Right Hand Drive

Hey all,
Just wondering if I could get some feedback from some folks who have imported 'cruisers, as I'm looking to purchase one myself.
Do you feel comfortable driving a RHD?
Thanks guys. :cool:

dieseldog

She idles just fine . . .
GOLD Star

Three of my four cruisers are right hand drive. I love it and would never look askance at a vehicle simply for that reason. My wife can't drive mine but it's merely because she can't handle a manual tranny--and she loves being a passenger.

All that being said, I actually PREFER right hand drive. It makes parallel parking a breeze. I have never had a problem with passing and such. And just remember this: 2 million Postmen can't be wrong.

lowenbrau

SILVER Star

I've been driving Ratpuke's BJ73 lately and the RHD is no issue except for the tiny driver's side footwell. I compaired the footwell size with the truck on the hoist and the DS is about 2/3 the size of the PS due to the t-case residing under it.

I have a dumb question-is the orientation of the pedals reversed in a right hand drive vehicle? In other words, is it gas on the left and clutch on the right? If that was the case it would kinda throw me off, shifting with my left hand would be weird enough.

denis

(O) toyota nut (O)
SILVER Star

Badfish740 said:
I have a dumb question-is the orientation of the pedals reversed in a right hand drive vehicle? In other words, is it gas on the left and clutch on the right?
nope luckily it's the same as LHD.

BTW I don't think I could accomodate a RHD myself, where I drive I always have some tractors or trucks or whatever to pass and RHD would feel hazardous. :doh:

crushers

post ho

i have been bouncing from RHD to LHD drive daily for about 3 years now and i have no problem, Berni has been doing so as well and never has had a problem that she didn't have in the LHD vehicles...
IF you go for a test drive make sure the importer is willing to go at least 45 minutes or longer. this will ease the tension greatly...
cheers

mooker82

Ive driven my dads RHD and the hardest part is shifting gears with your left hand. Once you get over that its not bad at all.

Haven't driven a RHD, but I can see left had turns in traffic to be a problem.

Say you're stopped at an intersection head to head with another vehicle, both of you waiting for an opportunity to make a quick left turn. No left hand turn lane. Traffic is tight and fast, and behind the car opposite you, is a truck or bus, completely blocking your vision from oncoming traffic.

With LHD, at least you can creep toward the middle and see up stream. With RHD, you're passing up all the times you can turn until the truck passes and clears you to see.

Guess it depends on how, when and where you want to drive RHD. I'll talk to the mailman next time I see him. USPS uses RHD.

It's not a big deal

RHD is very easy. My 5'2" wife drove my RHD 45 pickup all the time. It took her about 2 minutes to figure it out. I drove it for about 3 years almost every day. It's actually a lot of fun and you do get some great looks, especially when you have your dog in the passenger seat!

I even got pulled over in it a few times. Freaked the s@#t out of one cop! But after a couple of minutes of chatting, he cop actually said that he felt safer being on the right hand side as he is not standing out in traffic.

I only had 2 problems with RHD, not even the RHD but getting back into a LHD.
-1) Since the blinker switch is reversed, I always hit the damn windshield wipers.
-2) I always went to the right hand side of any car I was about to drive. I felt like a dumbass going to the passenger side of a LHD vehicle with the keys in my hand.

dieseldog

GOLD Star

I always remember that the wiper switch is closest to the window--no matter what side of the vehicle the steering wheel is on, the wiper switch will be close to the window. Easy peasie japaneseie.

dieseldog said:
I always remember that the wiper switch is closest to the window--no matter what side of the vehicle the steering wheel is on, the wiper switch will be close to the window. Easy peasie japaneseie.

Ya... good tip ;)

We purchased our 74 off Wayne in January 04. RHD has its +'s and -'s.

The obvious -'s are: Drive thru's, passing on 2-lane roads, and left turns but only if driving alone.

The biggest +'s for me are: night driving (not having to look at the oncoming lights),
better judgement of things on the side of the road (ditches, cars, bikes, etc) and getting out on the sidewalk instead of in the traffic (being disabled make this very important for me) At CM05, I discovered another advantage. It is possible for both people to drive because after sitting on the left hand side for over 40 years it seemed natural to judge the road while being a passenger.

The biggest problem was getting used to the controls being on the oppposite side, I still turn on the wipers when I want to signal. Overall, I actually prefer the RHD over LHD.

Regards,

Is that true that back then i heard one of the statement said actually RHD way better than LHD :
1) The driver position and the leg room.. etc

dieseldog said:
i take it america has standardised laws on this,

in australia it is vehicle dependant which side wipers and indicators are on (and their all rhd)

dieseldog

GOLD Star

bad-rel-au . . . I misspoke. I meant what I said to refer to the TURN SIGNAL rather than the wiper switch. You are correct vis a vis the wiper switches being model and manufacturer dependent. In every case of which I am aware, the turn signal switch is toward the window.

paulj

You get kind of used to it. I once rented a right hand drive Mazda minivan when I was on vacation in Jamaica. Almost as soon as I got out of the parking lot and on to the main road I came to a roundabout. Sitting in the right seat, driving in the left lane and merging into oncoming traffic while manual shifting was pretty nervewracking. After a week I got pretty comfortable. What I hated was sitting in the passenger seat while my wife drove. It always seemed like we were 6 inches away from buildings and trees. They don't waste space there on things like shoulders.

Top Bottom