Rip it out! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I really want to replace the carpet in my 87 60.

It's funky and stained. I've seen worse, but otherwise it's such a nice truck it just looks wrong. Like everything else I have trouble keeping it simple.

If i rip out the carpet, i want to also put down some sound deadener - like dynamat. $$ - i know. What have you used that's comparable? I want sound deadening and am not sure sq ft wise how much will be needed. herculiner or line-x might work in the back, but not up front. I want quiet...er (no, i won't get an 80...).

what's involved in the rip out? anything to look out for?

AND while im at it - what carpet kits have you guys used and like? JTs supposedly suck, everyone else is also $$! I found one place in Oz, but they never emailed me back a price.

thanks!!!

rob

I hurculined the whole thing. ripping out the carpet is no problemo. it's taking out the seats that takes the longest time. If you do the hurculiner. leave the tar stuff on the floor and just roll over it. I broke my neck trying to get that stuff out and found out I could just roll right over it!

I think that I read somewhere that you can lay big chunks of dry ice on the tar and when it freezes solid you can chip it out fairly easily. I am sure that you can get better info from the folks that have done this though. There was a thread a while back about a guy pulling out the carpet, cleaning the hell out of it, scotch guarding it and putting it back in and he said it looked brand new. I would imagine that with elbow grease you could make it a lot nicer for less than new carpet.

Drum

huntsonora said:
I think that I read somewhere that you can lay big chunks of dry ice on the tar and when it freezes solid you can chip it out fairly easily.
Drum
Yeah, that was discussed earlier and supposedly works well. I ripped my carpet out years ago 'cause my windshield gasket was leaking, I'd been in CO for 2 years(snow=water=stink), and just generally years of stink. Never replaced it. Whenever I'm in the mood, I chisel away and tear out the tar-stuff. Not hard at all. IMO, I wouldn't leave it down if you're gonna Line-x or Rhino it. Just something that could go wrong later and also may create a crevice for water or humidity to accumulate and rust. Rather have the liner directly on the metal. This has nothing to do with sound deadener mind you. Just the bedliner. I personally like the "growl" of my 3FE. :flipoff2:

huntsonora said:
I think that I read somewhere that you can lay big chunks of dry ice on the tar and when it freezes solid you can chip it out fairly easily. Drum

Eastwood has a spray that's supposed to soften that stuff enough to scrape it off: Link I saw it in their catalog, but haven't personally tried it though.

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone replaced the carpet with a rubber or vinyl type mat that covers entire floor, front to back?

sl33py said:
I really want to replace the carpet in my 87 60.

If i rip out the carpet, i want to also put down some sound deadener - like dynamat. $$ - i know. What have you used that's comparable? I want sound deadening and am not sure sq ft wise how much will be needed. herculiner or line-x might work in the back, but not up front. I want quiet...er (no, i won't get an 80...).

what's involved in the rip out? anything to look out for?

AND while im at it - what carpet kits have you guys used and like?

To remove the carpet and add sound deadening products, first pull your seats, center console, seat belts, etc..., anything that's bolted to the floor pan. Pull the plastic trim guards that cover the pinch welds at all four doors and you should have free access to remove the carpet -- in essence, gut it.

Leave the OEM tar in place since you plan on covering it with sound products and new carpet. Take a look at Cascade Audio products: http://www.cascadeaudio.com/. Their stuff works great and is a little less than Dynamat.

I used a pre-molded carpet kit from SOR, but if I had to do it over again, I'd use the old carpet as a template and custom cut my own pieces from marine grade carpet -- better quality and built to take a ton of abuse.

PM me with your email address if you want to see pics of the whole operation -- some work involved but definately worth the effort ;)

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Don't spend the money on Dynamat. Roofing supply stores sell the same stuff for wayyyy less. You can go to the car stereo place and buy a small sheet of it so that the roofing house will know what it is. Roofers use it to seal leaks on flat roofs.

I was looking at the all vinyl carpet covers that CCOT are selling. It's a kit that completely covers the stock carpet front back and cargo(good sound deadening). The whole kit is about 4 bills.

CCOT FJ60/62 Floor covers

About the tar stuff. Do it when it is very cold out DO NOT SOFTEN IT AT ALL IT MAKES IT DAMN HARD TO REMOVE. use an air chisal it works like magic. COLD COLD COLD.

dogboy2 said:
To remove the carpet and add sound deadening products, first pull your seats, center console, seat belts, etc..., anything that's bolted to the floor pan. Pull the plastic trim guards that cover the pinch welds at all four doors and you should have free access to remove the carpet -- in essence, gut it.

I used a pre-molded carpet kit from SOR, but if I had to do it over again, I'd use the old carpet as a template and custom cut my own pieces from marine grade carpet -- better quality and built to take a ton of abuse.

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Dogboy - great info. just what i am trying to figure out. I know it's not rocket science, but any info ahead of time can only help.

cascade audio seems like good stuff what did you use? where?

I like the idea of using marine carpet and custom cut, but how would it really look? there are a lot of humps and irregular surfaces to cover. I was thinking of using it for the back, since it's flat and probably takes the most abuse from stuff thrown around.

thanks!!

Rob

wingysataday said:
I hurculined the whole thing. ripping out the carpet is no problemo. it's taking out the seats that takes the longest time. If you do the hurculiner. leave the tar stuff on the floor and just roll over it. I broke my neck trying to get that stuff out and found out I could just roll right over it!

The problem I had with leaving the tar stuff is that when I ripped out my carpet and durabak'd the floor, I found some rust pockets under the tar. Luckily i did this during the cold months and I could chip out the tar. Good luck.

Cheapo Home Depot marine carpet worked wonders in my 60's cargo area. While you're at it, throw in a second layer of underpad.

And if anybody needs some pretty nice gray carpet out of an '85 FJ60, let me know. Front and middle only. It's all pulled and ready to ship... :)

polarweasel said:
Cheapo Home Depot marine carpet worked wonders in my 60's cargo area. While you're at it, throw in a second layer of underpad.

And if anybody needs some pretty nice gray carpet out of an '85 FJ60, let me know. Front and middle only. It's all pulled and ready to ship... :)

How about a pic of the carpet? I need the front for sure as I have the auto shifter hole that I need to cover up. How worn is it and how badly stained.

If it is nice enough I will buy it.

Thanks,
Dunbar

MDH33 said:
I was looking at the all vinyl carpet covers that CCOT are selling. It's a kit that completely covers the stock carpet front back and cargo(good sound deadening). The whole kit is about 4 bills.

CCOT FJ60/62 Floor covers

Anyone used CCOTs aftermarket vinyl set? good? bad?

Brown Bread

There is a Dynamat equivalent (or better), called Brown Bread. I think it's available from something like b-quiet.com

I had it some time ago on a Datsun 240Z. It worked wonders, but was relatively heavy, so I removed it. If I had a FJ, I would use it, as versions of it should be water-proof/resistant.

uberhahn

what do you need carpet for. just rip it out and drill a few holes, that way you can hose it out, and use plugs to cover the holes. the only problem with the spray on liner stuff is that you will get hot feet from the lack of insulation that goes under the carpet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom