Road Trip in Progress! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We drove from MN to the grand canyon. Along the way I eased the 80 thru some slick stuff on steep grades coming thru denver and on thru vail. I took a nap and woke up just before the Ms took the exit that took us south thru Moab.

It looked like it was Jeepers weekend at MOAB but one guy in a familiar looking yellow worked over FJ waved as we passed. He was parked in a long line of jeeps..

We went thru valley of the gods and the other awesome places along the way to the grand canyon.. Then it was off to CA to meet new in laws so we rolled thru the mojave highway.

Been in CA since thursday night. Tomorrow we will work our way up hwy 1 along the coast.. Maybe hit a trail or two along the way. Light stuff for now.. Then on to grand tetons wyoming then rushmore and back home to MN..

what kind of mileage are you getting, i got 18.9 mpg from Grangeville,ID to Wenatchee, Wa, I only got 16.5 on the way but we drove slower on the way up, following the 71 Chev c-20 we picked up at granddads.

I'm jealous here in PA. Highway 1 is awesome, and the Grand Tetons will blow you away. Stop into Jackson Hole and stop for a beer at The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar. Then, grab a burger at the place next door. Have a great rest of the trip.

How slow do you have to drive to get 18.9 mpg? My best was just a touch over 14 with my old 94 and that was on flat east Texas 2 lane highway doing about 65 mph. If I could get 18.9 I might not have considered my diesel swap!
Rusty

By the way, sounds like a great trip, we are heading that way this summer, haven't seen the Tetons since I was a kid, they are impressive! Unfortunately we will be flying (as of now, would like to talk the wife into driving the 80) Have a great trip, post some pics.
Rusty

It looked like it was Jeepers weekend at MOAB but one guy in a familiar looking yellow worked over FJ waved as we passed. He was parked in a long line of jeeps..

It was Easter Jeep Safari. My buddy was down there with his Cherokee...busted a lot of stuff on it. :lol:

One thing to watch if you want to get to 18.6 or even 20mpg with a tail wind on cruise in a 55mpg zone or something... Seen it only once (20mpg)...

Watch the ethanol content of what you fuel up with.. Ever see some mid grade cost less than the low grade at some stations? Oxygenated fuel. Ethanol.. Its a cheap octane booster and eco friendly but lowers MPG.

The stock 1Z does not need 93 octane so I run 85-87 octane with little to no ethanol if I want longer runs between tanks..

BTW the tetons were a near white out.. Only one mile of park road open part of it 6/8 ths the depth of a 32" tire (I wonder how I know?) The wife learned faith in the 80s mountain crossing ability.. Was at some very high alititudes going thru the pass from utah to wyoming (22) all of it sloppy! but amazing. 10% grades.

Fun stuff.... One day I am in a desert.. Next tanning on a beach.. next over the mountains.. Oh yeah we hit the SD badlands national park and wall drug.

LC80Ducati996;[URL="c2c://3176682" said:
3176682][/URL]One thing to watch if you want to get to 18.6 or even 20mpg with a tail wind on cruise in a 55mpg zone or something... Seen it only once (20mpg)...

Watch the ethanol content of what you fuel up with.. Ever see some mid grade cost less than the low grade at some stations? Oxygenated fuel. Ethanol.. Its a cheap octane booster and eco friendly but lowers MPG.

The stock 1Z does not need 93 octane so I run 85-87 octane with little to no ethanol if I want longer runs between tanks..

BTW the tetons were a near white out.. Only one mile of park road open part of it 6/8 ths the depth of a 32" tire (I wonder how I know?) The wife learned faith in the 80s mountain crossing ability.. Was at some very high alititudes going thru the pass from utah to wyoming (22) all of it sloppy! but amazing. 10% grades.

Fun stuff.... One day I am in a desert.. Next tanning on a beach.. next over the mountains.. Oh yeah we hit the SD badlands national park and wall drug.

I've noticed alot of the stations now show there fuel contains up to 10% ethanol.

Yep there was a big push for more ethanol in fuel.

Heck look at E85 (85%) and FFVs..

An FFV would get better MPG on 10% ethanol than a std gas vehicle. They have a fuel sensor in the fuel line that determines what the fuel is. Ethanol can lean burn more so than gas.. That is be run farther on the lean side of stoichmetric air fuel ratio for idle and part throttle.. The lean side at idle for 85% ethanol is still more fuel than gas at idle it is just that a full power AFR for ethanol dwarfs the lean burn AFR more.

I think with the right technology such as wideband o2s for constant closed loop operation and a fuel hydrocarbon sensor(capacitance based typically) ethanol blends can be a good thing.

In a vehicle that was merely designed to tolerate as opposed to optimize a blend.. Um not so much

How slow do you have to drive to get 18.9 mpg? My best was just a touch over 14 with my old 94 and that was on flat east Texas 2 lane highway doing about 65 mph. If I could get 18.9 I might not have considered my diesel swap!
Rusty

it was mostly between 50-60 with some 40 mph on the hills between lewiston to washtucna, after ritzville 65-70 mph for the remainding 100miles of the 330 mile trip on the freeway. I dont know what i did, but i was impressed. and i didnt miss calculate either, I tried it three times!

Sounds like a great trip. I recently drove from Seattle to Va Beach. Wa, Or, Id, Ut, Co, NM, Tx, Ok, Ar, Tn, NC, Va. Glad I had the cruiser as we went through plenty of the white stuff. Tried to keep off the interstates as much as possible. Got the book, Road Trip USA. Has some great two lane coast to coast and border to border trips. Good luck! Take lots of pics.

I don't think I ever drove a sustained 50-60 mph to achieve more than 14 mpg but I believe it is possible, kinda makes you wonder why they don't lower the speed limit back to 55 think how much fuel that would save nationwide if everyone got 20% better mileage at that speed (assuming they would actually do it)
Wish I had the time to do trip like that, where are the pictures?
Rusty

Was more of a famly thing so online stuff is in fam only galleries.. Later I will go thru my HDD and pull out a few.

IMG_0646.jpg
one i snapped, my bro driving, my wife enjoying the ride into the sunset. Me in my beautifully quiet 80 just a man and his car... AHHH
IMG_0646.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom