Rock Slider Question (1 Viewer)

How many of you out there have welded your rock sliders on to the frame, and what sort of problems have you run into because of this?

Is it better just to weld it into the rocker panel?

Trapper50cal

TEQ Frame of Mind
Supporting Vendor

Weld diamonds to the frame then weld the rockers to the diamonds (distributes force correctly) Can't weld to the rocker, that would defeat the purpose of protecting them. They can't stand the force. There are a few threads on this...

Bolt them on, I've had Solid Rock Off-Road bolt on sliders for years and they haven't budged and have taken a ton of abuse. I lift the truck by them and will be able to take them off if I ever need to, can't do that once they're welded. ;)

Trapper50cal

TEQ Frame of Mind
Supporting Vendor

The ones on mine that the PO put on are bolted brackets that are tacked in a few places.

But I thought that drilling holes...unless sleeved and welded...will drecrease the structural integrity of the frame much in the same way vertical welds would...wouldn't it? Just curious...

rover67

SILVER Star

I welded mine to the frame.. and while i love how secure they are... it's going to be a problem if I ever decide to paint the truck right. just a thought.

I'll be welding mine on. If I do need to take them off I can always cut them and then weld them on again. Not that big a deal.

Trapper50cal

TEQ Frame of Mind
Supporting Vendor

Those are welded only to body sheet metal??? not anywhere else? How do you weld such thick metal to such thin metal? And do you expect it to provide any protection?

Wile E Coyote

Out in the streets, they call it murder!

I've seen sliders welded directly to the rockers on Dodge Rams and Ramchargers with surprising success. It's all about spreading the load. A hit to the slider is spread to quite a large area of sheetmetal. As far as welding 1/8-3/16" to 20 ga, it's not easy unless you're of a gifted few, but it is doable with average welding skills.
I personally will use the more common to-the-frame method.

If you weld vertically you create a weak strip that can break. If you have to, weld lengthwise with the frame. I believe in the SROR method.

kling-on

Kool Arrow

cut off the rockers and weld em to the frame :meh:

3legs to the frame

rockers cut off so there at the bottom of the doors

they have been wheeled hard and put up bent A and B piller of the cage it tied to em :hillbilly:

Last edited:
Mine are welded.
Love em!
Came OFF of a rock on the rubicon to land with the FULL WEIGHT of the passenger side of the rig on one below it. I CRINGED when it happened...Nothing was amiss.
However the ability to take them on and off as needed would be VERY NICE!

Chicago

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom