rino lining (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey every one. i was wondering what you guys think of a LC fully rino lined bottom inside and out. and if any one has done it can you show me some pics and tell me the price.

You are asking a very subjective question. Some think it's the bomb while others a detriment.

See https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/213110-77-fj40-buildup-charlotte-finally.html for A guy in Charlotte that has done this and is is spending some coin.

I had my interior Rino lined because it was cheaper and faster than paying the bodyshop that painted my Cruiser to prep/paint the interior too.

One thing most don't consider is that the Rino/Linex/whatever is going to add some serious weight to the vehicle. And then there is the whole future repair issue. It has to be removed before a repair can be made. Double your repair bill if you are paying.

Last edited:
hey every one. i was wondering what you guys think of a LC fully rino lined bottom inside and out. and if any one has done it can you show me some pics and tell me the price.

I don't have any pics, but one of my flight school instructors in Pensacola had one that was in red rhino-line. And I have to say, it looked sharp. And these days you can get color matched rhino-line and get it in various thickness if you are weight conscious.

Kinda depends on what LC you're thinking of Rhino-lining doesn't it?
It's been done. You can do it yourself pretty cheap.

Sure one can 'do it your self'. The roll-on shuff does not compair in anyway whatsoever in quality/durability to the pro sprayed-on applications whether it be Rino/Linix or whatever the current flavor.

You get what you pay for homage has never been truer in this instance.

Maybe check down in the Paint & Body forum...

One thing most don't consider is that the Rino/Linex/whatever is going to add some serious weight to the vehicle. And then there is the whole future repair issue. It has to be removed before a repair can be made. Double your repair bill if you are paying.

Serious weight? Bah! How much does a gallon of 'Liner weigh compared to a gallon of regular paint? It's a LandCruiser, everything is heavy with a LandCruiser...
Future repair issues? Shoot, just paint some more 'Liner over it...

Actually, I kinda like the Herculiner exterior. Sure it does not tolerate the UV very well, and fades and stuff. But it's cheap AND easy to apply, easy to repair, looks good enough...After rolling & brushing it on once, I sure wouldn't pay someone else to do it.

Sorry, I didn't cheap out on the Walmart or Tractor Suppy Hercliner. My Rino is 3/16-1/8 thich and added at least 50 LB to my hartop alone. I didn't thing we were talking about cheap.

I guess it all depends what one is going after.

I found it on sale at Pepboys, 60 bucks a gallon, bought 3. Put it on in a weekend.
Cheap and easy, just like I wanted.

*&$$#^% Liner

Mine is lined inside & out, done by the PO. I think it would be great for the outside if you do a bunch of thrashing in the brush like I do. Unfortunately the PO did a crappy job on the inside. No prep, it didn't stick very well except for the bolt heads. It's royal pain to try & take anything apart. The PO just fogged it on everything. I cuss everytime I have to do anything. The novelty is really wearing off!!

The rhino lining guys quoted me $600.00 to spray the interior of my tub. Ridiculous. A buddy of mine did his interior with Herculiner($79.00) and it looks and functions perfectly. I spoke with Durabak, who is a sister company of Herculiner, they offer several colors other than black or gray. They claim it's an industrial product that used in New York subways,etc. They have a really close match to the OEM Nordic Blue that is UV compliant(the UV grade was $123.00 per gallon). You can add as many coats(.025" per application,approx.one hour apart) to your desired thickness. If it ever gets ripped, you simply brush in and it self adheres. No wonder the Rhino businesses are always selling and changing owners. RIPOFF!

My buddy does the Vortex bed liners and he said the stuff weighs in at 18 lbs a gallon, not sure how much it would take to do a cruiser but a standard truck bed uses around 3 gallons and he sprays it between an 1/8" and 1/4".

Not the greatest pic but you get the picture

This is 1 weekend 3 gallons of pep-boys knock off and and a couple 12 packs. It cost about 160$. The key is to prep it right, use paint thinner and brush it on then use a heavy grit sand paper to scuff up the area you are doing, also make sure its around 85 degrees when you lay it on, the product sticks better when hot Hints the heater on the rhino liner machine. I you want to stay cheap and make it look good this is the most bang for the buck. I talk to the guys at the local Line-X shop they wanted 1100$ to do the inside and top I said :flipoff2: that.
IMG_0667.jpg

The Rhino is definitely much thicker than anything available to diy. Friend of mine did his frame off 67 FJ40 8 or ten years ago, inside the tub, and underneath the tub (road side, not the painted part) it was around 800 way back then, it costs at least that much to do a truck bed now, so it'd be higher. It really is a much superior product if you want thickness (around 1/4") and durability. That said, it's probably not necessary inside the tub of most 40's, but would have some hellacious insulating qualitys for NVH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom