rivnut/nutsert tool-can I borrow yours? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Junk, tried to send you an email and it got bounced back.
Mike R

This might be something else you could try. Block of wood, counterbored so the serrations can go all the way to the top, and a concrete/masonary nail. The serrations project away from the nutsert which would help hold it in place for a bolt/washer tighten or put a little JB Weld on it and try it 24 hrs. later. The grooves would help the JB Weld.
Bill

Here is a picture of the small hand tool showing about how much room you would need to fit it in there.
Bill

I KNEW he had one of those, he HAD to have one of those. FER Pete's sake, he's got every damn thing else any of us ever needed to fix anything :flipoff2: . I makes me EMERALD GREEN(6M1 :flipoff2: ) with envy every dang time.

I wish I had a tiny corner of that garage :-*

D-

C-Dan,
You still don't know if he has that tool or if he just has a *picture* of the tool.

I'm bettin' he has the tool. ::)

-B-

Bill, thanks for the pics and ideas. I had already evolved to drastic measures by Saturday morning. Got a nice thin SAE-type washer with ID same as rivnut, scored surface of washer and rivnut with file, soldered them together, liberally coated shoulder of rivnut and surface of washer with JB weld, smacked that all in the hole, let it sit until Sunday morning, then used the two spanners and short bolt method and it worked like a charm. I'm hoping the excess gob of JB weld just gives me a little bit more insurance. I measured the workable gap on the PS side between the body channel and frame cross member and it was just barely 1". Tricky to get a bolt that would fit in there and still get enough threads on the rivnut to start pulling it down. All in all glad to be done with it and get on to the fun part of plumbing in the tank. Thanks again to everyone for the assistance and hopefully somone else got some "technical" info on future rivnut installs :cheers:

I've been sitting on a bag of these nutserts as I need to install just 2 of them.

I was going to head over to a bodyshop and see if I could get them to just pop them in for me (in exchange for a small bill).

Is the tool required specific to Toyota or more standard across different manufacturers?

I'm just wondering what my chances are of a bodyshop helping me out or does it need to be a Toyota shop?

The rainy season is coming and I need to finish this job (that started about 4 months ago). :rolleyes:

All you need is a tool with the appropriate metric mandrel, it does not need to be Toyota-specific....

My, this was dragged out from the back of the closet...

I guess to include pertinent content, my nutserts that were installed using a home-brewed bolt/washers/nut/spanner have held up entirely without issue. this is with plenty of high speed washboard, jarring, bumping and a leisurely drive from SoCal to WVA and back with a side trip through Moab. Nutserts are great for what they were designed to do.
Mike

My, this was dragged out from the back of the closet...

I guess to include pertinent content, my nutserts that were installed using a home-brewed bolt/washers/nut/spanner have held up entirely without issue. this is with plenty of high speed washboard, jarring, bumping and a leisurely drive from SoCal to WVA and back with a side trip through Moab. Nutserts are great for what they were designed to do.
Mike

Still true Mike?:flipoff2:

Tack weld the edges and compress with an apropriate bolt through some flat stock. WOW too much wine for me tonight. Guess you gotta be here.

...man, where is the "Thread Killer" when I need it...

my new favorite tools are a plasma cutter and welder...must control
the metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom