Rochester Carb Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a '74 f engine that a p.o. put a rochester 2 barrel on. It has a man a fre adapter, so I think it may have been one of their old carb kits. I'd like to rebuild or exchange, but I can't positively identify the carb. The only markings that I find are:

GM 2 jet Rochester RP

Does anyone have a rochester # or original application(i.e. gm 250, '70 impala), so that I could get this from a local parts counter? I called man-a-fre and they didn't have any info-said it had been decades since they sold those kits!

Oh Yeah- I am aware that most everyone on the board agrees that a properly rebuilt stock aisin is the best carb. I would like to go back to stock, but it is wayyyy too much $$$$.

There are so many different Roch. 2 bbl carbs trying to ID one without any numbers I think would be a rather large uphill battle, seeing how they are as common a carb as you can get.. if I was you I would just find one on a old straight 6 GM product, make sure its square (float bowl and base plate is not warped) and in good condition to rebuild, and just rebuild the one I can positively ID, I can see a lot of headaches and wasted money messing with a carb you cant ID..

Hey thats what Ive got. A 2bbl rochester on my 74 with the f engine... I think I have the part numbers from the carb kit at the house if that would help.. I think mine came off a 70's chevy car thats as far as I could narrow it down to. Shoot me a pm if you want the part number.

I can provide some info that may help. I've since switched back to a stock OEM carb but I still have the info in my old book. It may not be the exact same for yours...but many (a wloe bunch) of the carb parts were interchangeable from one Rochester 2 barrel to another...so you should do fine. However, if I remember correctly once you remove your Rochester you should be able to find numbers somewhere on the carb that will give you the correct info to buy a rebuild kit. Any Napa or good parts house should be able to assist. Here is what I have in my old records.

1) Delco Rochester 2G
2 2 barrel
3) Rochester kit # 7012452 or 7009930
4) Jiffy kit # AZ09RAX (that may be A2 and not AZ)

And those Rochester #'s just may be the #'s on the carb...don't really remember...but this should help you out. Also, when I bought this carb from Man-a-fre I think they said it was from a '67 or so Chevy/GMC truck.

If all else fails, post back up & I think I can locate an old rebuild kit. By the way when I switched back to OEM I was very happy. My Rochester ran really well so I didn't see any real power gains but no loss either. The big benifit was MPG shot up from 9-11 to 12-15....consistently.

Long winded...but hope this helps you.

John

Napa carries the rebuild kits. AMC Jeeps also used a 2Jet.

Most people will tell you to junk it, and get a good Aisin. I'm still running a 2Jet, but the mileage is horrible

I had the same issue, no identifying numbers are on there are useful, they don't specify what year or model or anything, you are just going to have to guess. I have tried... Since then I've gone back to OEM. CarQuest or NAPA will have kits, good luck!

Find out what brand names sells a rebuild kits for the Rochester and then go to thier site. I ID'ed a carb on my LV that way. It ended being one from like a 50's era one barrel Pontiac carb.....I than went on Ebay and sure enough found that same carb on ebay. Just cusious if they still had some for sale on ebay.

have the same issue on my 75fj40 the guys at napa told me all the kits are generic every 2b rot works with this kit.. rebuild mine still runs not perfect ..i'm going with the weber for the money!! if you need a donor carb i will sell one in a week or so!!!!good luck cub!!!!

I had the old Man-a-Fre Rochester setup on my 71, and after rebuilding it twice I decided to bite the bullet and get a Weber. I have never looked back. 4 mpg better than rochester and quite a bit more power.(as much as a 200k moter can pump out)

TK

i had mine rebuilt twice and the damn thing never worked.
i went to autozone and got a reman and it's never ran better!

i think i payed right around $100.
i can probably bet the part number for you if you want.

i had mine rebuilt twice and the **** thing never worked.
i went to autozone and got a reman and it's never ran better!

i think i payed right around $100.
i can probably bet the part number for you if you want.

Hi Rusmannx,

I just got a re-man Rochester 2GC. Can you please tell me if you're running the O.E. Mechanical fuel pump or an electric?

I'm having issues with not getting the right amount of fuel to the carb it seems. From what I've read, the Rochester 2 Jet likes fuel at around 3lbs?

Any help is appreciated. Trying to get this pig back on the trail.

-DZ

:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom