River thread

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star

Boats loaded on a 4Runner for transport down an overgrown access road to the Locust Fork. 4Runner was the best for this due to size and needing to pass through the privet jungle. On Google Maps the road looked much better :lol:. We encounter situations like this all the time because we're attempting to float as much of the Locust Fork this summer as possible and easy access points are often lacking. No pics of the take out where we encountered a few meth heads, something else you can't quite plan for.

IMG_4883.jpg
IMG_4884.jpg
IMG_4880.jpg
IMG_4890.jpg
IMG_4876.jpg

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star

Did a 12 mile trip on the Yellow River on Thursday. Headwaters of the Yellow are in lower Alabama and it flows south into the Florida Panhandle, eventually dumping into Escambia Bay. Section we floated was the lower portion in Alabama. We took out just a mile or so above the FL line. Water was up some from recent rains and was flowing well. The river is narrow, maybe 30-40 m wide, with overhanging trees along the banks. With the elevated water level and swift flow we had to watch for strainers and sweepers, trees and branches in the water that can snag a boat or paddler. At one point Gavin's kayak was captured by a strainer and he was stuck under the branches of an overhanging tree. With my help he was able to free himself. A minor difficulty that added to the overall experience.

Unlike some of the other waters I've been on lately in north Alabama the put-in and take-out were real easy.

IMG_4915.jpg
IMG_4911.jpg
IMG_4919.jpg

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star

Locust Fork of the Upper Black Warrior River system in north Alabama. The red "yes" sections are what I've canoed this summer, a total of about 70 miles. I have at least that much more to cover if I am to completely survey this river this summer and early fall.

LF_progress.jpg

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star

Back down to south Alabama to survey sections of the Sepulga River. This is a gem of a river that few people other than locals ever see, and from the small amount of trash I've seen it gets little recreational use. River has long pools over sandy substrates and rocky limestone shoals. It is known as a good stream for fossils such as shark teeth. I'm on the river to collect data on the Escambia map turtle.

IMG_4952.jpg
IMG_4950.jpg
IMG_4944.jpg

Top Bottom