Ridge Grapplers. What’s been your experience (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know 2 different animals but there does seem to be some overlap on the on road manors in reviews.

I’ve read a few reviews about the Nitto’s on road performance being about as good as it gets. It supposedly rivals most other ATs. What has your experience been off road? How hindered do you feel about in mud, on wet rock? Considering these tires but none of the reviews mentioned much about their capability for say a lifted locked 80.

Cross shopping the STT Pro as it seems to have the best road manors and awesome off road ability. Only downside I’ve heard is the possibility of weaker sidewalls. That’s been just a few reviews though. Granted it’s an MT but it doesn’t seem like I’d be giving up much comfort for the off road ability.

@1428Mike has run the ridge and terra if i remember. He may chime in. Memory serves that you cant go wrong with either iteration. His experience was in a couple different 100 series. Me, i am stuck on Firestone Destination A/T for the foreseeable future.

I have Nitto Terra Grapplers on my fzj93 daily driver

They were excellent when new, now at 18 months old and maybe 30-40% worn and they are horrendously scary on a wet surface. So much so that I've contemplated changing them.

They are great on dry surface, and have done well for the mild offroading I've done.

No experience with the ridge grapplers.

They were excellent when new, now at 18 months old and maybe 30-40% worn and they are horrendously scary on a wet surface. So much so that I've contemplated changing them.

They are great on dry surface, and have done well for the mild offroading I've done.

Awesome, thank you for your response.

Check out the Nitto Exo Grappler AWT. I’m running these on my Dodge 2500 in 285/70R17 E for 14 months now and like them better than the two sets of Duratracs I ran prior. These tires are a hybrid design and like the Duratracs were designed for wet and otherwise slick conditions with spacing between lugs larg enough to be a descent off road tire.

I live in Washington where I drive on very wet roads for 8 months of the year and and the AWT is very confident in these conditions. It’s amazingly quiet too.

Last edited:
Check out the Nitto Exo Grappler AWT. I’m running these on my Dodge 2500 in 285/70R17 E for 14 months now and like them better than the two sets of Duratracs I ran prior. These tires are a hybrid design and like the Duratracs were designed for wet and otherwise slick conditions with spacing between lugs larg enough to a descent off road tire.

I live in Washington where I drive on very wet roads for 8 months of the year and and the AWT is very confident in these conditions. It’s amazingly quiet too.

Those do look amazing in wet conditions. Will let you know.

I ran a set of the Ridges on the 200 - nice compromise of grip and ride quality...... that said, unless you need the traction or mud capability I found the AT2's to run large for their size and be super smooth..... on the 200 they took less then 2 oz. on the worst of the tires and they are one of the few that has a speed rating to 115....( not an issue for the 80 unless you got Joey's snail mounted on your block..) I ran them on the wifes Merc as well and was really impressed again.... we took it up Imogene with no issues and never had to use the lockers.

I ran two sets of Terra Grapplers and now running Ridge Grapplers in the 80. I'm happy with them as they did well in UT Lockharrt Basin and had great traction during a freak snow storm we had in NM. I'm part time RWD so I tried to get the rear end loose and it took quite a bit of effort. They do have a slight hum but that is NOTHING compared to the STT MAXX I ran for five weeks prior to this set. Now, those tires were loud and Discount Tires never did able to balance them well.

I recommend the Ridge Grapplers as they're a decent set of hybrid tires.

After all the feedback and a bit more research I think I’ve picked out my tires. A would be hybrid of the Ridge Grapplers and the STT Pros...

A year and a half ago Cooper made a tire for Mickey Thompson called the Baja Boss. From everything I see it has all the off road ability of the STT Pro and even better road manors. An STT Pro 2.0 if there was such a thing. Quiet, rugged with 50% increased sidewall strength over a MTZ P3 or STT Pro and good looks to boot. Should be picking some up after Christmas.

Do keep an eye on the weight of the tire as that does impact our anemic engines! That's why I initially went with the MAXX but ended up with a heavier tire with the Ridge Grapplers. Even though I'm turbo'ed I still try to keep that rotating mass to a min if at all possible.

Good luck with your purchase.

Ran large ridge grapplers on my last truck and have a more normal size on my LC200. Love em. Fantastic in snow, rain and the like, Little loud at first but after break-in and a rotation or two, I find they wear beautifully. Not light but I worth it in my mind for all the positives... A more evolved Duratrac if you will.

Ran Terra Grapplers, I liked them overall, but I only got about 25,000 miles out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom