Rig O' Da Month: Clifford, the 1986 Toyota Hilux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey guys,

Here's a quick write-up on my '86 mini. I know a lot of yall have some serious mods...bobbed beds, SAS's, ARBs, etc...well this rig is mostly stock as far as serious mods go, so please bear with me:D

For a little background, the truck was purchased by my neighbor that works for a Toyota dealership who, at the time, restored pickups as a hobby in his spare time. He picked up this truck and did a pretty good job of bringing it back to mint, box-stock condition, and then sold it to my father. He, in turn, give me the truck for my 15th birthday. I then spent my entire first year with it learning how to drive a stick (and drive period) in this truck. It had 157,000 miles on it when we first picked it up, and after 11 years the odometer is about to roll over 300,000. I love this truck, and plan on being it's final owner...she's not going anywhere:D

Most of what I have done is a lot of restoration, engine performance work, and some awesome body armor. Though my mods may seem subtle to most, I hope some of yall will find interest in the old girl. Here goes... :cheers:

EXTERIOR / BODY:
-Fresh bodywork and paint, December 2009
-Sixditch Rockcrawling front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, angled bed-mount spare tire carrier
-5000lb receiver hitch built low profile into crawler rear bumper
-Warn M8000 winch; solenoid pack mounted under hood; wireless controller
-Toolbox w/ high-lift jack mounted to back of box
-Line-X spray-in bedliner
-Custom diff breathers (front under hood, rear under toolbox)
-Window tint 20% on door windows; 5% on all others
-Clear corner markers
-Wilson Trucker 2000 CB antenna
-All the tools, chains, straps, or anything else needed for recovery or repair kept in toolbox

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

POWERTRAIN:
-Cold Air Intake
-Electric Radiator Fan
-22reperformance.com Head:
-Ported / polished / blend work to intake / exhaust pockets
-Ported / polished intake and exhaust journals
-280 duration / .440 lift camshaft
-Titanium Valvespring retainers
-Ferrea 1mm oversize stainless steel valves
-Matched / flowed 200cc injectors
-New high-oil capacity rocker assemblies
-HD OEM timing chain kit w/ steel guides
-New OEM oil and water pump, fuel filter
-New OEM cap / plugs / wires
-All new OEM vacuum and water hoses
-Sandblasted / Powdercoated:
-Valve Cover
-Plenum
-Intake Manifold
-Fuel rails / runners
-Hand cleaned / painted:
-Throttle Body / Water Pump
-Pulleys / Brackets
-Distributor / MAF box
-All other miscellaneous motor accessories
-Rebuilt Power Steering Gearbox; Oil Pan cleaned / resealed

IMG_1366.jpg

DRIVETRAIN / SUSPENSION:

-33"x10.50 BFG MT KM's on 15"x8" Pacer Soft 8 wheels (soon to be replaced by 33" KM2's)
-4.56 3rd Members; rear V6 3rd
-Trans / T-case from 1993 W56
-Heavy duty front torsion bars, cranked slightly
-Add-a-leafs w/ 2" blocks to level lower rear wheel wells with front

IMG_1388.jpg

INTERIOR / ELECTRICAL
-Auxiliary reverse lights triggered to reverse lamps and stand-alone switch
-6 Rock / Trail lights underbody
-Seats from 95 SR5 4runner
-Console from '86 4runner; pad reupholstered
-Garmin 260w, hard-mounted to windshield; power cord extended and ran through upholstery to hide wire
-Alpine 200w head unit, iPod cable hardwired and routed to center console
-Alpine 4.5" 3-way speakers in dash
-Alpine 420w, 4ch amp pushing boston acoustic component speakers
-Alpine 400w mono-block pushing JL 10w3V3 subwoofer in box custom built into home-made bench
-Woofer box built into custom bench, fires sideways towards passenger side
-Peaked 20w Cobra 25LTD classic
-Inclinometer from 1988 4Runner

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

EMERGENCY RESPONSE
-Whelen remote-mount siren, controls installed on center console
-Star mini-phantom red LED lights in windshield (3 units)
-Whelen 180w 8-strobe head control module (2 in front corners, 4 in tail lights)
IMG_1375.jpg

Pictures don't really show off the strobes that well. I have a video (among many others) on youtube here that does a pretty good job of it...sorry for the song, it was one of my first videos and didn't know I could put in non-WMG-approved songs :doh:

I have a few wheeling trips worth of pictures that I need to get uploaded onto here, and will be put up soon...just wanted to get the spec sheet and clean pics up before the new year.

Updates will be made as things get finished with the rig. Let me know what yall think!! :cheers:

86 mini

Sweet Truck, I also have 86 that I've had for 20 years. Still stock sr5 down to the radio. Really like the way you didn't go over the top. May look you up if I ever find the time and funds to do mine.(wife,2kids,99LC,wife car,kids cars,boat,work truck,house...all sucking $.) But I'm not selling my 86 either so its not if but when I mod mine. I live in Cumming so if I see you on the road I'll pull you over.If a brown 99' LC or a white 86 4x4 reg. cab flags you down hit the shoulder. :beer: 's on me.

that is one nice rig!!!!!!!

thanks man, your's aint half bad either :banana:

Sweet Truck, I also have 86 that I've had for 20 years. Still stock sr5 down to the radio. Really like the way you didn't go over the top. May look you up if I ever find the time and funds to do mine.(wife,2kids,99LC,wife car,kids cars,boat,work truck,house...all sucking $.) But I'm not selling my 86 either so its not if but when I mod mine. I live in Cumming so if I see you on the road I'll pull you over.If a brown 99' LC or a white 86 4x4 reg. cab flags you down hit the shoulder. :beer: 's on me.

Sweet, sounds good man. Yeah we aint far from each other at all, so if you get some free time we should hit up some trails. :hillbilly:

Wheeling on New Years Eve at Union Grove...armor definitely did it's job :hillbilly:

The Creek Bed...

Playingatthecreek.jpg

Climbingthecreekwall.jpg

threefootdrop.jpg

comingdown3footdrop.jpg

The V Ditch...

VDitch1.jpg

VDitch2.jpg

VDitch5.jpg

VDitch4.jpg

VDitch3.jpg

Wow! That thing is beautiful!! :beer:

That is one great looking truck. Love what you've done with it. Do you pull people over on the trail? hahah

Naw...i use them as warning / scene safety lights when pulling out stuck jeeps and full sizes. :popcorn:

Nice truck and nice write up. I think I met you not too long ago at the Ga Cruisers mtg at Slopes in Sandy Springs. I was the one ridin the Buell. Hopefully I'll see ya again at some rides since I'm now up in Memphis, TN.

Nice truck and nice write up. I think I met you not too long ago at the Ga Cruisers mtg at Slopes in Sandy Springs. I was the one ridin the Buell. Hopefully I'll see ya again at some rides since I'm now up in Memphis, TN.

Oh yeah, i remember you. how are things? so are you permanently up in Memphis now?

Oh yeah, i remember you. how are things? so are you permanently up in Memphis now?
Things are pretty good other than still not havin my truck going. Soon enough though. And yes, 3 years up here in Memphis and then - who knows.

Things are pretty good other than still not havin my truck going. Soon enough though. And yes, 3 years up here in Memphis and then - who knows.

gotcha. why 3 years?

gotcha. why 3 years?
3 years is just the way the rotation works out. Its a real convoluted graph system going back and forth from sea duty to shore duty. Plus the Navy changes things on it all the time so I don't even try to keep up.

Im kinda partial to red x-tra cabs as well. Very nice rig

Nice, I saw your truck on YouTube a few weeks back and was talking with a buddy about your armor. I think we are goign to try and copy a few things when we make some stuff this summer. Thanks for posting up!

Holy crap, that armor is absolutely sick. Though I'm going the camping / expedition route with my 4runner, I'm soooo taking cues from almost every aspect of your rig. The bumpers are the best part, imo. I hope I can find someone local who's able and willing to do that kind of fab.

Very, very nice.

I just purchased a clean, no rust '86. It's bone stock but will add just a few tasteful mods. She's going to be a work truck.

sometimes I get mini envy and sneak over here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom