Roadtrip North with a Southern truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What should I be concerned with? Oil is clean, PM's are good, antifreeze (green) is fresh, is there anything I should worry about? I left Florida this morning (60 F) and it's in the 20's in Illinois, and where I'm headed it's below zero.

Full size battery that's in good shape? Light engine oil? 5w30 instead of 20w50? Good tread depth on your tires, and maybe some snow chains....

Windshield washer fluid that is rated to the temperature you expect. Window scraper and brush to remove the snow and ice. Paper towels to wipe the salt spray off the headlights.

I just drove back from Detroit and was really surprised how much washer fluid I went through just to keep the nasty stuff off the windshield. Definitely a +1 on the paper towels to clean the head lights. Might also carry some Windex to clean your mirrors. You will want to clean the truck really well once you get back home. I was amazed the effects of the salt on the truck in just the short period of time I was up north. Wash you truck really well and wax it before you go, and then wash it really good again when you get home. I am going to stick a sprinkler under the truck and let it run for a while to help wash the salt nasty off the under carriage.

I always carry an extra gallon of washer fluid when I head to snowy climates. I like a clean windshield. I usually use the gas station wiper thingy to clean the headlights and mirrors every time I fuel up. I also learned the first time that the fluid I used in Austin didn't cut in the cold, the lines froze. Now I make sure I buy the "cold climate" kind when I head north.

Id operate your heater to full hot if you never have. The heater valve tends to bust at the most inopportune time. Like when you need it. good luck!

Id operate your heater to full hot if you never have. The heater valve tends to bust at the most inopportune time. Like when you need it. good luck!

X2. I always run the rear heater on low to keep coolant circulating and the truck innards nice and toasty. You never know when I-95 or I-80 or any of the other s*** NE routes are going to pileup and leave you stranded!!

I would make sure that you coolant is mixed 50/50 with water, we see a lot of busted radiators around here especially during the first real freeze when people forget to add coolant before the winter especially when temperatures drop down to 0 deg range:eek:, other than that check tires, have extra window washer, jumper cables, emergency kit and make sure that you don't speed especially after rain or wet snow that can become a black ice and make things a bit surprising for motorists. Good luck.:cheers:

A good set of gloves and a hat thrown in the glove box. NO fun changing a tire in those temps without gloves. A couple gallons of distilled water maybe?

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom