Road Cruiser 80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where did you get those small amber LEDs? And what paint did you use for front grill and trim?
They are small LED lights used on boats. See here: TecNiq | D04
I used a Dremel and very carefully cut out 3 oval holes, then hit the entire grill with some Plastidip. The lights are epoxied in from the back.

What ODBII tool did you hack? That's pretty slick.
Search Amazon for "Autool X50 PLUS Multi-Function Car OBD" $35.00 and the LCD fits perfectly once you take it apart. There's a thread somewhere on here about making a 3D Printed holder for it, but mine melted in the Florida heat after a couple of days so I made one out of aluminum to hold it in place.

They are small LED lights used on boats. See here: TecNiq | D04
I used a Dremel and very carefully cut out 3 oval holes, then hit the entire grill with some Plastidip. The lights are epoxied in from the back.

Search Amazon for "Autool X50 PLUS Multi-Function Car OBD" $35.00 and the LCD fits perfectly once you take it apart. There's a thread somewhere on here about making a 3D Printed holder for it, but mine melted in the Florida heat after a couple of days so I made one out of aluminum to hold it in place.
Thank you sir!

@seeylater Do you happen to have the wiring information for how you connected it up to the up-down switch. If you do I would like to get that over on the 3D printing thread and get you credit for it as I think others need that info as well.

Last edited:
@seeylater Do you happen to have the wiring information for how you connected it up to the up-down switch. If you do I would like to get that over on the 30 printing thread and get you credit for it as I think others need that info as well.

I didn't write down the wire colors coming out of the antenna switch, but just put a meter to it and you'll find the two wires that close contact when UP or DOWN is pressed. Then just use those and solder them into the board of the X50 display where the little menu wheel is. It only took me 5-10 mins to figure it out.

Hope that helped. I guess I should have marked down the colors.

Nice truck.

Summer Update:

Somehow I managed to convince the wife to take the 23-year-old, 174K mile car on our 1500 mile road trip with the kids instead of one of our newer cars. I knew I was a dead man if this thing broke down and ruined our 8 day trip across Florida. Luckily, besides having to top off a little freon from the auto parts store, and the O2 sensor falling out and hanging underneath the car, the LC80 did really well.

View attachment 2402705
(Beach at Amelia Island)

I got a bunch of stuff done prior to our trip, but the most important was to get the leather done as there is no way the wife and kids we're going to ride in the torn up leather interior. I had received the front seat covers from Lseat.com weeks ago, but my local upholstery shop had been swamped with work. They eventually got me in and did an amazing job. They also re-upholstered the steering wheel with some Lexus leather that matched the closest. They said the quality of the Lseat covers was ok, just a little dehydrated, and to keep applying lots of leather conditioner to them to soften them up.

View attachment 2402709
View attachment 2402710
View attachment 2402712

View attachment 2402707

You beat me. Just ran across this thread and was going to recommend Leather from FJ60cam. Came out nice though. Welcome.

I didn't write down the wire colors coming out of the antenna switch, but just put a meter to it and you'll find the two wires that close contact when UP or DOWN is pressed. Then just use those and solder them into the board of the X50 display where the little menu wheel is. It only took me 5-10 mins to figure it out.

Hope that helped. I guess I should have marked down the colors.
Nice build, any updates? Looks like a lot of money has gone into this rig eh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom