Rip off Flank's tire carrier: Complete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eicca

Professional Noob
Threads
Rip off Flank's tire carrier: Complete (pics included)

Not too bad for my first welding project. The tubing is 3/16" thick, 2" outside diameter, everything else is 1/4" plate. Everything is MIG welded and plasma cut (except the one plate that goes between the wheel and the padlock, some idiot ran the plasma cutter without the air feed filter and it got water in it, so I had to use the oxyacetylene caveman torch). Spindle from IPOR, decided to screw the latch and used a hitch pin design. Now I just have to paint the thing, maybe add a second hitch pin and a few support welds on the vertical piece. Total cost, $150. Borrowed ideas liberally from this design, credit to Flank. :cheers:

Measurements for my project can be found here.

Photo0278.jpg

Photo0281.jpg

Photo0279.jpg

Last edited:
Looks very nice!

Might want to gusset the vertical post to the swing arm though

I think that's what I'll do. And I'm definitely going with another hitch pin.

hard to tell if you have this from the pics, but you might want to add a block for the end of the swing arm to sit on. It would keep the whole swing arm from bouncing and putting stress on the pin. UHMW cutting board?

hard to tell if you have this from the pics, but you might want to add a block for the end of the swing arm to sit on. It would keep the whole swing arm from bouncing and putting stress on the pin. UHMW cutting board?

Yeah I need to do that too. So maybe I jumped the gun. It's almost finished :D

:cool:

Ditto on adding a gusset to the upright. Also, what i'm in the process of doing for my 4x4labs swing out is tapping a hole for a 1/2-13 bolt in the bottom of the swing arm. This way the swing arm will rest on the bolt and you can adjust it. I purchased UHMW for the bolt head to ride on.

Also, what welder are you using? Make sure you are getting penetration on the 1/4" plate. I'm using a lincoln 110v with fluxcore wire. I beveled all my edges. However, i'm gonna take the swing arms to a welding shop since the welder i'm using is too small to get penetration on the spindle housings.

Added the gussets and got a proper hitch pin. Also added the stop the upper arm rests on when closed (not visible in this pic). Took a flapper wheel to all the rough edges, cleaned it all up, now all that's left is paint.

gussets.jpg

Also, what welder are you using? Make sure you are getting penetration on the 1/4" plate.

Our school just picked up a few Miller 907321's so I thought I'd give them a try. Max 200 amps, 60% duty cycle, real nice welds (aside from the fact I kind of suck). BUT, slow and steady was the pace, used slightly higher settings than necessary just to ensure everything was penetrated good and deep.

Nice work. Now, hurry up and post up a parts list and source for that stuff... oh, and some measurements on the parts, so's we can rip off your rip off! I need one of these, and as you said, it'd make a nice first project to work on.

Nice work. Now, hurry up and post up a parts list and source for that stuff... oh, and some measurements on the parts, so's we can rip off your rip off! I need one of these, and as you said, it'd make a nice first project to work on.

X2!!:popcorn:

:bounce2::bounce::bounce2::bounce:

....crickets.

I'm getting to it...!

I just got done painting the thing. Rattle can black, primed nicely. Considering how well my primer-less rims have held up for the last two years, this should stay looking nice for a while.

Paint pic.

painted.jpg

Oh, me likey, me likey!! I'm waiting with baited breath!

Added the gussets and got a proper hitch pin. Also added the stop the upper arm rests on when closed (not visible in this pic). Took a flapper wheel to all the rough edges, cleaned it all up, now all that's left is paint.

gussets.jpg

nice lookin' bumper.

you might want to rethink the hitch pin w/cotter for latching the tire swing. as much as I've open and closed my tire swing in the past, personally, I'd get tired of that solution rather quickly...just sayin'

way cool though
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom