Rim Backspacing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I'm going to be a whiner.

Woody is very frim about the 3.5" back spacing, as well others have mentioned it, and I RESPECT THAT..........no question..........but;

The problem is I just got back from a Goodyear Dealer who sells rims & tires. There were NO listings of this back spacing in the styles of rims I would be interested in. There were 3.25 & 3.75 but NO 3.5.

What happens now? Do I need to look at the 3.25's with spacers? Why wouldn't the 3.25 just ride a bit further out from the drum.............or am I not getting this concept?

I would like to make the purchase SOON. Am considering a purchase from 4WHEEL PART, or Desert Rat, but would like to keep my money local if the cost is same/close.
[rims and tires]

BTW: Any preferences/adivce for web/mag purchaces for rim/tire combos?

[quote author=Pete_S link=board=1;threadid=16388;start=msg157394#msg157394 date=1084584197]
OK, I'm going to be a whiner.

Woody is very frim about the 3.5" back spacing, as well others have mentioned it, and I RESPECT THAT..........no question..........but;

The problem is I just got back from a Goodyear Dealer who sells rims & tires. There were NO listings of this back spacing in the styles of rims I would be interested in. There were 3.25 & 3.75 but NO 3.5.

What happens now? Do I need to look at the 3.25's with spacers? Why wouldn't the 3.25 just ride a bit further out from the drum.............or am I not getting this concept?

I would like to make the purchase SOON. Am considering a purchase from 4WHEEL PART, or Desert Rat, but would like to keep my money local if the cost is same/close.
[rims and tires]

BTW: Any preferences/adivce for web/mag purchaces for rim/tire combos?
[/quote]

First- STOP WHINING!

Second- Get the pretty wheels that have the 3.25" back spacing and run them. If you were to install a .250' spacer, you then would have a 3.00" b/s wheel...yes you get it. Now, go get your wheels.

Good luck!

-Steve

it's really not THAT big a deal. If you use spacers on your pretty wheels... just be sure to torque it right and check it every once in a while so they don't loosen up on you and fall off. In VA, for example, spacers are illegal (from what i've been told by a cop).

I think what they are saying is generally you are going to rub the tie rod ends with more than 3.5" of backspace. If it doesn't rub or interfere with 3.75" backspace than go for it. But most of the time 3.5" is the max. Any more than that and you usually need a spacer. I think my wheels are 3.75" backspace and I use 1/4" spacers. 3.25" should work great.

On my '40 (1976) 3.75 backspaced rims rub on the caliper, not on the tie rod. Adding a 1/4" spacer fixed that. I got a good deal on 10" Rockcrawler steel wheels but could only get them with 3.75" backspacing. I think the spacer was worth it as the 10" rims (versus the 7" that the PO put on) widened my wheelbase and made the rig feel much more stable.

I think the backspacing on mine is 2in. They rub the caliper too. 1/4in spacers have worked great with them. There is another factor besides backspacing that causes rubbing.
My 2in BS causes my tires to rub in the fenderwells, and bulge the fender, quarterpanel etc. outward when I stuff my tire in them when I do exteme articulation. Not very extreme compared to guys like Woody though.

Found it...
[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=16290;start=msg156771#msg156771 date=1084513864]
The problem there is the back profile of the wheel center. On some aftermarket wheels like the crawlers there is less dishing for caliper clearance and to make things worse they added a slight flange to the cutouts for styling purposes. Most of the people I know running aftermarket wheels are using the afore mentioned wagon wheels.
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom