Rick's 1998 Tacoma Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well.... It's fairly 'built' already... But I'm new to IH8MUD, so here is how it stands right now....

DSC02349.jpg

1998 Tacoma Extra Cab (PreRunner -> 4WD conversion)
Custom Bed/RTT rack
CampingLab RTT w/ changing room
Edgestar 43qt fridge
4.88 motive gears
ARB locked rear
BentUp bumpers front and rear
RevengeFab rock sliders
199mm Tundra front brake conversion
SAW 2.5 coilovers
Wheeler's 5-leaf rear with Bilstein 5125 shocks
Viair 460 compressor with 2.5 gal air tank
1" 4Crawler body lift
fog, driving, backup, rock lights
Optima redtop battery
285-75R16 BFG AT tires
Uniden CB - ashtray mounted
CBI frame plates

.... I sure I'm forgetting other mods ....

DSC02087.jpg

Yes, I took a bone-stock 2.7L prerunner and swapped in the necessary components converting it to an IFS 4x4. Ran into a few problems along the way - primarily with incorporating the tranny/xcase out of a 3.4L truck.

So far, it hasn't let me down. Everything I've asked the truck to do, it's done. At this stage, the truck is more capable than the driver.

I try to wheel at least once a month out here in SoCal. Mostly with the SoCal TTORA crew (disclaimer - I am the current chapter president for SoCal TTORA). I'm also an active poster over at the Expedition Portal forum - I use the same screen name on all forums.

I do have future plans for the truck. Right now the rear suspension needs beefing up, probably a custom pack. I'd like to add a winch along with a second battery. I'd also like to revisit the bed rack and add a swing-a-way tire carrier.

Rick,
Welcome to MUD, :flipoff2:. I met you when I stopped for lunch at the fish creek campground when you were setting up you were setting up for the TTORA event last fall I believe. I had the LX450 and the other was the 40th anniversay 80. Again, welcome!

Derrick

Nice looking truck. You running the full 2.5" on your SAWs? Any rubbing issues with your current setup? Welcome to the board.

Nice looking truck. You running the full 2.5" on your SAWs? Any rubbing issues with your current setup? Welcome to the board.

I've barely got them cranked up right now, so no - not the full 2.5". I do have some minor rubbing issues; frame rail when steering is full lock (mostly the drivers side) and some UCA rub when aired down. I did do the pinchweld mod early on and clearanced the front bumper so it didn't project into the wheelwell. I am surprised I'm not rubbing on the windshield washer reservoir. Thanks for the props and the welcome!

Rick

Welcome :flipoff2:

I recognize your truck from TTORA.

Amazing amount of work (and money, I'm sure) into that thing. :cheers:

Thanks! I do spend an inordinate amount of time over at TTORA. :D

I've done my best to keep costs down by doing most of the work myself and finding 'bargains' on the parts I've purchased - couldn't have done it any other way.... or wouldn't be as far along....

And it's not 'done' yet :lol:

Rick

Hit a milestone just the other day
DSC02383.jpg

Really doesn't look much different than my first 'run'
DSC00186.jpg

PS - [showing my newbie-ness] What's up with the asterisks? I'm used to that being a censored word/phrase :confused:

[showing my newbie-ness] What's up with the asterisks? I'm used to that being a censored word/phrase :confused:

They should be...it's a bit touchy and censors those words where ever they are. Even connected to the rest of the word..
IE: assassin

If you go to user cp then edit options, you can free yourself from the censor. Some are automatically censored as a default.

Congrats on a nice claen truck and the 200K mark!
I'm 3/4 the way there myself!
Your rack for the tent, more info (materials constructed from) and close up pics please!

Congrats on 200K! I'm amazed by the durability of these 3RZ engines, I've got over 230K on mine and it never falters. My 33x12.50s rub the frame at full crank also, my All-Pro UCAs will contact the springs at full droop as well, I understand these are pretty common issues.

Brad

All pics can be found here
Pictures by pray4surfadventures - Photobucket

Sorry, they are pretty loosely organized :grinpimp:

Tubing on the rack is .090 x 1-1/2" - One of these days, I'm going to redo it - I want another hoop at the back... for carrying surfboards/lumber/etc.

The slight rubbing doesn't really bother me. One of these days I'll get some aftermarket rims with a little less backspacing.... I never 'feel' the UCA rub, but if I start rubbin gon the frame I just slightly back off the steering wheel and press on...

Rick

Time flies...

230,000 on the odometer now. Been rear-ended, replaced the bed rack, sold some goodies, added more leafs and been driving the piss out of this truck

RTTatBobs1_zpsec64c82e.jpg

Hoops2_zpsbfce0354.jpg

Misc2011050_zps4e31f838.jpg

RTTupstraps_zpsb62632d4.jpg

RTTRafters_zpse50b4ee2.jpg

image_zpsd1381faf.jpg

In case you are wondering... Yes, the RTT raises from a lower position (for transporting) to a higher position (for utilization). Why? I have the slide on annex (see pic 1) - in order to appropriately 'use' the annex space (ie stand up in), the RTT needs to be deployed from the rooftop height. I didn't want the RTT to travel at that height. Think, air resistance and COG issues. Two rotating tubes assisted with gas charged struts and within a minute, the RTT is deployed to an desirable height. Designed so that one person alone can deploy and stow the RTT

Very nice set up. I love the rtt mounting system.

From Inside a hotel

Any chance you from the island of Oahu? Your handle is a surf spot back on da west side of Oahu!

Any chance you from the island of Oahu? Your handle is a surf spot back on da west side of Oahu!
Nope - "pray for surf" was a decal laminated into my first surfboard when I was a just a little boy (8 yrs of age). Both parents surfed in the 60's and my last name happens to be Pray - Simply a moniker I've retained all these years. But in all my years, I've never had the pleasure of going to the islands. Maybe when I retire...

Anyways, cause I don't like to haul the RTT around all the time, I can slap this tarp onto the rack and keep the sun off the bed...

SafariTop2_zps8273a1f7.jpg

In a previous post, you can see the 1/2" EMT bows/hoops which provide additional support mid span.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom