Road to Sureshot lake in Tobacco Roots (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
backcountryadventuretime.com
Any one know what this area looks like lately? how much snow is out there?

Me and the dog are trying to camp out somewhere tonight.

I went out last year early spring, probably later than now. I got stuck before the lakes. It's been a heavy snow year, I doubt you'd get far, but you have a winch now, so might as well check it out and let us know.

I went out last year early spring, probably later than now. I got stuck before the lakes. It's been a heavy snow year, I doubt you'd get far, but you have a winch now, so might as well check it out and let us know.

I’ll at least make it to forest service right? Haha

So i made it like a quarter of a mile into the forest service. No doubt i would have made it farther but it was kinda sketchy to go alone. Heavy wet snow on top of ice. Almost hit one of the signs it was so slick and I was sliding all over the place. Didn't stay the night and judging from the amount of snow on my car this morning that was probably a good idea.

Took a nice picture on my way out. (the snow was not bad in this spot)
Untitled

Last edited:
I went out there on Saturday and after working at it for about an hour and winching once I was able to make it to the cattle guard before the lake. Aaron the snow up further still has the same crust on it that we were fighting when we were up there in December it's just moved further down the hill. I was able to stay on top of it in the areas that get sun but in the trees, it's just sugar. It may have been better if it was 20 degrees warmer.
IMG_7882 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_7881 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_7877 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr

I also went and checked out a side trail that runs back out to the flats but didn't make it far. This hill was too steep to get up the drift...
IMG_7886 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_7894 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_7895 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr

you HAD to go and show me up.

wheres the sweeeeet picture of you burying your spare from IG! i saw that and i was like man that looks like alot of work..:rofl:

Haha I always end up with the mindset of, "I already drove an hour to get here, it would be a shame to turn around already, maybe just a little further." I actually didn't bury the spare, I was being lazy and didn't want to dig and there luckily was a rock not too far away that I was able to winch off. That was a first for me.

I also poked my head up the road to twin lakes, 965 I believe, and it was packed down really well from all the snowmobile traffic. I only went up to the sign that said its closed until may 1st for wheeled vehicles. I'm thinking of heading out on May 5th to make a run for twin lakes.

Overall shot of where I sunk through, this wouldnt have happened if I hadnt of turned the locker off 20 feet earlier
IMG_7903 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr

One of them trendy pics for the gram
IMG_7906 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr

I also poked my head up the road to twin lakes, 965 I believe, and it was packed down really well from all the snowmobile traffic. I only went up to the sign that said its closed until may 1st for wheeled vehicles. I'm thinking of heading out on May 5th to make a run for twin lakes.

May 5th may be the weekend for the St Anthony sand dunes. i know they open April 31st. otherwise i'm down. id like to camp out. or maybe go the next weekend

If the St Anthony run is that weekend Ill push twin lakes until the next weekend but I hadn't heard definitively on that yet I just planned on may 5th so I figured Id go for twin lakes as soon as I finished up my finals that week.

May 5th may be the weekend for the St Anthony sand dunes. i know they open April 31st. otherwise i'm down. id like to camp out. or maybe go the next weekend
I'm down for the 5th. Finals always suck and wheeling/camping the weekend after is always great

Looks like it will have to be the weekend of the 12th since the dunes trip is on the 5th. Hopefully, we get to it before some of the big tire rigs from Mikes get out there and ruin the pack...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom