Rock Auto radiator woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ordered a new TYC radiator from rock auto. Arrived but one of the mounting frames was bent. Sent it back for a replacement. Just got said replacement everything looks good until I realize the radiator has 2 right frames on it so the hole for one of the bolts with the rubber bushings is on the wrong side. Figured I would set it in and see the fit, I guess one of the frames is still off because it wouldn’t set on the mounting brackets. Pulled it out and noticed there’s more of a gap on one side than the other. Too miffed to measure. Now on the hunt for another radiator, wanting to get one from 1800radiator since they have one in stock but it’s a brand I’ve never heard of, so I’ll put my impatience aside. Rant/vent over.

The QC with the TYC 1918 is pretty hit or miss. Just keep ordering from somewhere that has a good return policy and you'll get a good one. I got lucky and got a good one on the first try from Amazon 😮

Rock Auto wont ship to Colorado anymore--something about sales tax.

Try a Koyorad from Amazon. Mine fit great, first try and was packaged carefully.

1604076630119.png

Just teasing us.
or you going to tell us details like Make and model how it Fits and how it work's
And lastly price.

It's a Ron Davis raddy. Most people don't consider them because they are stupid spendy. But worth every penny, IMO. Direct bolt on. Fits perfectly. All aluminum construction. Just shy of $1,200.

It's a Ron Davis raddy. Most people don't consider them because they are stupid spendy. But worth every penny, IMO. Direct bolt on. Fits perfectly. All aluminum construction. Just shy of $1,200.
The BIG question did it lower the cooling temp over a stock radiator ?
Thanks

The BIG question did it lower the cooling temp over a stock radiator ?
Thanks

Unfortunately, I can't directly answer that. I only had the truck for a little bit before I pulled my engine to replace the head gasket. During the process, I ended up putting in a new short block from Toyota. I decided to spring for a RD raddy because I have used them before and I am a big fan, and my radiator was original and showing some signs of wear (damage to fins, small cracks developing at mounts, etc). During the short time before the engine replacement, I didn't really notice any over-heating issues, and the PO said he never had any overheating issues. But, since replacement, I have ran around in 95+ degree weather over the mountains of northern New Mexico with no heating issues. I only have the stock temp gauge, so I can't give actual numbers - but the gauge never moves from it's normal position.

YMMV, as this is basically a brand new cooling system through and through.

Last edited:
The QC with the TYC 1918 is pretty hit or miss. Just keep ordering from somewhere that has a good return policy and you'll get a good one. I got lucky and got a good one on the first try from Amazon 😮

Some counties they won't. They wouldn't ship to my old Jefferson County address, but they will now with my Larimer county address. I had my parts mailed to a buddy when they wouldn't ship to me. Pain in the butt, but damn their wipers are cheap :)

Ordered a new TYC radiator from rock auto. Arrived but one of the mounting frames was bent. Sent it back for a replacement. Just got said replacement everything looks good until I realize the radiator has 2 right frames on it so the hole for one of the bolts with the rubber bushings is on the wrong side. Figured I would set it in and see the fit, I guess one of the frames is still off because it wouldn’t set on the mounting brackets. Pulled it out and noticed there’s more of a gap on one side than the other. Too miffed to measure. Now on the hunt for another radiator, wanting to get one from 1800radiator since they have one in stock but it’s a brand I’ve never heard of, so I’ll put my impatience aside. Rant/vent over.
Can't you use the side pieces off your old radiator? They are removable.

OEM Toyota (TRAD) radiator (16400-66081), perfect fit and finish, cools well, lasts 20+ years. Smart shopper price ~ $400. Some online dealers won't ship
a radiator due to damage claims however. IME if you develop a relationship with your local Toyota Dealer parts professional you might get a break on the retail price. FWIW.

Really? That solves my mystery last week.

Tried to order parts to my door and got that message. Then I put in my PO box and they sent them no problem.

That’s not a Rock Auto issue, that’s a TYC issue. No way would I order anything that is dependent on the luck of the draw as to whether I receive a good one.

The old radiator side pieces are welded on unfortunately
That must be a cheap radiator then. I've had a Denso and also a Koyo and both had the removable side pieces just like the factory. I got my new Koyo from Walmart.com for $184 a few weeks ago.

That must be a cheap radiator then. I've had a Denso and also a Koyo and both had the removable side pieces just like the factory. I got my new Koyo from Walmart.com for $184 a few weeks ago.

No idea, I figured it was the original. But maybe I’m wrong. Will be glad to finally get a radiator put back in though

No idea, I figured it was the original. But maybe I’m wrong. Will be glad to finally get a radiator put back in though
I ordered the TYC from rockauto as well and received a dud the first time. The fins were smashed on both sides during manufacturing before the side mounts were put on. I contacted rockauto and returned it. The second TYC i received was perfect. After installing it, I can definitely say it lowered my temps. My needle, which is a bad gauge, usually stayed at the half way point. Now the needle remains slightly below the half way point. I need to setup my Torque app to confirm the temperature.

I bought my TYC on amazon. First one arrived damaged but the second one was good. Easy return policy, now you just drop it off at Kohls and they take care of everything. Kohls also gives you a 25 or 35 % coupon for your entire in store purchase.

Just ordered a koyo from options auto salon. $163, let’s hope this one works out

Are any of the low cost radiators made somewhere other than Chyna?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom