Road Trip Prep for an LX that has been sitting for 1yr+ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker on the forms and finally joined to see your advice. I have an opportunity to purchase my Mother in Law’s 04 LX470. I live in Los Angeles but the truck is in Houston. I was hoping to trailer it back but realized that it’s too heavy for the Uhaul Auto Transport trailers. So, it looks like I will fly out and drive it back. She‘s the original owner of the truck and the important stuff has been decently maintained over the years. It has a ton of miles (308k) but I’ve read that these V8s are pretty darn bulletproof. The AHC is also not working properly so that will either get repaired (if cheap fix) or replaced. My plan is to bring it back and build a mini overlander to use on weekend trips, etc.

Now for the fun part (and the reason I came here to ask for advice)... When the truck failed to pass inspection, it was parked and replaced with another vehicle. It’s been around a year since it has been sitting. I’m very mechanically inclined and going to give the truck a good evaluation on my next trip back to assess if anything needs to be fixed pre cross country road trip.

That being said, I’m not super familiar with this platform or Toyota in general. Aside from the basics (fluids, brakes, tires, etc.) - is there anything in particular I should be on the lookout for an FJ like this that has sat up for so long? Anything important to check before firing her up for the first time?

Thanks for any input!
~ Zig

1 year isn't that long, i wouldn't worry too much about that, just drain the gas and put new gas in, change oil, inspect tires etc...check for animals that might've made the cruiser its home. you have to fix the AHC before driving it back, i drove a truck with blown accumulators home from 20 miles away and i almost parked it on the highway and get it towed home. It's horrible, every dip in the road and you'd get ejected from your seat.

Why did it fail inspection?

I agree with @FxFormat - you have to either fix the AHC or tear it out and replace with LC suspension before you drive back to CA. Too dangerous to drive that far with blown suspension components.

If sat for a year in Houston, I’d say the odds are pretty high that mice or rats have chewed through at least some of the wiring in the engine bay. They really like to build nests in the valley between the heads on top of the block, underneath the intake plenum, where they eat the knock sensor wiring.

Also, it’s a UZJ not FJ!

I agree with these guys.

I'd probably change the fluids, filters and tees, check the belts/tires/brakes/alternator output, and get the suspension fixed before a cross country trip. Plus maybe more depending on what caused it to fail inspection, or what you find when you get there.

1 year old gas isn't great, but will probably run fine. I'd fill up with premium a few times and run a can of injector cleaner through it.

Congrats on the truck!

The axles on the uhaul flatbed auto trailers are beefy dual axles. They can handle the weight of a LX.

Just tell uhaul you'll be towing a non-street legal 94 Miata track car. And don't crash. This is exactly how i *may have* towed a M5 with my LX.

Just ensure your tow vehicle can tug about 4 tons, safely. The uhaul trailer only has breakaway hydraulic brakes and sway a lot when loaded down. You also can't use a WD/AS hitch.

Last edited:
1 year old gas isn't great, but will probably run fine. I'd fill up with premium a few times and run a can of injector cleaner through it.
Yeah, should be able to just pour some HEET in the tank to absorb and burn off any water in the gas from condensation.

I’ll have to do some more research on the AHC and investigate exactly what’s wrong with it. Is there any way to inspect the condition of the timing belt without tearing too much apart? (Or is that not of concern) I believe it failed the sniffer test and the shop told my MIL it needs cats. Not sure how accurate that is or isn’t.

Re: Uhaul... My tow rig is a 7.3 diesel Excursion, so I can definitely tow the load. The Uhaul trailer should fit the wheelbase and track width of the LX. The tire straps may not accommodate the stock tire size, however. The big issue is weight. It looks like the max load on the Uhaul trailers is 5290 lbs, which is about 300 lbs shy of what I found to be the curb weight of these trucks.

I could probably shed some weight from the LX but it would definitely be max loaded on the trailer and I would have to technically be towing ”another car” to get the trailer. I’ve probably rented about a dozen and a half of their AT’s in the past and knock on wood never had an issue. Yes, I would rather tow it vs drive back in its current state.

Either way, I need to get it running first so that will be step one. I appreciate all the input so far, you guys rock!

You would definitely be over the limit of the Uhaul trailer, thought your Excursion could handle it like you mention. Got my buddies 4runner with 33" tires latched down with the straps, so that shouldn't be an issue. Stock LX tires are 31". Just have to decide how much you want to bend the Uhaul rules.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_178d.jpg

Take out all of the seats and toss them in the Ford. Put the spare in the Ford. You'll shed quite a few lbs. out of the LX.

I'm sure you can find a way to pull it off and comply with the spirit of the Uhaul rules.

If you do end up trying to do a "fly and drive", you may want to run the vehicle by a local shop, that's familiar with the 100 series, to get it checked out. Two that I'm familiar with in the area:

Javier's Autos Unlimited
9443 Clay Rd
Houston, TX 77080
javiersautos@att.net
(713) 461-5595

Duggy's Garage
410 Northville Street
Houston, TX, 77037
United States
info@duggysgarage.com
281-849-8201

If you need some inspiration, this thread is always a fun read:

I need to get it running first so that will be step one. I appreciate all the input so far, you guys rock!

RESEARCH will save your bacon @aggiezig . Safety Inspection failure in TX is going to be your first vector as it may point to roadworthiness/safety issues.

I think I'd just pay to have it shipped.

Agree here with @MJK but I'd bet the price for shipping may be less. There are some less-than-truckload flatbeds running the highways and their owners are hungry for business.

Truckload vs. Less than Truckload Freight | Freightquote

Get it home and do your bottom-up assessment in comfort. It may be the best piece of mind you can pay for at this point...

Good luck with your decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom