Rims for my 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Am just to the point that I ALMOST have enough $ to start seriously looking for rims/tires. With the rim issue, Chevy rims are not a plug and play application? What rims are the most troublesome, i.e. loose lug nuts , etc.
Been a long time since I bought aftermarket rims. (1970's w/ "unilugs"........bad) Anyway, any recommendations, as this will primarilly be an "icecream getter" fer me & the wife.
(SOA, stock drivetrain)

Oh, where typically would be the best place to get the best price? Sears, Auto Zone, Mail Order....?

Thanks............Oh, and it's OK to flame away about the "ice cream" gettin.

3.5" backspacing isn't common, but it's out there. Summit has a the ability to order the correct stuff, I believe the number is on the "crusier facts" link.

Width of the rim is based on your tire section width...66% is best for mixed or offroad use. Section minus 2" is claimed better for primarily ice cream.
12.5 x .66 = 8.25 round to an 8" wide rim.

I've seen a friend sold six used 15 x 8 white wagon wheels for $25. I've given away two 15 x 8 wheels to another friend. All with the correct 3.25" backspacing. My point is, 15 x 8 wagon wheels are cheap to begin with, used they are even cheaper. Try cruiser club swap meets if there are any in your area.

Dave

yeah, just look around for a bit for the wagon wheels.

as long as they aren't too nasty, you can always repaint em, or even powdercoat them if want to spend that much

malphrus

fyi, i just put a 3.5" wheel on my stock 78 and it would not turn due to contact w/ the break caliper.

rock crwaler steelies.

Almost every aftermarket rim I have tried on has rubbed. I use .25" alum spacers. The pair I have on now has worked out fine since 94 and I've run several different wheel combos. Got a bent wheel now so I'm looking at Stockton Wheels for some custom steelies that will fit perfect(so they claim). Don't remember the price but it wasn't scary.

I found that my 16" rims, 4.25" backspaced Tech1 rockcrawlers that I had on my '98 4runner fit like a charm on my FJ40. I bought them as a set from 4wheelparts, which often has free shipping offers on the weekend.

Thanks for all the responses! I was "casually" considering 10" rims. Would this be an overkill, or a better fit for 12.50's? Woody did the calcs, but the result is rounded down, or am I over thinking this.

The cost factor plays in a bit as it's about $50 total +/- rim dependant, as I'm buying 5.

This back spacing thing has me interested/concerned. I did a seach on this site and didn't get much information, maybe didn't look correctly. The backspacing involves only the clearance of the brake drums and tie rods, etc. correct?
I screwed myself a bit, on my SOA and have shims so I don't want spacers behind my wheels too unless absolutely necessary. As well am considering purchasing from a distance, and want to have a "plug-n-play" situation.

Any additional infromation is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

generally you go for an 8" with 12.50s

Malphrus is right.
10" rim with 12.5" tire is the "Jeep" look. Tires bulging out to meet the rim, bad for wheelin (more likely to pop bead at low tire pressures.) Not to mention any similarity to jeeps is bad.

[quote author=me78he78 link=board=1;threadid=16290;start=msg156462#msg156462 date=1084482008]
fyi, i just put a 3.5" wheel on my stock 78 and it would not turn due to contact w/ the break caliper.
rock crwaler steelies.
[/quote]

The problem there is the back profile of the wheel center. On some aftermarket wheels like the crawlers there is less dishing for caliper clearance and to make things worse they added a slight flange to the cutouts for styling purposes. Most of the people I know running aftermarket wheels are using the afore mentioned wagon wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom