Road Top 8.8"/8.9" CarPlay Screen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Per Road Top:

Hi, B09P8C5V26 and B084M1DCXZ are the same unit. Any other questions please let us know​

Did they run it directly to a fuse block? Any pics of how it is connected?
There's (only one of three in cabin) fuse box under the steering wheel - I'm planning on using spot #1 (15A cig lighter - where it's now temporarily plugged in)

First I gotta figure out/sort the mounting bracket....there's gotta be a better way

There's (only one of three in cabin) fuse box under the steering wheel - I'm planning on using spot #1 (15A cig lighter - where it's now temporarily plugged in)

First I gotta figure out/sort the mounting bracket....there's gotta be a better way
I’ve got a fuse block I installed on the DS behind the dash so power isn’t an issue…just not sure if you just cut the end of the cigarette lighter plug off from the Road Top plug and run the positive and negative? I assume that is how it would be done….I’ve never cut the end off of one of those plugs.

I’ve got a fuse block I installed on the DS behind the dash so power isn’t an issue…just not sure if you just cut the end of the cigarette lighter plug off from the Road Top plug and run the positive and negative? I assume that is how it would be done….I’ve never cut the end off of one of those plugs.
FIRST need to check if there is any voltage/amperage "manipulation" going on inside the charger plug - I don't think there is - but I have not had time to do anything further on the "permanent wiring" side of things (gotta sort the mounting first).

But, yes, if it's 12v, hot to hot and grnd to grnd. Just like lights. Just make sure your power source is switched - the 8.8 I have is NOT power sensing.

Interested to see what others come up for hard wire installation. So far in my experience with the unit I get some BT connectivity issues between the unit and phone and the unit and the car, all solved by the good old IT solution of turn it off and on again. The button on the lighter plug makes this easy.

If I hardwire I think I would still wire in an accessible power switch for ease of life to restart it.

Interested to see what others come up for hard wire installation. So far in my experience with the unit I get some BT connectivity issues between the unit and phone and the unit and the car, all solved by the good old IT solution of turn it off and on again. The button on the lighter plug makes this easy.

If I hardwire I think I would still wire in an accessible power switch for ease of life to restart it.
That is my plan when I buy this. I’m going to wire in a switch to turn it on and off.

I’m leaning the same way. Ours likes to connect to my wife’s phone 95% of time when we are both in car. While I can change over the Bluetooth from the menu it doesn’t break the CarPlay connection so our workaround has been turn off her Bluetooth and power cycle the unit.

Hey guys, I just got this unit, and used the Dual-BT to connect my iphone-RT and OG Car BT-RT and it is working so far.

I just have an issue with Steering wheel connection, I can use the volume up/down and mute functions but I can't Skip songs [Next/Previous].
Also, the played songs through Bluetooth sometimes stutter or pauses for like 0.1 seconds but it happens a bit frequently so it's kinda annoying.
I tried to contact them via Amazon and they had sent me a Bluetooth update guide [I can share the link if it's not against the rules of the forum] with files but they said I should use an Android phone to do the patching.

So far I tried using the included FeasyBlue app and update file but it does not seem to update the RoadTop BT, as it says [Update Unsuccessful].

Does anybody have had the same issue and managed to fix it?

Update: I managed to get the BT updated via an android phone, the sttutering is finally gone, but I still can't use the Skip-songs buttons on my steering wheel.
They told me it's possibly due to my car [2.4G BT] not being compatible with the 5.0 BT of the RoadTop and they compensated me with a $20 refund.
I agreed because there is literally nothing else I can do.

I would say primarily for me, it’s the wide low profile format Vs all the 4:3 ones out there…. Also the dual Bluetooth and excellent wireless carplay I’m loving mine…
Some cool installs. May I ask why y'all are going this route? Can't you get all of this functionality simply through pairing your phone via Bluetooth (at least for 2013+ which has call and audio profiles)? I'm pretty sure I'm missing something because this crowd appears to be pretty technically literate.

Is it mainly screen size (8.8" vs phones at 6.5-6.8")?

Some cool installs. May I ask why y'all are going this route? Can't you get all of this functionality simply through pairing your phone via Bluetooth (at least for 2013+ which has call and audio profiles)? I'm pretty sure I'm missing something because this crowd appears to be pretty technically literate.

Is it mainly screen size (8.8" vs phones at 6.5-6.8")?
CarPlay

...and CP (& AA) does what? Replicating access to the same apps on the phone, but on a bigger and permanent screen, right? And perhaps bigger text/icons? I'm on Android which does some "auto mode" adaptations, but I'm less familiar with Carplay (4/5 of my family has iPhone though). Yes, I can Google it but I'm interested in what the appeal was from some of the folks here who have spoken with their wallets to do it aftermarket.

...and CP (& AA) does what? Replicating access to the same apps on the phone, but on a bigger and permanent screen, right? And perhaps bigger text/icons? I'm on Android which does some "auto mode" adaptations, but I'm less familiar with Carplay (4/5 of my family has iPhone though). Yes, I can Google it but I'm interested in what the appeal was from some of the folks here who have spoken with their wallets to do it aftermarket.
CarPlay is just a better layout. Really easy to navigate, larger icons, safer, etc.

I don’t have one of these yet, but I miss CarPlay and these are the easiest entry for LCs.

Well I attempted to add this unit to my wife’s 200 series and she hates it! I followed all the instructions and had my iphone setup working perfectly. When I added her iphone to the unit it seemed to work fine but now audio is going through the Road Top unit and not her truck. Does anyone else have issues with multiple phones? I thought I followed the same steps but not sure why one phone is working and the other isn’t. Anyone else have multiple phones working? I’m not sure whether to delete all phones and start over or just focus on what isn’t working with her phone. Any ideas before she throws the unit out the window?

KB

What is the email you write to Road Top with, to get the latest software version?
Is my version the current one or is there a more recent?

I am on:
Software Version: 2022.08.23-1.0.10
CUST Version: QP203

I’ll sell mine to anyone who wants to try it. I had it hard wires so I snipped the plug off the end. I tapped the cigarette lighter and it worked great. $100 shipped. I couldn’t take it blocking my view

E28BAA9F-19CB-48AA-808C-C5FD91CDC0CE.jpeg

0160E94F-CFCD-4261-ADB9-2AB7E3DBDEDD.jpeg

Ok, I think I'm all set up. I do have to keep clicking 'Connect' on my 2011 LC head unit under Bluetooth to get the audio connected, but Carplay works well and my calls seem to work ok as well. My dad said I sounded like I was in a tin can, but he could hear me. There has to be a microphone mod that can be done on these...I've seen those done on other android head units.

So weird byproduct....before when I would use my OEM hands free for calls on my end it was almost like it was cutting out or static-y but I could still hear. Now it doesn't do that...weird, but cool.

Last edited:
I’m trying with my phone connected to the Land Cruiser as well as the RT. RT aligned to media and my phone aligned to the phone profile. This works pretty well, you just need to untoggle the “handset” button on the Land Cruiser screen if the call was answered/initiated through RT. OEM buttons worked for answering the call or initiating and in those cases there is no need to toggle the handset button [WRONG] you still need to press the "handset" button… this might be the best route to avoid using the mic on the RT
PS having the phone paired with the LC did not limit RT from connecting and initiating CarPlay
Did you ever figure out how to only use the LC mic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom