Risk of computer damage when arc welding (MIG) ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to do a little welding on my downpipe (y junction). Also some of the work on a custom bumper for the Zambian cruiser might have to be done in situ. Both will be MIG.

Is there any chance of damaging (any) of the computers ? Easy enough to unplug the main ECU, but I'm not sure I even know where all the other computers are (ABS, airbag ?, transmittion, etc)

Tks in advance - JB

Muffler shops weld on the cars all the time. Just do as suggested and remove the ground from the battery. Its always a good idea to put your welding grounding clamp right near the spot where you are welding along with hitting the same spot with a wire brush for a good ground connection. Seeing how you already know how to weld, you probably already knew that.

cheers guys, reassured me !

Wasn't sure if the "muffler shops" generally use OxyAcetylene, but then I guess your talking about the fabing, not the cut and bodge guys we have over here....(both Uk and Zambia)

In theory putting the grounding clamp as close to the welding spot should be enough because electricity follows the closest route. So it will go from the electrode to the clamp and not all over the vehicle. But to make sure just disconnect the battery and this should be really a good protection. BTW I do not disconnect the battery when welding and so far no problems.

I fried a computer on a CAT motor in a dump truck by not removing the battery leads I would suggest that remembering to disconnect the battery would be good.

It only takes a minute to pull a battery terminal.... But I have dual batteries, and then I'd have to reset the clock, radio presets, if you have EFI your computer needs to relearn. Sounds like too much hassle to me. :hmm:

I've MIG welded dozens of times on different vehicles without disconnecting anything and have never had any ill effects. I'm talking about lots of serious welding too, like a half-frame replacement with the EFI computer still connected...

Take your chances or not, it's up to you.

I thought MIG was ok to weld with battery still attached and only stick welding you should take the cable off. I'm pretty sure the stick welding on my old Bronco fried the computer cause it started acting funny a little while after the welding and the computer had to be changed out. The stick welding did not get it the first few times but about the fourth or fifth.

The muffler shop that I went to today put some sort of module on the battery to prevent any computer damage. Not sure what the module was called but it connected to the + and - of the battery.

Yep, just disconnect the neg of the battery and you're good to go.

I thought MIG was ok to weld with battery still attached and only stick welding you should take the cable off. I'm pretty sure the stick welding on my old Bronco fried the computer cause it started acting funny a little while after the welding and the computer had to be changed out. The stick welding did not get it the first few times but about the fourth or fifth.

High Freq. Tig will destroy all sorts of stuff too, but it's highly unlikely anyone here would run into that kind of welder. Factories that use it have separate power feeds (transformers and all) that run just those machines.

Yep, just disconnect the neg of the battery and you're good to go.

High Freq. Tig will destroy all sorts of stuff too, but it's highly unlikely anyone here would run into that kind of welder. Factories that use it have separate power feeds (transformers and all) that run just those machines.

I realize that disonnecting my battery would be the safe thing to do and probably the right thing to do even when MIG welding but is it necessary or does it just depend? I know its just a battery cable but I must have dial up or something cause it takes a few start ups before the ECU resets. It never resets when I think it should have had time:mad:.

The muffler shop that I went to today put some sort of module on the battery to prevent any computer damage. Not sure what the module was called but it connected to the + and - of the battery.

In Australia you can buy the Matson High performance Surge protector for approx $50 AUD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom