riding topless and dogs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
got a new pup this year, so far he's been great in the truck, but i'm a little worried about him with the top off. what do you do to restrain your dog, i had a harness, tied to the center one time and thought about one of those strap type cages you see on heeps.

I got my Great Dane at 6 weeks, she came home in the Cruiser and rode in it her whole life, never had an issue. Usually she would lie in the bed with her head between the seats or on my lap. Sometimes she would stand up in the back with her head up front. The funniest thing I ever saw was going down the Gulf Freeway and as we approached an underpass she would duck down low, thinking she was going to hit her head. Must have happened a hundred times. She only did that when the top was off.

The safest thing for you and your dog is to have him secured in a kennel that is secured to the vehicle so it won't move in an accident. It's harder than it sounds to pull off, but anything less is putting you both at pretty serious risk in an accident. Next best would probably be one of the harness restriants that keep the dog locked into the seat, preventing them from flying around or jumping out of the truck. Check out the Gunner Kennel crash test videos. Scary. I have a roto-molded Dakota Kennel mounted in my 100, and I'm pretty confident it would fare about as good as the Gunner with my 65-lb. black lab.

That being said, a highway accident in a topless 40 that is serious enough to be a real issue, the dog is probably the least of your worries. We all accept a certain level of risk driving these old trucks. I loved having my old dog out and free to roam in the truck with me, but this crazy lab puppy scares the hell out of me. Thousands of people have driven with dogs in no restraints at all and been fine. Fingers crossed!

Molly, my Llewellin Setter, always rode in a hammock secured to the front head rests and the rear headrests, never had any problems. Once in my brothers open jeep, he was driving, on a very narrow and dangerous trail up a cliff face in Utah she took one look over the side of the cliff and immediately lay down. Of course she was a very smart dog and I really miss her after 14 years.

I do agree with the harness and strap idea if your dog is not well trained or jumpy.

Great suggestions. Do something safe for your dog.

Years ago in the Zebranator, I took my Doberman all over the place in it. even to Kroger. I never used any restraints. I just trained him to never jump out unless I said so. Never failed and no one was brave enough to try to steel him.

^this. My lab never left the passenger seat until I told her to. It was cool watching her lean into turns.

Its not a matter of a trained dog. When you get in a crash going 60 and come to a full and sudden stop, a unsecured dog will get seriously injured if not killed. Think physics...….. Going as slow as 30 results in pretty much the same thing. My Vet deals with several dogs a year that get killed or seriously injured, some have to be put down. It not a matter of training the dog, or "I have driven with a unsecured dog for years and nothing has ever happened". You cant predict crashes. Think unsecured child....

Safest place for a dog in a vehicle in traffic is a crate behind a seat back. Ultimately will save on vet bills.

My wife has a dog that sits in the passenger seat on occasion. She bought a buckle that clips to the dogs collar and then clicks into the seat belt. It is essentially half a seat belt with a clip on the end. This seems to work good and the dog never falls off the seat when braking hard. I'm sure you can find an old cruiser seat belt and have a clip sewn in from a shop somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom