Road trip mechanical preparation... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I have a 1974 fj43 that I am considering taking on a road trip over new years. The trip consists of 300 miles with an elevation gain of ~4500 feet, most of which is done in the last 50 miles (from coastal Georgia to NC mountains). That said, what are some maintenance items I should perform prior?

I've replaced my radiator and thermostat, rag joint, suspension bushings, changed all fluids, and am about to replace my master clutch cylinder as well as the master brake and booster. Is there anything else you can think of that should be done or am I stupid for wanting to attempt this trip?

I would suggest driving it for awhile before the trip. Try to put over 300 miles on it total through out. Make sure on the drives you get it up to temp and run it pretty hard to see if anything pops up mechanically.
It will be hard to get an elevation like that on the coast but pushing it at 60 or so for a period of time should let you know how the engine and fluid temps will be.

Hi all. I have a 1974 fj43 that I am considering taking on a road trip over new years. The trip consists of 300 miles with an elevation gain of ~4500 feet, most of which is done in the last 50 miles (from coastal Georgia to NC mountains). That said, what are some maintenance items I should perform prior?

I've replaced my radiator and thermostat, rag joint, suspension bushings, changed all fluids, and am about to replace my master clutch cylinder as well as the master brake and booster. Is there anything else you can think of that should be done or am I stupid for wanting to attempt this trip?

300 miles is nothing. sounds to me like this thing needs a thorough going through if you cant trust it for a day trip.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom