Rock hit T-fitting now no brakes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
Had a good weekend of camping and my 73 drove like a champ until we were almost all the way down the mountain. I was using the brakes all the way and no problem until we were on flat ground. I lost all brakes. I thought my push rod in my booster backed out since the road was really bumpy and rocky so I adjusted it. It was a bit better but then I lost all brakes again. Did this a few times and then thought I was leaking out pressure. I got to the back and noticed a bunch of fluid on the rear T-fitting. It I was able to crank down the driver's side line a bit, but it looked like a rock hit the T-fitting. Can fluid come out of the bolt that secures the T-fitting to the axle? Or is it solid and only allows fluid through the screw fittings? I can wiggle around the top of the fitting with the cylinder cap.

Otherwise, what would cause brakes to work perfectly then loose them? No vac. leaks and new booster / master.

Do not see how it would leak at the bolt. The fitting just has a solid loop that the bolt mounts it to the axle tube. All the fluid is in the t itself. Take it off the axle and apply pressure to inspect the leaking area better.

Jeremy

Is the resevoir on the master cylinder empty? My 72 has seperate front and rear reservoirs and when the rear has leaked out all fluid before, the front still worked fine and I had almost no loss of overall brakeing performance.

Is the resevoir on the master cylinder empty? My 72 has seperate front and rear reservoirs and when the rear has leaked out all fluid before, the front still worked fine and I had almost no loss of overall brakeing performance.

All fluid is there. Brakes were working fine. I was running them heavy going down 7,000 feet in under 20 miles with my camping trailer. I was using my gears as much as possible, but still had to use the brakes before big turns that were along 1000 foot drops. They worked fine until flat land then nothing. AS I said, thought my push rod backed out with vibration (really rocky rutted road). Kept adjusting the rod and couldn't get it tight enough. Brakes wouldn't lock up and when it started to grab, it would pull hard right and take 6X the stopping distance. Got under the rig and noticed fluid all over the fitting the the cap on the top was dentet. I was able to crank down the driver's side compression fitting about 1.5 full turns.

At this point, I hope that the fitting backed out and I lost pressure there and air got into the line and no back brakes. But, and a big but, most of the stopping comes from the front and I can't figure out why the front didn't at least start to drag after extending the push rod about 9 full turns.

Anyone have other suggestions on what this could be besides just a loose fitting and having air in the line? (but no noticable fluid loss from the res).

Booster died? Master Died? Both are new installed for 6 months and workig fine. Perfect brakes.

Anyone have other suggestions on what this could be besides just a loose fitting and having air in the line? (but no noticable fluid loss from the res).

Booster died? Master Died? Both are new installed for 6 months and workig fine. Perfect brakes.

How are your brakes working now ?? From your postings I assume fine. If so I would guess your brakes just got way overheated ciming off the mountain. However, did you smell hot brakes ?

And when you say you 'lost all brakes'. Exactly what happened ? Did the pedal go all the way to the floor or did you just get a hard, high pedal with greatly reduced stopping performance ?

If the latter, and if your brakes are now fine & no loss of fluid I would suspect hot brakes coming off the mnt.

John

Thanks for the reply. No they are not working fine. They never over heated (I could put my hands on them and not enough to burn myself) and the pedal would go all the way to the floor and worked maybe at 10% of stopping power even with adjusting the push rod (normally that would casue the brakes to drag or totally lock up). I had a tow truck get me the rest of the way home. Too busy to work on it right now. I'll take a look tomorrow.

I was hoping for someone with a familiar story to say, oh that happened to me and this is exactly what the problem was . . .

When I first noticed it, I actually stopped and had a pizza so it sat for over an hour after comming down the hill. After sitting, it had no more brakes, just slop and 10% stopping power.

You have fluid where you shouldn't. You have a leak. Your brakes aren't working right. The line is probably cracked. You were smart to get a tow. Don't go anywhere until you figure it out. Lives are at stake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom