Rock and roll (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m coming back to an old question . I would like to know if there is a way of stiffing the suspension on a 2008 FJ cruiser? Called the Toyota service center and was told that they don’t have a stronger,( bigger diameter), sway bar for my fj. They also said there wasn’t a same height, but stiffer coil spring product in there inventory .
Im not trying to raise the vehicle, just stiffen it up. Seams like in the day I could shop for a thicker sway bar for hot hod builds . And also with measurements of the coils I could order stronger ones. Anyway, I could always air bag it but didn’t want to go that rout.
All my bushings are good as well as the from end ball joints. I don’t see a problem and I think its just the nature of the vehicle. I owned two FJ 40s , 1978 and 1980. Both would not be as susceptible to wind ,( rocking ), or felt loose pulling a light trailer. Any help would be appreciated . I attached a picture of tires. Though maybe they are the culprit
EAA3EC26-4533-4E65-974B-4F99F696F02B.jpeg

I am sure a lot of it is just worn. Making sure the struts and shocks are up to par is one big item. Also make sure your alignment has as much positive caster as possible...this helps it track solidly on the freeway. You could add some air bags to the rear springs (the helper ones for towing) which could certainly stiffen it up a bit. LT tires will make it feel very stiff as well..... Lastly, to get a 'standard height spring' many coilovers will go on at zero lift if you choose.

I am sure a lot of it is just worn. Making sure the struts and shocks are up to par is one big item. Also make sure your alignment has as much positive caster as possible...this helps it track solidly on the freeway. You could add some air bags to the rear springs (the helper ones for towing) which could certainly stiffen it up a bit. LT tires will make it feel very stiff as well..... Lastly, to get a 'standard height spring' many coilovers will go on at zero lift if you choose.
Thanks gor all the information. Gives me somthing to wort with. It’s a 2008 so I think I will start with coil overs.

Before I put Icon coilovers on mine, I tried OME 883 coils on the front of mine first. They did a good job of firming up the front suspension, reducing nose dive on braking, and improved handling/cornering, without adding any lift. I ultimately wanted a lift and hence replaced them, but they were an improvement for stock height suspension.

Before I put Icon coilovers on mine, I tried OME 883 coils on the front of mine first. They did a good job of firming up the front suspension, reducing nose dive on braking, and improved handling/cornering, without adding any lift. I ultimately wanted a lift and hence replaced them, but they were an improvement for stock height suspension.
Thanks, and I looked at the OME 883. Actually it said OME 2883. I think it was for two springs. But the were not stock height springs.

Thanks, and I looked at the OME 883. Actually it said OME 2883. I think it was for two springs. But the were not stock height springs.

I bought those OME coils in 2006 or 2007, so maybe their numbering system has changed since then. I did put a steel plate bumper and a winch on at the same time; possibly the weight of those counterbalanced the minimal lift? It's been so long I don't really remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom