Rochester carburetor choke cable bracket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

projectTuRD

SILVER Star
Threads
My father pointed out that my carburetor may be missing the bracket that holds the outer housing of the choke cable.
I could have sworn the choke worked prior to me pulling the stuff out of the dash to clean them up and maybe I installed it wrong?
I haven’t taken anything off the carburetor.
The choke indeed just pushes the sheath out instead of pull the cable in when the knob is pulled.
Anybody have any input?

E3782C3B-17DC-4E96-80D8-9F4E601000A4.jpeg

94E6971E-99AA-48DB-9063-B45F61DCAA14.jpeg

It’s a home brew bracket that shares mounting with the two screws on the back of the air horn. Per old-school MAF the bracket also held a few spare jets for the carburetor in case the PO felt like tinkering with the toilet bowl.

It’s a home brew bracket that shares mounting with the two screws on the back of the air horn. Per old-school MAF the bracket also held a few spare jets for the carburetor in case the PO felt like tinkering with the toilet bowl.
Any idea on how to get the choke cable to function properly without that bracket?

Any idea on how to get the choke cable to function properly without that bracket?
Form follows function: you need a bracket to anchor the cable housing. Fold a strip of metal about 3/4” wide over itself with a 16 penny nail pinched in the fold. Then further pinch the fold in a vice. You have a bracket.

Remove nail. Drill hole in other end of the bracket to anchor it to the carb.

You may have to do this more than once to get the right distance from the carb to cable. From the looks of it, MAF probably took three tries before they started selling them.😛

Note: although I jest, I wanted a hand throttle on my 40 that wasn’t equipped for one, and went through the same routine to make myself one. Not picture worthy, but the form follows the function.😉

Ok, here's some ideas/stuff to look at- - -to help clean up your mess.
1. Look at my ebay #265757251913, much cleaner cable than yours, plus mine is trimmable to exact length desired, and includes the brass cable fitting you need.
2. Look at my ebay #265530503055, see the L bracket in the center of the photo, you can bolt that to the driver's side rear corner carburetor mounting bolt, then use an L bracket up from that to mount the cable.
If you get these items from me make sure to ask me to include the Holley 350 installation instruction sheet/drawings because it shows you how to mount this cable on the Holley, and it appears to me mounting will be almost identical on your Rochester.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom