Builds Rocinante | The 1986 Extra Cab 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And she is still going... stay tuned for my new rear axle.
bigsluice.jpg
littlesluice2.jpg
rubicon2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice flex in that last pic... :clap:

Quick update to the old truck. The new 9.5" Land Cruiser rear axle is in.

Also, I ditched the beadlocks wheels for a set of LX450 wheels and 315 BFG's. Its almost ready for another summer of wheeling and fishing

DSC01193_small.jpg
DSC01221_small.jpg
DSC01298_small.jpg
IMG_5133[1].JPG

I've gotten through another summer of wheeling and fishing the Sierra Nevada's. I've gone up highway 4 multiple times, lake tahoe, big sur, the feather river, and this weekend the Dusy Ershim. I've put more miles on it this summer than I have in the last 4! With the durability of the new rear axle and how smooth it is on new tires, I have the confidence to take this old truck everywhere again.
IMG_5751.JPG
IMG_5345.JPG
IMG_5293.JPG
Big Sur.jpg
Big Fish!.jpg

Love the truck. Love the name. My dad had the same nickname for his bicycle that he hand-built back in 1977.

Reactions: GRM
I love this truck. I am building my first gen in a similar fashion. Please keep updated pictures of your truck so I can continue to admire it.

But when are you gonna fix that dent in the rear quarter? :D:p

But when are you gonna fix that dent in the rear quarter? :D:p

Not for a long time. The truck looks clean, but there is a dent in every panel of this truck. Long term, I'd like to import a 4-door cab and redo the body, but that is on the back burner, as my current project is my FJ40.

I love this truck. I am building my first gen in a similar fashion. Please keep updated pictures of your truck so I can continue to admire it.

Ask and you shall receive.
Here are a few photos I took on a hunting trip a few weeks back.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
And a few more for a recent Hollister Hills trip with the Nor Cal Land Rover Club

Those r 315s with the new all trains right?

And thanks for the pics.

Exactly. I went to 315/75r16 ko2's on 16x8 LX450 wheels.

image.jpeg

I made a new upgrade this week. It should make my Rubicon and Dusy trips just alittle bit easier.

image.jpeg

With alittle help, the wildernest is clean and the new bed is starting to take shape.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Ok this is by far my favorite mini on the web period! Its almost as if you built the truck out of my head. I have an 86 xcab that I plan on building, also as a get me to remote fishing spots rig. One thing I would like to know is how well the fiberglass shell held up to offroad abuse, it appeared to hold up just fine but I have heard horror stories of shells falling apart on the trail. How did you have it mounted? I think that is the biggest problem with offroad and fiberglass shells.

The last shell lasted 4 years before it started to crack apart. Now I'm onto a wildernest camper- and after the first trip it's starting to rip the bed apart.

I'll figure it out- but I wouldn't do these trips any other way.

image.jpeg

I made it back up to the Rubicon for Memorial Day this year. What a fantastic time with a fantastic group of people.

Photo May 29, 2 31 29 PM.jpg
Photo Jun 03, 7 20 20 PM.jpg
Photo Jun 03, 7 21 37 PM.jpg
Photo Jun 03, 7 22 27 PM.jpg
Photo Jun 03, 7 24 35 PM (1).jpg

Amazing looking truck. I always look forward to seeing new pictures. The wildernest is a nice addition. I plan to run my 82 with a regular camper and have a rack system for my roof top tent as a different option. Hopefully I will have pictures of my truck on the Rubicon in the next year or two.

So the bed is tearing apart due to the weight of the Wildernest? Are you planning on reinforcing the bed sides somehow?

Again, great looking truck

I have a trip planned this weekend! First time out in a year. I'll try and post up next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom