Right hand drive-Would you own one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After some searching I have found a couple of guys in Australia that can find good used diesel Land Cruisers that are for sale. The vehicles I have seen so far are clean with no rust or very little surface rust. ( it still is a 25+ year old truck. )
I used to import Unimogs and Pinzgauers back in the 1990's so I know how to get it in to the country. The question is this: How many people are willing to own a Right Hand Drive 60 or 70 series truck to get the diesel and 5 speed goodness that Toyota never sent us here in the USA?
I am not trying to sell or get contact info in this post, just trying to figure out if it is worth it to drive a RHD truck to get the engine/transmission combo that it comes with.

I would not purchase a RHD vehicle.

I would when it come time to sell it people jump on them for the novelty of it

What's wrong with RHD?

I drive a RHD Nissan almost daily. Other than drive throughs for food and banking, it's all the same. I go through the bank in reverse.

Takes 2 days to get used to it then you almost forget that it's different.

I would love a RHD diesel.

Cory

It's not an issue.

I've got a RHD vehicle and love driving it.

The only drawback is going through drive-throughs or toll booths.

I am considering acquiring another one in the future.

One other issue....passing semi trucks on highway. We take for granted that we can just swing out a little to see if it's clear to pass....with RHD you would have to pull all the way into opposing traffic to check...not good.

I would own one but I would install a camera on the left front bumper and use a dash monitor to assess oncoming.

One other issue....passing semi trucks on highway. We take for granted that we can just swing out a little to see if it's clear to pass....with RHD you would have to pull all the way into opposing traffic to check...not good.

I would own one but I would install a camera on the left front bumper and use a dash monitor to assess oncoming.

Valid point!

I just plan a little ahead and not tailgate, so I can peek out without putting yourself or the oncoming traffic in danger.

It's not for everyone, that's for sure. But if you're not interested in having your LHD converted or want to have a unique vehicle coming that way from the factory, then it makes making that decision a little easier. ;)

As to passing trucks , just sit 30 yards further back from them and it is not a problem.

To Dixiedog, if you think you can find rust free, diesel (either 2h or 12ht ) 5 speed 60 series at a reasonable price in Australia some body is pulling your leg. Plenty of petrol ones out there but I would venture there is not a 5 speed that wouldn't be ready for a rebuild. Anything pre 1984 is 4 speed and would have between 350-500k klms on it. It would be more practical to just buy the diesel motors and 5 speeds and import those rather than a whole vehicle. Just my opinion.

Some examples of what is available. Not one complete car available on ebay at the moment.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mall...sel-toyota-landcruiser-hj60-g-pack/1016594805

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wangara/cars-vans-utes/1984-toyota-land-cruiser-wagon/1016575641

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/oran...ota-land-cruiser-sahara-wagon-12ht/1016462923
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sorrento/cars-vans-utes/landcruiser-hj-60-/1016572405#
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wann...otor-hj60-landcruiser-and-gearbox-/1016321526

As to passing trucks , just sit 30 yards further back from them and it is not a problem.

Agreed, obviously...but being and extra 5 to 7 car lengths behind (in addition to the one car length per 10mph prescribed by the law) shortens and sometimes eliminates windows of opportunity.

I would buy one if I were a mailman. But I'm not. If you can get one though for a decent price and get it over-do it. Drive it around, see if you like it, and if you don't-sell it for a boatload of money, or use your existing Cruiser(if you have one) and make a LHD.

Negative on the RHD

Absolutely, I love my BJ73. Had it a little over two years and I would get another in a heartbeat. I have a SOA, so I have no view issues. As far as passing a semi truck, I can ease over to the right a bit and look ahead. The drive through thing isn't an issue as long as I have my wife with me.

I havent driven a RHD vehicle, so i havent learned to hate them. So, for right now, HELL YEAH ID OWN ONE!

Also, before going all out to import one from Joe Blow Down Under (Disclaimer: I'm not saying all Aussies are Joe Blows. :hillbilly:) I would browse some Canadian sites, such as Kijiji, CL or even here on Mud, especially if you're interested in the 60 series RHD diesels.

There should be a decent variety of them coming in from Japan, and make it a bit easier to have a fellow cruiserhead check on out for you.

Just a thought.

Good luck!

One.... I have 7 cruisers 4 being RHD and 3 are LHD one for each day of the week I have not seen any negatives , not sure about passing anything on a freeway in any of my cruisers unless I have a 2 mile stretch to do it.

Last edited:
I love it
if you do take the thing out on the dirt where it belongs!!
it is so much safer !!
I have save 2 different people life because it is so much easier to hug your right side on the dirt beside that dreaded cliff
For who does not like em... too bad but just don t buy a motorcycle ...
what side are you going to be then ??.. ?? lol such a big deal

I have the opposite. I drive a LHD HJ60 in a WHD country (Wrong Hand Drive:D). Yes, you'll have to keep your distance from semi-trucks, but except for those, if you have a decent lift, you'll look over 90% of the other traffic, so no problem. At gas stations you have a choice which side you go, so also no problem. And about the bank and the fastfood drive thru? What's wrong with your legs, lazy, fat Americans?!!! ;)
So WHD? No problem...

I LOVE RHD and would cherish to have another. Had a RHD CRX from Japan and thought it was great in the states. Shifting much easier and like was said before just reverse through drive throughs! Toll booths do suck but hey if that's one down fall ill take it! And it's not the wrong side it is the right side

It doesn't take long to get used to. I have a U.K. driving license and manage to stay in practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom