Rio Puerco - Fence West of 60th Street NW and Northern Blvd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As some of you may know, a fence has been constructed just west of the put-in where we have been entering the Rio Puerco off Northern. I have talked with several people over the last few weeks to learn more about land ownership and this new fence on behalf of the HDC.

I started with the New Mexico Land Commissioner - Aubrey Dunn. Commissioner Dunn was very helpful and asked me to contact Steven Alkeda, the local state land management director here in ABQ. Steven sent me a map that shows state land ownership verse private and pueblo ownership. All of the land that we are typically accessing during Puerco runs is private land. So the State is able to provide limited assistance in our case.

I also spoke with the Director of National Resources for the Santa Ana Pueblo, Mr. Alan Hatch. Alan was very helpful and accommodating. He said that the Santa Ana Pueblo is most interested in protecting their property north of the Alice King Way road (I think about 1 mile north of Northern). They have constructed a fence with posted no trespassing signage that complies with state requirements (see photo). The Pueblo prohibits, and will strictly enforce, access to this area, because there are significant cultural artifacts and ruins north of Alice King Way.

Santa Ana Pueblo owns the land about 600 feet "north" of northern (see map). Even though the pueblo's land extends south almost to Northern, Alan indicated that the Pueblo will not be enforcing a no trespassing mandate south of Alice King Way. Alan said the worst that would happen is a resource ranger for the Pueblo would ask you to leave.

Finally, Alan said that he drove out to look at the fence I described. He said it looked very similar to a fence that had been constructed on some of their other land and that the other fencing was removed by the Pueblo and the Sherriff. He feels that this fence may have been constructed by ranchers working that part of the land.

I am going to try to contact the rancher who may be working this part of the land. Stand by on that.

In short, I feel we should have no problem entering the Puerco and enjoying the land owned by the Pueblo as long as we stay on the right side of their official fencing. More on the land south of the pueblo as I learn.

Larry

Here is the Santa Ana Pueblo Official Fencing
Fence at Alice King Way - Santa Ana.jpg

Here is the rouge fencing west of Northern and 60th St NW

Fence west of Northern and 60th Street NW.jpg

Here is the Santa Ana Pueblo boundary

Santa Ana Alamo Ranch.jpg

Great information!
I knew that Santa Ana had purchased (from the King dynasty for $75,000,000) this portion of their ancestral lands but was not clear on exactly where it was.
I'm glad I had the chance to explore this fantastic landscape and it's world class archaeology when I could (via mountain bike in the 1980s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom