Right front Aisin hub is wrench turn only and likely not engaging. (FJ62) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
C13EEC85-4B40-4241-9DE8-8BE619509EA4.jpeg
66EE284B-160F-4846-8F15-CDA8CEC263BC.jpeg
D80D56A4-05B2-4853-91B9-B81B2E954F50.jpeg
So the 4x4 system has never worked while I’ve owned this FJ62 and I had thought it did. So far I’ve had the hubs serviced, right side twice. Replaced the top vacuum actuator. Gotten the transfer case moving again by using a brake bleeding kit on the lines.

As of now, no 4x4 light comes on in the dash no matter the state of the transfer case or front driveshaft engagement. However the 4 hi and 4 low lever works and the front driveshaft engages since the vacuum lines and transfer case are functioning with the dash button.

I need some help isolating if the right front hub is the holdout on the 4x4 actually working and if so, how to potentially fix it. (Can’t jack or lift the truck at the moment).

The other part I need help diagnosing is if I have an electrical switch issue since the actual 4x4 light never works, could be just the bulb, not sure.

Thought I’d make a new thread that’s in the general technical channel instead of the club one. This has been the progress so far: My FJ62 feels likes it’s 1 wheel drive out at Cape Lookout - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-fj62-feels-likes-its-1-wheel-drive-out-at-cape-lookout.1255646/

Here’s the state of the hub switch itself:

That doesn't look right. It looks like the metal ring is bent to crap, and it looks like the spring has pushed past it. Here's how the parts are supposed to look:

cruiser5-jpg.2414558

Whoever "serviced" that for you either didn't recognize the damage, or damaged it themselves. Either way, I think it's time for a new hub.

That doesn't look right. It looks like the metal ring is bent to crap, and it looks like the spring has pushed past it. Here's how the parts are supposed to look:

cruiser5-jpg.2414558

Whoever "serviced" that for you either didn't recognize the damage, or damaged it themselves. Either way, I think it's time for a new hub.
Ah, yeah based on that picture mine looks definitely bent. Should I order a rebuild kit or just a new hub all together?

Here’s a complete aftermarket hub assembly (Amazon) $61. I have no idea if it’s junk or not.

maXpeedingrods Free Wheel Manual Lock Hub 43530-69045 for Toyota Land Cruiser 1980-1986 FJ40, FJ43, FJ45, BJ40, BJ42, BJ45, BJ46, HJ47, FJ60, FJ62, BJ60, HJ60, HJ61 Amazon product ASIN B06Y2ZMW4T

Toyota wants $341 for one.

Here’s a complete aftermarket hub assembly (Amazon) $61. I have no idea if it’s junk or not.

maXpeedingrods Free Wheel Manual Lock Hub 43530-69045 for Toyota Land Cruiser 1980-1986 FJ40, FJ43, FJ45, BJ40, BJ42, BJ45, BJ46, HJ47, FJ60, FJ62, BJ60, HJ60, HJ61 Amazon product ASIN B06Y2ZMW4T

Toyota wants $341 for one.
Funny, when I click on that link, it shows me a price of $307!! I know the Canadian dollar isn't worth much these days, but come on! haha.

@TheElegantFox you could absolutely rebuild it, but for $130 for a new Aisin hub from City Racer, is it worth the hassle? I'd probably buy new.

You’ve got to make sure the hub is in the correct orientation when installing it or it will not engage properly. I think it needs to be compressed and aligned in the right tabs to get it ti seat properly over the end of the axle when it is in “lock”… I installed one poorly once and the driver side would not engage at all. After I took it apart and got it situated it worked fine. It certainly looks to me like you’ve got other issues going on. Perhaps someone got frustrated and just shoved it together to get on with the work day causing the ring to bend. That looks like there might be gear oil in the grease too. If you don’t do this kinda work yourself then I would take it to a known Toyota shop and have them do a once over on the knuckles and hubs. New hubs are probably in order not knowing what has happened in the past. They’re simple really, but shouldn’t be bent and crammed up like that.

FWIW, you can buy 60-series OEM hubs AISIN FHT013 for about $100 each at various online parts places, including Cruiser Outfitters (cruiserteq.com).

Last edited:
Go to the local junk yard that has Toyotas and grab one. They used the same ones on everything with a solid axle on it. Or look in the classified section on here and buy a used lockout. Save that one for parts or a spare as the fuse is still good and would most likely work in a pinch if you blew one up on the trail. Pretty easy to replace the bent ring on that lockout as well if you can find a competent toyota parts guy that can find the number.

You might ask if anyone has a used one in the wanted section. Any color will work if you just need to swap the insides and keep your gold knob/cover.

I would also like to post this here for future searchers...

Hub parts identified. IFS and SFA manual hubs have the same guts.

Gaskets and O-Rings are available separately. An ebay seller out of the Netherlands sells the 'Spring and Detent Ball' and ships worldwide, as well as a gasket kit that includes the spring/ball.

hub-parts-laid-out-and-idd-jpg.969267

it's all about the correct alignment of the pawl. and the other 20 pieces need to be right, but in my experience it's that one that's the trickiest. and definitely what the PO did on that one, from the look of the spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom