Riddle me this: Who puts a 17 year old vehicle in the shop for $3500 "worth" of repairs? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just wanted to chime in... I spent north of 40xxx to restore my 100series from the ground up; body off frame, replace all consumables etc. 😂😂 This was done a Lexus dealer... then proceeded to sell my soul to them to pay it back.

Man let's see the pics!

Man let's see the pics!
This is a old picture. Tried to find some of the pics from when it was in the bodyshop getting all the rust cut out and new oem panels welded back in...

F6BA576F-CEE9-40E3-B670-2D8FB15437BF.jpeg

I’m doing the same thing right now but mines almost 21 years old. How did or work out for you?
It actually worked well. Just began the 2nd 0.245 million miles! :)

It actually worked well. Just began the 2nd 0.245 million miles! :)
Good to hear. I just hit 210 k miles and having the radiator, water pump, thermostat, timing belt, and hoses replaced. Just replaced the entire throttle body also. A cool $3k. I enjoy this vehicle and want to keep it going.

Funny. That is nothing on a vehicle built like a 100. They will last forever if treated correctly. New stuff is terrible. Way under built and most materials are now super cheap feeling.

Funny. That is nothing on a vehicle built like a 100. They will last forever if treated correctly. New stuff is terrible. Way under built and most materials are now super cheap feeling.
This, when my wife got her 2014 ES350, it felt hollow (we've had no problems with it, just my perception), when I got my 2020 Avalon late last year, it has a even more hollow feeling. I'm comparing it to my prior cars (2009 Camry, 2004 4Runner and a 1998 Corolla).

Here’s this guy when purchased in 2012, we bought it to keep at a second home so it gets a lot of alone time. This fall I brought it home for TLC. I’m in the middle of its second timing belt, although the 1st that I have done myself. I’m replacing everything in sight...,hoses, heater T’s, radiator, and every component that can be replaced when doing this job (fan bracket, fan clutch ect.). I spent $1,200 in parts alone but it’s only costing me time and a good beer to get it done. Up next is a brake job and suspension upgrade. This thing has been bullet proof and super reliable so I’m trying to get it ready for the next decade.

B6D43DE1-FB6E-40AD-808C-64E8EDA461FB.jpeg

0D616D3E-8744-4618-9748-BE519D698F01.jpeg

Here’s this guy when purchased in 2012, we bought it to keep at a second home so it gets a lot of alone time. This fall I brought it home for TLC. I’m in the middle of its second timing belt, although the 1st that I have done myself. I’m replacing everything in sight...,hoses, heater T’s, radiator, and every component that can be replaced when doing this job (fan bracket, fan clutch ect.). I spent $1,200 in parts alone but it’s only costing me time and a good beer to get it done. Up next is a brake job and suspension upgrade. This thing has been bullet proof and super reliable so I’m trying to get it ready for the next decade.

View attachment 2555778

View attachment 2555779
Hummmmm that looks a super familiar. This is what mine looks like this morning. Are you changing the cam seal? I’ve not seen anything on doing that so far in all my research. Ordered from Cruiser Outfitters so I’ve got the part. Thoughts?

894D1343-99F8-4A82-82D7-CDAC4C0C0129.jpeg

3E618D7C-0D9C-41D1-AF46-87013162D773.jpeg

Hummmmm that looks a super familiar. This is what mine looks like this morning. Are you changing the cam seal? I’ve not seen anything on doing that so far in all my research. Ordered from Cruiser Outfitters so I’ve got the part. Thoughts?

Debating that this morning, mine are dry but I’m right here now and can do them. The truck is a 99 and those are probably the original seals. These seals are probably the only parts I neglected to buy but a friend has a pair, so I’m leaning towards replacing them since I’m not in a hurry to get it back running. I’ll see what I can find to hold the cams while I break the nut free and get them replaced.

Debating that this morning, mine are dry but I’m right here now and can do them. The truck is a 99 and those are probably the original seals. These seals are probably the only parts I neglected to buy but a friend has a pair, so I’m leaning towards replacing them since I’m not in a hurry to get it back running. I’ll see what I can find to hold the cams while I break the nut free and get them replaced.
Mines a 99 too. Let me know what you decide. I’m not getting any further until this afternoon.

Original owner of an '01 LC that I'm restoring. Just about to finish spending $6300 on paint, leather, carpet and mats. Just put new AC in, evaporator and compressor. Within the last two years I've done an all new complete sound system, exhaust, suspension, tires, breaks (including re-packing the bearings), and engine work. Timing belt, water pump, thermostat a few years ago. And I know I'm looking down the barrel of a cat, a radiator, and starter coming at me at some point not too far off. So, yeah.....

I’m figuring a alternator or starter will be coming at me next.
My wife thinks I am crazy since my LC is a second car. But it’s the one I drive most. The thought of selling it or just letting it sit kills me.

Mines a 99 too. Let me know what you decide. I’m not getting any further until this afternoon.
I picked up the cam seals this morning and hope to get dirty this afternoon, keeping the “while you are there“ theme alive.

I used a strap wrench for mine since I don’t have a cam wrench, it worked good enough to get the seals swapped out. I had trouble holding the cam but managed to break the nut(s) free and get them torqued. Had to reset them back to the timing belt T mark since they moved a little between the removal and torquing. Called it a day after getting both sides built back up, water jacket up next.

119C43D5-D70C-4254-A69E-DBFF1CB5AED4.jpeg

$3,500 maintenance is really only 5 monthly payments on a $40,000 "new" vehicle. The depreciation on that "new" vehicle will probably chase and overtake those pmts. Long live the 100!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom