Road Trip, Driving my new 80 home, problem on day three, and kinda stuck. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, without tools other than a couple lug wrenches, and 12/14mm wrench in the tool kit, I'm at a disadvantage. Spent several hours yesterday and this morning checking and trying everything that I could, including sliding around underneath the vehicle on a small broken down cardboard box the hotel gave me.

The local Toyota dealership said that they could get me in Thursday. They referred me to another shop a couple blocks away, and they were busy also.

So, for $664 I rented a U-Haul with car trailer, and was able to hit the road at 1130.

KIMG0160.JPG

Around 2:45PM, I rolled into the Slee Off-road parking lot in Golden Colorado.

KIMG0161.JPG

Unloaded the rig, and gave Brian a ride to show him the issue. If anyone can figure it out, they can. They'll be doing a full service for me, including front and rear differentials, and addressing a few other issues I pointed out like a weeping hose for the power steering.

Hope to get her back in a few weeks, hopefully before a Moab trip that the local Cruiser guys have planned for mid-May.

I'm guessing this Coil-Pack engine also attributes to the improvement in fuel economy, as I don't need to downshift when going up hills at highway speeds, and getting on the interstate from the on-ramp is really easy. That engine has an unbelievable amount of power compared to the regular 1FZ.
Sorry to be this guy but it has 11hp more, I'd suggest the difference you're feeling is a result of the manual transmission.

Boy howdy I bet you were shocked at the changes in the area

Yes I was. Taking the Airport shuttle out, one of our stops was behind a Holiday Inn Express in Baltimore, and surprised to see armed security in tactical gear patrolling the hotel entrance. I guess things have gotten bad in numerous big cities. Glad I live fairly remote.

Seems to only occur when the engine is under load. Could it be something simple like a belt slipping?

Too bad we don’t have a video, would be curious to hear it.

Seems to only occur when the engine is under load. Could it be something simple like a belt slipping?

Too bad we don’t have a video, would be curious to hear it.

That's one thing I didn't check. Unfortunately I'm 3-1/2 hours away from Slee, and they're mostly gone this week to Moab.

You might try pulling the rear drive shaft's zerk to spline, you can spray some brake cleaner or WD40 into the zerk hole. These things can bung up/hydrolock and cause pressue on the pinion, the cleaning will now allow the spline to float as required. Don't forget to eventually reinstall the Zerk and only add a few pumps of grease.
Signs of locked splines are: Grease spitting out of the Zerk, hard to pump grease and or watching the splines becoming exposed and you truck lifting and you not being able to bounce the suspension...

Last edited:
You might try pulling the rear drive shaft's zerk to spline, you can spray some brake cleaner or WD40 into the zerk hole. These things can bung up/hydrolock and cause pressue on the pinion, the cleaning will now allow the spline to float as required. Don't forget to eventually reinstall the Zerk and only add a few pumps of grease.
Signs of locked splines are: Grease spitting out of the Zerk, hard to pump grease and or watching the splines becoming exposed and you truck lifting and you not being able to bounce the suspension...

Vehicle is out of my hands, and whatever is done to remedy the problem will be done by Slee.

Loose brake caliper bolt hitting the wheel? That might make that kind of noise. Only other thing I can think of is losing a front hub spline, but you should have felt a noticeable loss of power with that one. Can't think what else it might be?

Nice 80 and glad you made it home. You mentioned in an earlier post that the front driveshaft was loose. Curious what you mean by that. Are you referring to the flange bolts or just feels loose when you rotate it? If it's the bolts holding the flanges then I would tighten them and take her for a spin.

Loose brake caliper bolt hitting the wheel? That might make that kind of noise. Only other thing I can think of is losing a front hub spline, but you should have felt a noticeable loss of power with that one. Can't think what else it might be?

I was thinking it might be a spline, but with part time 4WD, you wouldn't have a loss of power.

Nice 80 and glad you made it home. You mentioned in an earlier post that the front driveshaft was loose. Curious what you mean by that. Are you referring to the flange bolts or just feels loose when you rotate it? If it's the bolts holding the flanges then I would tighten them and take her for a spin.

While parked, crawling around underneath there was a little slop in the front drive shaft from it being in 2-HI (it's a Part Time 4WD system on this truck). There was a load on the rear drive shaft since I was on a ever so slight slope, and it was in gear. So it would be normal for it to be tight.

While parked, crawling around underneath there was a little slop in the front drive shaft from it being in 2-HI (it's a Part Time 4WD system on this truck). There was a load on the rear drive shaft since I was on a ever so slight slope, and it was in gear. So it would be normal for it to be tight.
So when you say slop you’re talking about grabbing the shaft and rotating it. If so that’s common as long as the tolerances are within spec. Not sure what the actual spec is but this has to do with the backlash of your gears in the diff and T-case. I worry when I can grab the DS and move it up and down and side to side.

Got the new rig home yesterday. Those guys at Slee are soo great.

Rebuild of both front and rear differentials.

Cause of noise and vibration was a bad bushing, and the axle shaft and spline being worn out and gouged. Most likely all started with worn seals causing water infiltration, and it all cascaded from there.

Still have to source a rear drive shaft as the expansion joint coupler is worn out, and causes a slight vibration at certain speeds, or loads like coasting down a steep grade in 4th gear at 55mph.

KIMG0200.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom