Builds Robin the FZJ80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wow, those seat covers do look great! What color did you get?

Also what steering wheel cover do you have on there?

The color code is 100 Taupe which turned out to be a fairly good match. The steering wheel cover is some cheapo one from O'Reillys, I cant remember the brand, it has held up pretty well so far.

Reactions: b16
So, another update dump. Since it's summer the cruiser is getting used more and changed less. A quick roundup of the things done:

-Painted and bolted up the hitch and put the spare back under the rig, leveled so its up and out of the way.
-Found out two plastic boxes fit perfectly under the rear platform, one for tools and spares one for the kitchen kit. Both have subsequently been taken out since we have favored using a tent. I had forgot how much space is back there without the platform, its been much more usable around town. The platform can go in when needed.
-Blacked out the emblems because I'm not a drug dealer (it had the 'Gold Package' and thats all I could think of when I saw them).
-Spent like $15 at the hardware store and made some limb risers. They work well and are an easy on and off for when they are needed.
-Got a Yakima Rocketbox for some more storage. Used it for the Oregon honeymoon and it is great. we can have a whole campsite stored, and locked, up there, making it really easy to set up camp.
-Recently put in two constant hot outlets in the back. One is a Blue Sea 12v plug for the fridge and the like, the other is a trolling motor plug rated to 60amps for the air compressor.
-In true Mud fashion, I put in a disco cup holder. I didn't realize how much I'd use it.

Recently we have done a few trips, but nothing to crazy. My wife and I went on our honey moon through Bend and the Oregon Coast, got on a few dirt roads, but mostly pavement. We've also done a lot of camping. This last weekend we did our first solo trip up Fortune Creek Trail to Galagher Head Lake. While we were up there NFS closed the trail because of the Jolly Mountain Fire. We found out that evening so we stayed the night and were the last out in the morning. Not the best feeling camping 3.5 miles from a forest fire. I think the fire has hit that area and I hope it doesn't do too much damage. Also ran into a beautiful blue 40 series and another 80 (in burgandy no less) on the way up!

Anyway, on with the photos!

Below is the Drawer system I had (now removed) and the outlets:

Cupholder:

Fortune Creek:

nice color

WP_20170805_13_08_35_Pro.jpg

Played with the dash colors yesterday. I changed the cluster and shifter to white LEDs from SuperbrightLEDs. looks good. I need to play with switching some of the other bulbs to LEDs since the original 74s are starting to burn out. The Glovebox and ash/coin tray are LED lights now too. I got a red Type B for the emergency flashers, but it doesn't light it up evenly. This thread was incredibly useful; Definitive led thread for 80s, so I have to thank @treerootCO for all the leg work!

I also got amber covers for the Rigid fogs which has been great, A little easier to use around town and doesn't wash out my low beams.

The Stevens Pass area got a bunch of snow this weekend, so a friend of mine, his club buddy (Green Xterra) and I got out and enjoyed the fresh snow and a little snowshoeing. We ran into a first gen XTerra at the top that had gotten stuck and they camped the night (that was their plan anyway, but just not there). I just needed chains for the last little bit around their SUV and my friend's XTerra needed a winch off some slick snow, but we were able to get them out and on their way and do some snowshoeing. Now I want a winch... :D

The new hood and tailgate struts I put in made a huge difference in the cold, but other than making sure the fluids are all topped off the only change has been the shorter CB antenna (so I can finally park in some garages).

Finally got a post thaw trip in up to stampede pass. Made it a ways in until we hit a swift moving water crossing, and got stuck some. In all a good run. Fun with the Hella 500s on, which truthfully are mainly for the classic look and some extra light. The re-built platform in the back did really well, no squeaks.

Also played recovery duty for two Xterras (which there might be a chance the cruiser had to get a tug too). The green one is on 35" M/Ts and fully locked. the 'puddle' ended up being deeper than thought.

I've dialed back on the build ideas a little since this is my DD. I'm aiming to get OME stock heigh lift springs in to start replacing the tired suspension, and finally get the trail gear spindle lock nuts on, probably with new bearings. I think I can hear them starting to act up. I recently re-tightened the hub nuts that had loosened again, and replaced the hub studs with new ARP ones. and touched up the hubs with some new undercarriage paint. Ill follow up on that in the next post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom