Rhino Rack Pioneer platform installed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ahh got it. I think there are three different types of factory racks and they vary on which years has which locations. I ended up cutting my drip tray up for the backbone. Good luck!
Thanks,
Yeah the LX470 used the other one.

What’s neat is if you remove your moulding altogether Front Runner, Dissent, Gamiviti, and Sherpa Eq all use the whole total of eight mounting points.

Just wish ARB or Rhino would extend their Backbone a bit and capture that last one up front.

Much to ponder.

Added a Pioneer platform on the backbone system this week. Taking the factory rack off my 2000 was made difficult by the fact that I was following Rhino Rack’s directions for removal instead of the thread on Mud. I had the center feet without the flip out panel, so I dinged them up a bit trying to open and expose the mounting bolts. Finished destroying the factory center feet when I found they had been holding water and the bolts were rusted away. Had to cut the plastic and use vise grips to turn the bolts as others have.

As far as the install goes, my only advice would be to keep the center cam lock bolts as loose as possible when setting the rack on the backbone. VERY little clearance underneath, and it takes some contortion to get the center mounts engaged and tightened down. A ratcheting wrench is your friend, not even enough clearance for a socket.

View attachment 2657553

And now that it’s successfully installed, I’ve got a factory rack (sans center feet) available if anyone in New England needs one.

Also, I ended up with a second rack from Amazon when the first arrived late and missing parts. I ordered everything missing from Rhino Rack, so if anyone wants a good deal on a new platform (no backbone), check the classsifieds for my listing.
Which size pioneer platform did you use. I have a 200 series and my son has a 100 series. I have the same set up on my 200 series. I was going to buy the backbone to add to his 100 series and put my 84”x49” pioneer platform on his. Wanted to make sure it would fit. Rhino-Rack used the 84”x56”.

I
Which size pioneer platform did you use. I have a 200 series and my son has a 100 series. I have the same set up on my 200 series. I was going to buy the backbone to add to his 100 series and put my 84”x49” pioneer platform on his. Wanted to make sure it would fit. Rhino-Rack used the 84”x56”.
used the 76x54, which is supposed to be a universal size. No issues fitting that one to the backbone. 49” might be too narrow, but I’m not 100% sure.

I believe the 49” wide ones work but you’ll need a leg height spacer kit. I’d call RR and check with them.

So I dug a bit deeper into my memory bank. The 49" Pioneer platform will work on the 100 but I think you need to 6 feet instead of the backbone. If you have the feet, you need these spacers to run the 49" platform.
They might work with the backbone but it doesn't look like it would be ideal due to how the spacers would sit on the tabs of the backbone versus being cradled in the foot. If you go through the pictures in the link, you'll see what I mean.

If you happen to go with the 6 feet, the RCL will work and make the platform sit a bit closer to the truck if you want the low profile look.

Well I ended up using the RCH6 feet and man it was a tight fit getting the included Allen key in and tightening down the middle bar.
Also used the RCP02-BK kit.

I went with a combo of Rhino Rack QMHD05 spacers ground down smooth with a Dremel and three K-9 load bars. Like what @clayinho did.
I was able to get the K-9 bars for a great deal and free shipping from Equipt before the pricing had to increase.

It was a lower price point and I'm happy with it so far.

Once I have the ARB brackets and awning on there I'll throw up a picture.

Amazon has a couple used "like new" platforms for $576 right now. Not a smoking deal but good enough to grab it now if you're on the fence.

Amazon product ASIN B01966CH0E
And while the credit card is out, you may as well grab the required feet. $142 for a used set.

Amazon product ASIN B07B4QKPCC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom