Road Top 8.8"/8.9" CarPlay Screen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I actually got the firmware that the claimed that they fixed the echoing issue for the road top. I haven't tried it yet, but will report my findings if it does work. If it does, I'll PM those who are interested.
Unfortunately I have yet heard a response from them regarding to the Audio Left and Right Channels being switched around. They told me that the engineers are still trying to figure out a fix for it. Hopefully they will have a fix for this. (not a biggy but for audiophile people, it seems so.)

I recently swapped it from the 200 to an older Jeep Cherokee. Everything works fine but phone calls now. Can accept the phone call through the Road Top interface and the person on the other side can hear me fine, but phone audio from the other side will not come through. Using a USB cable from the phone to the Road Top and aux cable to the Jeep.

What am I missing here?

I actually got the firmware that the claimed that they fixed the echoing issue for the road top. I haven't tried it yet, but will report my findings if it does work. If it does, I'll PM those who are interested.
Unfortunately I have yet heard a response from them regarding to the Audio Left and Right Channels being switched around. They told me that the engineers are still trying to figure out a fix for it. Hopefully they will have a fix for this. (not a biggy but for audiophile people, it seems so.)
Bit confused here, so version 1 is updated directly from the menu and version 2 is updated via the button?
can version 1 be updated people hear their own voice in calls. don't think I have the button to press.

Bit confused here, so version 1 is updated directly from the menu and version 2 is updated via the button?
can version 1 be updated people hear their own voice in calls. don't think I have the button to press.
I don't know anything about version 1 devices on updating. Version 2 devices has a button in the aux jack for updating, but I hear some people having trouble using that method to update their firmware. Version 2 also can update firmware directly from menu provided if you place the "Gemini" File into the USB plug (manual updating, does not do OTA).
Version 1 is not suggested to use firmwares that are meant for version 2 according to the company. Whole menu system of version 2 is different than version 1. Internal parts are slightly different from both. I rather not risk of bricking the device. If you have version 1 but have problems, i'd suggest emailing road top to see if they have any version 1 firmware update fixes for you.
As for hearing your own voice, try going into the menu, and head over to settings. Don't know if there is an advanced menu, but if they ask for password, it could/should be 1234. Look for something that says "AEC" (Acoustic Echo Cancellation). Click that and run throught test. Once test is done try making a call again to see if that solves your issue. I've had the same issue on version 2 if I were to use Road Top's mic and I am currently in the works trying out road Top's firmware fix for the version 2.
However if you read the post before mine, there is a work around method that can get the original car mic to be used on the Lexus instead of road Top's mic. You just need to do a little bit of fiddling.

I don't know anything about version 1 devices on updating. Version 2 devices has a button in the aux jack for updating, but I hear some people having trouble using that method to update their firmware. Version 2 also can update firmware directly from menu provided if you place the "Gemini" File into the USB plug (manual updating, does not do OTA).
Version 1 is not suggested to use firmwares that are meant for version 2 according to the company. Whole menu system of version 2 is different than version 1. Internal parts are slightly different from both. I rather not risk of bricking the device. If you have version 1 but have problems, i'd suggest emailing road top to see if they have any version 1 firmware update fixes for you.
As for hearing your own voice, try going into the menu, and head over to settings. Don't know if there is an advanced menu, but if they ask for password, it could/should be 1234. Look for something that says "AEC" (Acoustic Echo Cancellation). Click that and run throught test. Once test is done try making a call again to see if that solves your issue. I've had the same issue on version 2 if I were to use Road Top's mic and I am currently in the works trying out road Top's firmware fix for the version 2.
However if you read the post before mine, there is a work around method that can get the original car mic to be used on the Lexus instead of road Top's mic. You just need to do a little bit of fiddling.
I have seen the AEC setting I'll give it ago I mean I can use the FM transmitter but it kind of defeats the reason to buy this device, aux isn't an option as it only has USB c inputs and using that didn't work.
Thanks for the suggestions.

A Quick Update. I have finally received a response regarding to the left and right audio channels being switched. Unfortunately the software team over at Road Top were not able to fix on their side.
On the positive side, I did get to try the firmware they gave me that added the AEC (Acoustic Echo Cancellation) functionality and ran the test. Made a few calls and am glad to report to you that the other party hear no echo of themselves.

I ordered yesterday this unit from Amazon so I'm hopping I'm getting the 2nd generation as in the Amazon listing they are showing the 2nd generation UI. I also got from Sarah (Road Top Direct) the user manual over email and it's the user manual for 2nd Generation. I will post here if it's in fact the second generation unit.
Can you share your contact method to Roadtop please?

I just emailed them directly and asked for the firmware you got. Also asked if it is possible to fix the issue with the Night Mode Brightness not keeping the setting after a reboot, meaning every time you turn the car ON, the unit goes back to Day Mode Brightness. Also asked if it is possible to add a function that allows the user to select the time of the day you want Night Mode Brightness to start and finish, like the Carpuride units do. Lets see if the respond prontly and positively. I have been tester for many companies like Topping, Matrix Audio, SMSL, RME and others and all of them are very receptive to suggestions and products improvements.
What email address did you use?

What email address did you use?
That’s a great idea. On my part, I want the day/night mode brightness selection to be stored so it doesn’t go back to day mode after rebooting. It doesn’t hurt to ask if a time window can be implemented for the day/night brightness mode, though. You can try emailing directly to Yanni @ sales@roadtop.com and CC roadtopdirect@outlook.com

Those are the two emails I sent my request.
Post #114

I've been sent an upgrade file from Alibaba for version 1, that's even though I bought it 8 months ago, will try it out post back tomorrow.

I've been sent an upgrade file from Alibaba for version 1, that's even though I bought it 8 months ago, will try it out post back tomorrow.
If you bought your road Top 8 months ago, that means you have version 1. Road Top 2nd Gen only came out at the end of July of this year , so a good 2 - 3 months ago. Appearance look the same, internals slightly different.

If you bought your road Top 8 months ago, that means you have version 1. Road Top 2nd Gen only came out at the end of July of this year , so a good 2 - 3 months ago. Appearance look the same, internals slightly different.
Yeah I said version 1, I had the echo issue which wouldn't fix running the echo cancellation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom