Richmond Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope that this is the right club to post in, let me know if either of the other clubs is more appropriate.

Well, out of the blue my wife has been head hunted for a job in Richmond. It has now reached the point where she is flying in for an interview in the next week or two. She is going to spend a a day or two extra trying to get a feel for the city and surrounding area. I’m looking for suggestions on school districts and neighborhoods that are no more than a 30 minute drive to downtown Richmond. Longer commutes using public transportation are ok. Rural is okay with me. One thing that has me interested is there appears to be areas that fit the bill with +2 acre properties using online searches. This just might be my chance to justify owning a tractor and a large shop/barn. I guess I’m looking for some ground truth and wisdom from people who live their.

It will take a proverbial “horse head in the bed” type of offer to pry my desiccated body out of the desert, but I’m trying to stay open minded. I lived in Boston for a few years so west of the 100th meridian isn’t my only experience. I’ll appreciate any advice or ideas.

Thanks, Ross

I live about an hour west of Richmond. I can't really speak for school districts. I think your best bet for property of some size is likely going to be west of town. Maybe I am biased but it's pretty much country once you are 15 min away from Richmond. I would probably check out around Goochland and Powhatan, or follow 64W and see what you can find. My wife drives into Richmond a few days a week and the commute from the west into town is not too bad, some traffic but nothing like other major cities. Plus if you are on the west of town you are closer to the mountains :)

Multiple options in all directions. I too like the western part outside of the city. Closer to the mountains. It all depends on your budget and what type of property and house you are looking for. It also has to do with traffic not just on the interstate. Richmond is growing all the time.

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely suggest she look west. We would try to keep it in the $350K range, but have flexibility for the right place.

She heads out next week.

I second the recommendation to head west of town. Also the south side of the James river will be a little cheaper. You could look in Chesterfield/midlothian suburbs or slightly more rural Powhatan to the west of them. Schools in the suburbs are all pretty good.

West of the city will get you closer to mountains, with more hills, streams, and woods interspersed.
The east side of the city gets into the country much quicker with a lot less suburban sprawl. Not very familiar with the schools but it is pretty. A bit flatter and more farm/agrarian feeling.

As for the city itself, it is constantly growing, especially in the last 10 years. There’s a big beer and food scene, and lots of wineries as you get an hour out, especially west toward Charlottesville. VCU (Virginia commonwealth University) Has one of the best art programs in the country, so adds a lot to the culture of the city.

Good luck with your decisions!

-Ryan

I live 30 minutes south of Richmond in Prince George co. There is a 5 acre piece of property directly in front of my land thats for sale.
Don't know if your looking for the country life style or if city ( neighborhood living to me ).
Varina and New Kent are also some nice areas to check out.
Hit me up if you have any questions.

I guess I should update this as nobody likes an unfinished story. The Mrs. really liked Richmond. She didn't like the job so the relocation is a no-go. Halfway sad and halfway happy as I'm a desert rat at heart.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom