1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rock on!!! They started on the pond behind my house!!!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by tabraha, Jul 12, 2005.

1. tabraha

tabraha Hello My Name is: TAD SILVER Star

I come home yesterday and the pond we were slated to get put in 2 weeks from now was started!!! It'll be ~ 1 Acre once it's done @ 10' depth.

That's an awesome surprise :cool:

2. Arleaux

Arleaux

Cool.

Thats pretty deep, what are you stocking it with?

3. chuglife

chuglife

sweeeeeet

go wheel in the hole before they fill it in

4. mabrodis

mabrodis

Cool...any peticular reason why they are making a pond? I was not aware that people just went out and dug ponds...sounds cool, just not something I've heard of...

Definetly wheel in it before it's full of water, heck even when it's filling up, maybe with like 3-4' of water... :D

5. mj1015

mj1015

Where do you live? Lots of good fossil hunting in newly dug ponds in the Charleston/Summerville area.

6. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Tad,Are they doing a cut and fill to dam the ground water?

We stock them with these in West Australia. They are Marron ,a local freshwater lobster:D
    This is a big one although they come bigger

[​IMG]

7. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

Awesome. I was sitting here thinking how awesome it would be to have an acre to skate on in the Winter then I saw you're from SC...DOH!....In any event, that will be a sweet pond.

8. tabraha

Chris & Rosco: We are going to stock the pond with bass, bream and I'm not sure what else! It will vary in depth so the 10' is max depth.

mabrodis: No reason other than for recreation and looks. I'd like to put in my "He-man woman haters" clubhouse back there one day. I've been wheeling the Tacoma and getting poser flex shots and will do the same with the 100, as soon as my wife brings it back from the trip she is on!!! The Taco is actually parked on a piece of blue granite about the size of the truck :eek:

mj1015:
    I'm up in Newberry county near Lake Murray and I'll be looking for artifacts for sure. We find a fair amount of arrowheads and I'll keep an eye out for fossils too. Also keep an eye out for civil war relics too.

Rosco: it will be a cut and fill pond catching runoff water. There is a helluva spring back behind where I was taking the picture from and our original plan was to use that and place a 1.5-2Ac pond down stream from that. When we looked into it we would have ended up having to replace wetlands so at that time we decided a runoff pond would have to do. Freshwater lobster huh? That sounds like a good idea!

stayalert: Come on down about Febuary and I'll have about an 1/8" thick layer maybe. :doh: I'll watch :popcorn:

I'll keep posting pics as it comes along.

9. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

stayalert: Come on down about Febuary and I'll have about an 1/8" thick layer maybe. :doh: I'll watch :popcorn:

LOL I can see it now....lacing up and playing hockey wearing a wetsuit, lifejacket and throwbag tied to my waist....

10. swank60

swank60

The state of Texas has ONE natural lake. Every other lake here is man made.

Also in TX, if it's a man-made pond (most are) it's called a "tank".

When they say it's like a whole other country here, they kind of mean it.

--cool pond though, tabraha. That's awesome!

11. flintknapper

flintknapper

If you find arrowheads...post them here (I can identify them for ya). Go ahead and add structure for the fish before it floods with water.
    Bass and Bream are all you'll have to add. You'll likely end up with Crappie, Bluegills, etc. too (even if you don't stock them).

We have a "fish pond" about 1-1/4 acres and enjoy it alot.

And like Swank said....its a "tank" here.

12. clemson55

clemson55

Swank, thats one more lake then SC has. Every lake in SC is Manmade.

13. Jman

Jman

Awesome! What's it setting you back, if you don't mind?

Both the dug ponds I've spent a lot of time in were fed by springs--if there is any, any way to divert some running water, even if just a stream, it will be a lot sweeter in the summer time (cleaner, cooler), but you'll have more of a time dealing with erosion.

Anyway, real nice. Nice looking land.

14. tabraha

I'll have to get back to you with a better idea of price. They gave a ballpark but now that it's actually started I'll have firm numbers. Basically the price of a new car.

The springfed ponds around here have a harder battle with vegetation compared to the runoff ponds I've noticed, although they look alot nicer after a heavy rain shower and like you said they're cleaner and cooler for sure.

It just dropped a TON of rain. I think I'll go to the pond :D
    More pics to come!!!

15. acolella

acolella

Not to rain on the parade but that pond will attract a lot of mosquitos if left untreated; maybe the fish will control them. Reason why I say this is because I live in a housing developement within a golf coarse with a lot of man made ponds. Mosquitos were taking over the development for awhile until they sprayed a bit and were going to add fish soon. I swear, the biggest one I seen was about 1-1/2" long plus. I live in Long Island.

16. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    I see folks dig ponds around here sometimes.............in the end they get a wetland and the county sticks a wetland buffer on them.........sometimes making it very hard to build a home(or divide the land)

But ponds are cool........if it doesnt negitively impact your land

17. tabraha

Your not raining on anyone's parade; its South Carolina!! It's already swarming with mosquitos :D Plus there's already a small branch, and a creek running through the property which feeds a 50,000 acre lake that is around 2 miles away. http://www.lakemurray.com/history.htm

Our state motto should be "Skeeters are a way of Life" :cool:

Here's progress: We had 2.5 inches of rain today. I had the taco walking sideways through the mud with my wife saying, " I sure am glad you do this every day!"

18. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Swank....when I first moved to Texas the first dove season rolled around and I was asked to go. I love bird hunting so on the way out I asked what is the "method"....do you walk a field...ect....I was told....the place we were going has a tank and that we would spread out around it and just wait.

My Nebraska mind pictured what I called a TANK...as a 8' diameter metal watering trough...then I pictured use 3 guys spreading out around it. :D

It is a whole nother country...

19. tabraha

Tevor that's down around SRS, everybody's strange down there in that glow-in-the-dark sort of way :D
    Just kidding!

Seriously, it's great fishing (not necessarily catching) in a tranquil body of water enjoying the sounds of nature or just watching nature; or as most of my inlaws do, shooting nature :) (wildlife photography is a hobby of mine)
    Also, I grew up around family ponds having get togethers around them and want to be able to do the same for my family down the road. Around our part a pond is a family/friends oriented place of entertainment too so I guess ponds are multi-purpose and a part of the culture without a doubt. I'm just glad it's a family-oriented culture.

As far as Texas goes:
    I had only seen people pay to fish in a pond in Kentucky prior to life in Texas. That is a foreign concept. I wonder how widespread that is? Texas is also the only place where you can have 3 pinzgauers show up at your business and when you ask your boss, "What the hell are those for?" and get a reply of: "Those are for duck hunting!" no one is shocked. :)

20. mooker82

mooker82

Being originally from Greenwood, SC and seeing that you are in Newberry, I just cant help but see a good ole "mudrun" going on before that pond is finished.