RLC rear tire carrier / swing out / jerry can / custom fab bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I've been asked by a few to get some information on here about the bumper I had made for my rig.
James (owner of) RLC welding and Fabrication here in Louisville KY made it for me.
This package includes 22 grade 8 bolts, four brackets, one bumper, one swing out, one jerry can holder,
one lic plate holder, and latches:

* The bumper its self is made of (3/16") - ?
* The brackets are made of 1/4"
* The bumper has one swing out w/ rubber bumper to keep it from marring your tail gate when its down, should it swing back into your tail gate
* One removable Jerry can holder
* Lic plate holder / relo
* On the back of the tire hold is an elevated base plate for CB ant / or another rear light system
* Grease fitting on the swing out axel / spindle
* Cut out for the rigid cubes
* One toggle latch along with a secondary back up screw in hand bolt to hold the swing arm in should the toggle jar loose.
* End caps for the wheel well as to keep the inside of your bumper wings debris free
* Clevis's for recovery
* Utilization of the factory tow hitch
* The bumper itself weighs under 100 lbs / 120 lbs with the swing out on and about 200+lbs with a Nitto trail grappler 35x12.5x17 mounted.

I asked James to keep this as high and tight as possible without cutting on the frame.

The powder coating was done by another company here in town. If you ordered this set up from James then you would receive the raw bumper to do with as you please. You'll be the one cutting your stock plastics.

The install was a breeze.

James had my rig for 6 days from 8:30 am -4:30 pm and he has this in CAD now, has a jig made so this is repeatable and you can customize for your needs as they may be different from mine.

If I left out something you'd like to know please ask and if I don't know the answer I'll get you one.
Thanks

Enjoy the picture show!

Last edited:
IMG_7475.JPG
20150622_143845.jpg
20150623_124529 - rear bumper.jpg
IMG_7488 - bumper so far.JPG
20150624_125241 - rear bumper.jpeg
the beginning of the process

20150709_140432 - jerry can.jpg
IMG_7518 - rear bumper.JPG
IMG_7517 - rear bumper.JPG
IMG_7519 - rear bumper.JPG

not much blocking my line of sight out of the rear window
IMG_7520 - rear bumper.JPG
IMG_7747.JPG
IMG_7774.JPG
IMG_7777.JPG

IMG_7807.JPG
IMG_7808.JPG
IMG_7804.JPG

IMG_7807.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_7813.JPG
IMG_7814.JPG
little details
first is the bumper to protect the swing out from denting your tail gate should it swing back in.

IMG_7813.JPG

IMG_7813.JPG

IMG_7815.JPG
IMG_7816.JPG
Next is the plate that fills in between the bumper and your tail gate.

IMG_7806.JPG
IMG_7805.JPG
IMG_7817.JPG
IMG_7824.JPG
IMG_7825.JPG
this is the latch

IMG_7818.JPG
IMG_7819.JPG
IMG_7829.JPG
IMG_7830.JPG
Jerry can holder and back side of the tire carrier

Last edited:
IMG_7831.JPG
IMG_7832.JPG
Last is the wheel well wing guards to minimize debris getting in there

Wow - great work and great photos. A lot of thought went in to this and the quality looks fantastic! Man, I wish I had the kind of talent to fabricate something like this!

Awesome! Did you choose the swing out to only go ~7/8ths of the way across to allow for a step? I guess someone could have it go virtually the whole way across to allow a second vert mounting location and put the screw stop near the corner?

Really nice work.

Wow, im speechless.... I likey, and I want one... If you don't mind how much did the set up cost? thanks!

Awesome! Did you choose the swing out to only go ~7/8ths of the way across to allow for a step? I guess someone could have it go virtually the whole way across to allow a second vert mounting location and put the screw stop near the corner?

Really nice work.
yes - I wanted a step area so that was a main reason for that design. Someone could go the full bar and then spread the other hardware along the real estate as you stated.
thanks

Looks Great @Willy beamin. Thanks for sharing pics. Now you are giving me some ideas to start master planning my own bumper. I have never done bumper before. There is always first time for somethings.

I'm betting it will turn out great. you go!
thank you

20130216_115328.jpg

Here is an example of it on my tundra's bumper.

Your blood is worth bottling. Thanks for taking the time to make this bumper build thread so comprehensive.
Awesome Willy B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom