Rock sliders build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

While I was waiting for my brake parts to come in I was thinking about rock sliders. I was thinking about building my own.

One of the things I wanted to do was learn how to fabricate things. I wanted to try to build some stuff rather than buy it. I haven't welded in 15 plus years and even then I wasn't good. Are any of you willing to trade some time and experience for beer and pizza?

😁 I do have a weld still! I need to dust it off!

I also need to go buy some metal.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where in Huntsville to pick up some steel?

Also I am not sure what to buy. I read that you want .1250 thick steel (11 Gauge) for the tubing. I assume that the plates for mounting to the frame should also be .1250. Also I see that most kits use large square U-bolts McMaster-Carr - https://www.mcmaster.com/3060T67/ Can you just run another plate behind frame with bolts on the top and bottom?

This is what my Metaltec sliders are made of.
80 Series Land Cruiser/LX450 Rock Sliders are made 100% in the USA using 2x4x.188 rectangular tube as the main slider body, 1.5x3x.25 rectangular tube for support legs, custom laser cut and CNC formed mounting feet made out of 1/4" that not only acts as a gusset but as a mounting pad for our custom u-bolt to provide the least amount of movement.

These Land Cruiser 80 Series & LX450 rock sliders are a complete bolt on unit that includes all the mounting hardware needed. Our rub rails are made out of 1.75x.120 wall DOM SRA unlike other competitors that use HERW (welded wall tubing). Another unique feature is the step is also a structural gusset that is made out of 1/8" plate and dimple died for superior weight distribution and reinforcement.

This is what my Metaltec sliders are made of.
80 Series Land Cruiser/LX450 Rock Sliders are made 100% in the USA using 2x4x.188 rectangular tube as the main slider body, 1.5x3x.25 rectangular tube for support legs, custom laser cut and CNC formed mounting feet made out of 1/4" that not only acts as a gusset but as a mounting pad for our custom u-bolt to provide the least amount of movement.

These Land Cruiser 80 Series & LX450 rock sliders are a complete bolt on unit that includes all the mounting hardware needed. Our rub rails are made out of 1.75x.120 wall DOM SRA unlike other competitors that use HERW (welded wall tubing). Another unique feature is the step is also a structural gusset that is made out of 1/8" plate and dimple died for superior weight distribution and reinforcement.
ok. I see so the slider is made of thicker metal than I thought, so it is going from 1/4 to 3/16 inch thickness. Good info. I just ordered the u-bolts. With the storm no telling when they will come in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom