Road to Sureshot lake in Tobacco Roots

Discussion in 'MT- 406 Cruisers' started by ttFJC, Mar 23, 2018.

1. ttFJC

ttFJC

Any one know what this area looks like lately? how much snow is out there?

Me and the dog are trying to camp out somewhere tonight.

2. secretasiansam

secretasiansam

Albums:
    I went out last year early spring, probably later than now. I got stuck before the lakes. It's been a heavy snow year, I doubt you'd get far, but you have a winch now, so might as well check it out and let us know.

3. ttFJC

ttFJC

I’ll at least make it to forest service right? Haha

4. secretasiansam

secretasiansam

Albums:
    You should at least be able to make the junction that turns you up towards sureshot.

5. ttFJC

ttFJC

So i made it like a quarter of a mile into the forest service. No doubt i would have made it farther but it was kinda sketchy to go alone. Heavy wet snow on top of ice. Almost hit one of the signs it was so slick and I was sliding all over the place. Didn't stay the night and judging from the amount of snow on my car this morning that was probably a good idea.

Took a nice picture on my way out. (the snow was not bad in this spot)
    [​IMG]Untitled

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    rc51kid, MTKID and elkun1 like this.
  6. Black798

Black798

I went out there on Saturday and after working at it for about an hour and winching once I was able to make it to the cattle guard before the lake. Aaron the snow up further still has the same crust on it that we were fighting when we were up there in December it's just moved further down the hill. I was able to stay on top of it in the areas that get sun but in the trees, it's just sugar. It may have been better if it was 20 degrees warmer.
    [​IMG]IMG_7882 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_7881 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_7877 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr

I also went and checked out a side trail that runs back out to the flats but didn't make it far. This hill was too steep to get up the drift...
    [​IMG]IMG_7886 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_7894 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_7895 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr

87BJ74, JohnnyOshow22 and ttFJC like this.
  7. ttFJC

ttFJC

you HAD to go and show me up.

wheres the sweeeeet picture of you burying your spare from IG! i saw that and i was like man that looks like alot of work..:rofl:

8. Black798

Black798

Haha I always end up with the mindset of, "I already drove an hour to get here, it would be a shame to turn around already, maybe just a little further." I actually didn't bury the spare, I was being lazy and didn't want to dig and there luckily was a rock not too far away that I was able to winch off. That was a first for me.

I also poked my head up the road to twin lakes, 965 I believe, and it was packed down really well from all the snowmobile traffic. I only went up to the sign that said its closed until may 1st for wheeled vehicles. I'm thinking of heading out on May 5th to make a run for twin lakes.

Overall shot of where I sunk through, this wouldnt have happened if I hadnt of turned the locker off 20 feet earlier
    [​IMG]IMG_7903 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr

One of them trendy pics for the gram
    [​IMG]IMG_7906 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr

ttFJC likes this.
  9. ttFJC

ttFJC

May 5th may be the weekend for the St Anthony sand dunes. i know they open April 31st. otherwise i'm down. id like to camp out. or maybe go the next weekend

JohnnyOshow22 likes this.
  10. Black798

Black798

If the St Anthony run is that weekend Ill push twin lakes until the next weekend but I hadn't heard definitively on that yet I just planned on may 5th so I figured Id go for twin lakes as soon as I finished up my finals that week.

ttFJC likes this.
  11. JohnnyOshow22

JohnnyOshow22 KK0TEQ

I'm down for the 5th. Finals always suck and wheeling/camping the weekend after is always great

ttFJC likes this.
  12. Black798

Black798

Looks like it will have to be the weekend of the 12th since the dunes trip is on the 5th. Hopefully, we get to it before some of the big tire rigs from Mikes get out there and ruin the pack...

ttFJC likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.