Ring and pinion contact patch. Am I good ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pistonpete

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey Mudders, could you please double check my patterns here, I think I'm good to go, but would like to hear from the regear'pro's.

Have a good weekend everyone !

Thanks. :cheers:

IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG

I'm an expert....only because I have a keyboard and access to the internet :confused:. I buried mine a little deeper but I think you'll be fine especially if Jason says so.

full

Thanks guys ! This was the front diff and we had just transferred the OEM shim. Im an gonna stick with this, for for learning"s sake, what would a smidgen represent in shim thickness ??

Also, If I may ask, I started to take my rear apart to prep, and saw this setup which was done by my previous guy awhile back. Noticed the crushed sleeve is way more compressed than the one in the front ( bottom ). Could this be because when he reshimmed pinion he reused the old crush sleeve ?? and needed all those small shims to compensate for not replacing the crush sleeve ??

IMG_0242.jpeg

Pete

A smidgen would be like .0025".
What did you have the backlash set at when you checked the contact? Around .005" or so is good.
What did the coast side on the ring and also pinion contact look like?

Thanks guys ! This was the front diff and we had just transferred the OEM shim. Im an gonna stick with this, for for learning"s sake, what would a smidgen represent in shim thickness ??

Also, If I may ask, I started to take my rear apart to prep, and saw this setup which was done by my previous guy awhile back. Noticed the crushed sleeve is way more compressed than the one in the front ( bottom ). Could this be because when he reshimmed pinion he reused the old crush sleeve ?? and needed all those small shims to compensate for not replacing the crush sleeve ??

View attachment 2219135

Pete
Yeah, a bit strange to have those shims added on after the crush sleeve...maybe he re-used the old one and was trying to get correct pinion bearing preload...who knows..I guess you'd have to ask him😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom