetics.

But it was a good opportunity to play around with paint matching, as my other Rock Warriors have a couple little spots that need touching up.

Several searches of the internet over time have not revealed any insight on an off-the-shelf color match paint for these wheels, so I present the following as one potential option.

Rust-oleum Dark Steel spray paint, followed by three light mist coats of Tamiya TS-71 Smoke. The Rust-oleum was just a tiny bit light, so the Tamiya helps darken it some.

Results below. It's good enough that this wheel can enter rotation with the others. (Don't compare the center caps, as the one on the right is in poor shape compared to the one on the left.)
20200905_113711.jpg

20200905_122435.jpg

Last edited:
I recently picked up a used Rock Warrior spare that had all the paint worn off the front surface. (I believe the previous owner buried his truck in mud and proceeded to spin the wheels for an extended period.) I got it cheap, so I wasn't worried too much about aesthetics.

But it was a good opportunity to play around with paint matching, as my other Rock Warriors have a couple little spots that need touching up.

Several searches of the internet over time have not revealed any insight on an off-the-shelf color match paint for these wheels, so I present the following as one potential option.

Rust-oleum Dark Steel spray paint, followed by three light mist coats of Tamiya TS-71. The Rust-oleum was just a tiny bit light, so the Tamiya helps darken it some.

Results below. It's good enough that this wheel can enter rotation with the others. (Don't compare the center caps, as the one on the right is in poor shape compared to the one on the left.)View attachment 2426956

View attachment 2427017
This is brilliant. I was searching for paint match for RW and you solved the problem for me. Any pointers on application?

You might consider whether you want to use primer. The Rustoleum says it is "paint and primer in one" and that it will apply to any surface. I wasn't sure if it was going to match before I started, so I didn't bother with the effort of primer. If you're a perfectionist, you might consider it.

Also, keep the coats of Tamiya light and even. It dries fast and you can keep adding little by little until it is dark enough. It is kind of a tint, not a paint. With a paint, the difference in color between 2 coats and 3 coats is virtually non-existent, but with this Tamiya stuff, it gets darker every time you go over it.

The Tamiya is available at hobby stores and online, but not at the big box stores. The Rustoleum is available pretty much everywhere.

This is brilliant. I was searching for paint match for RW and you solved the problem for me. Any pointers on application?
Thanks for the info. I already ordered both products. I am touching up damage around the lugnuts on the RWs I bought.

For touch-ups, I would mask off everything but the small area you want to spray. I have a boogered-up area by one of the lug nuts on one of my other wheels, so I will be painting that soon. Let us know how your experience goes. :cheers:

For touch-ups, I would mask off everything but the small area you want to spray. I have a boogered-up area by one of the lug nuts on one of my other wheels, so I will be painting that soon. Let us know how your experience goes. :cheers:

Anyone got paint for this? :hillbilly:
1599344133712.jpeg

Good point. I will let every one know how it turns out. It is going to take 2 weeks for the materials to arrive.

Rust-oleum Dark Steel spray paint, followed by three light mist coats of Tamiya TS-71 Smoke. The Rust-oleum was just a tiny bit light, so the Tamiya helps darken it some.

Results below. It's good enough that this wheel can enter rotation with the others. (Don't compare the center caps, as the one on the right is in poor shape compared to the one on the left.)View attachment 2426956

View attachment 2427017
Ordering the Tamiya paint right now. About to take off the rings and polish em, but was apprehensive on cleaning up the spokes without a proper paint match. THANKS!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom