Rims To use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
Hi,

Hoping someone can help. I am currently trying to find some black rims that will work with my application. I have a 40, SOA with front toyota disc brakes (tacoma caliper) and rear discs (kit from downey). I am looking for 15x8 black powdercoated rims, 3.5 inch backspacing, on 37 inch mud tires. The problem is that when I visited several local vendors today (ORW, 4wheel parts, discount tire, etc.) none of them had anything nor could order anything that will work for my application. I have looked at the Tech 1 rockcrawler rims as well as the american racing rims, american racing only comes in 4.0 BS and tech 1 only in 3.75. 4 wheel parts did have one black rim in 3.75 backspacing (tech 1 rockcrawlers) but they noted that it specifically mentioned that is not be used on any toyota landcruiser. I am guessing that the inside of the rim may not clear the calipers. I did check the archives but this did not give me the answer I need. I would like to hear what other are running that have my similar setup. I do have a friend who has some 15x10 chrome wheels that would work but I will need to get them sandblasted and powdercoated and would rather just get a package deal of rims and tires that will work. Any help is appreiciated.

thanks,

Noah
noastoy@san.rr.com

I got mine from Jeff Sharpe at FJ60.com. Jeff had a run of custom 15x8 black rockcrawler wheels made up with 3.5" backspacing. I was the first customer. The photo on the website is my spare...No affiliation, just a very happy customer - Jeff always treats me right.

http://www.fj60.com

Thanks for the help! Found some up north about an hour and a half from me from US wheel, no shipping as US wheel is in the same town as best value tire, $40 piece with the correct BS. Now I just have to figure out what tires to buy, any reccomendations on 37 inch mud tires? I would like something to be quite as possible on the highway (yeah right) and last fairly long. I like my BFG MTR's 33's, last along time, I think I have heard good things about the goodyears?

later,

Noah

Bfg doesn't make a 37" Mud Terrain. Biggest is a 35x12.50.

They do make the Krawler in a 37x13.50 I think. Its a rock tire, but has just as good of a mud rating as the MT.

That is a manufacturers rating, I haven't heard any IH8MUD feedback yet.

Re:tires

Noah,

Hows the windshield hinges working out?

On the tires, I have used BFG Mudders since 1999. I have replaced 8 of them for ruined sidewalls (thank goodness for America Tire Company warranty). The replacement cost has grown to $32 a tire. My point is, maybe some other tire, like the GoodYear, would work better for you. A friend of mine switched from BFG Mudders to the Goodyear mudders (because he won them in a raffle) and he claims the GoodYears are quieter on the highway than the BFG's. The GoodYears cost about 25% more than the BFG's around here, but they seem to hold up better in the sharp riocks and tree branches.

Dave

Hi Dave,

The hinges work fine, thanks. I need to repaint and install some later style w pads then all should be good.

I have decided to run out my 33 inch muds' for awhile, they are in good shape, found a discount tire here that can order the rims for $48 pc. and this includes shipping, mounting, etc. not bad. I looked into the goodyears, they are on a national BO for the last 3 months. Eventually when I run the 33's out I will go to 37's in some type of mud tire.

later,

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom