Rock sliders/skids for GX 460? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Moby

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm looking at replacing my FJ-62 (deceased, fire) with a new GX. I won't be asking it to do what the '62 did but I don't have the time to build a new truck right now (I might be buying back the 62 and storing it for a future rebuild).

However it will see lots of snow and logging roads, some that will certainly challenge the clearance. I'd like to replace the factory steps with real sliders and as much underbody skid plating as possible.

Anyone know how much, if any, '10+ 4runner stuff will work on an '10+ GX? I can fab sliders myself if necessary but I'd really like something like Budbuilt's or Rasta4x4's skid plates.

Comments/suggestions?

Joel - I would talk with the guys at MetalTech. I'm going to take some measurements and pictures for the guys at MT to see if they will fit. I'll definitely post what I've found out, if anything. Sliders are next on my list for the GX. I've already removed my running boards, they just get in the way rather than assisting entry and exit, IMO.

The skids for the 4runners should fit. Everything underneath is essentially the same. If they don't fit, you can always sell them to a 4runner guy. These are 2nd on my list. Slee - Toyota - FJ Cruiser / 4Runner Skid Plates

Excellent, thanks!

Last edited:
I love my MetalTech OPOR sliders. High and tight! Excellent fitament and simple install.

img_3976_ddd6be6b992fbfdb6ee1258809d99a58ca4e63a3.jpg

I purchased the Metal Tech sliders, but I've have not received my rig back from Yota Masters from all the work they're doing to it to give any sort of response. When I get my rig back (hopefully tomorrow or Monday) I'll have some worth while input.

So I guess this entire post was a waste and just a lot of hot air...

Nice looking rig, glad to see a few more options coming along for the 460.

I went with Metal Tech mainly because it has a solid runner rather than just piping....my wife preferred it. SSO was my other choice. Some have said the Metal Techs stick out further than the others, so that might be something to consider as well if you have a tight garage.

View attachment 1828314

View attachment 1828315

View attachment 1828316

View attachment 1828317
I'm sure you've progressed way down the road since this pic was taken...but, any idea what your lift was at this point? Love the sliders...they are clean looking. Also what tire size were you running?

I too have the Metal Tech sliders with the kick-out. Saved my butt/rocker panels this last weekend up in Big Bear!
IMO, regarding how far they stick out, I would actually prefer if they stuck out further to keep idiots from swinging their doors into the side of my rig in parking lots! I don't mind trail pin striping, but I don't like dings and dents. :flipoff2:
The other nice thing about them sticking out further is when you need to stand on them. You get a little more purchase for your foot and not just the tips of your toes.

I like my RSG sliders, had them rhino-lined which in hindsight I shouldn't have, and just had them powdercoated and gone the grip-tape route for traction since these are slick when wet, but otherwise are great. Still a bit of a ministep, for me at least.

IMG_3874.JPG

IMG_3876.JPG

I did black grip tape as soon as I got them on. They work great in snow, rain, mud, whatever.
You can't even notice it's on there unless you closely at the sliders, but you definitely feel the grip when you stand on it.

I noticed that in some pictures looks like some of you guys cut the running boards instead of removing them, is that the case?
Yes, some people remove them completely, some cut the running boards off and leave the trim, and some purchase Prado trim (without the running board) from overseas and use that. The Prado piece still needs trimming but you can then save/sell your running boards.

Have y'all found that most 5th Gen sliders work without issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom