Rhino Rack Batwing 270 Awning Walls - Setup Time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm considering buying awning walls for my 270 but they seem like kind of a pain to setup and take down. Anyone have experience with these? What's the setup/teardown time like? Where do you store the walls when not in use? They seem pretty bulky and like they might be a pain in the arse.

Rhino was blowing out the walls cheap last year so I grabbed four. They definitely are not a fast setup - I don't put them up if I'm just doing a single night - but if you're in a spot for a few days, they make a ton of extra room out of the sun, wind and rain once they are up. You're staking everything down - first the poles, then the walls so that's where the time comes in. My only complaint is the zippers connecting the top of wall to the awning want to unzip if any wind is blowing on the wall. I had some small Nite Ize gear ties that I secured the zipper with and problem solved. When I'm traveling they're up top in my gear box. They don't take much room considering the shelter they provide.

Cool - yeah, I was thinking that I'd likely only put them up if I was going to be in one spot for a few nights. I've got the awning on my camper and would really like to have a little more shelter for the rainy months up here in the PNW.

Thanks for the info

I have 4 tapered walls. I'm going to say to zip them all together, and put 3 stakes in each wall, is about 20- 25 min. To deploy is about 5 mins(I have an aluminum bar that bolts to back of the trailer, and that takes 2 wing nuts)

I have the the shower mounted as the same side as the Foxwing, and that's where the potti lives when I'm set up.

I only use stakes and guys on the poles if there's a chance of severe weather.

I keep then stored in a soft duffle that gets thrown in the trailer, 4 walls fit perfect with a little stuffing. I can provide a link if you need it. The duffle then acts as a storage bag for the chairs, stove, camp table bags.

The walls provide privacy to get dressed, go the bathroom and take a shower. When the weather is not so nice, we bring the propane firepit in there, and I've had as many as 8 people in chairs in there hanging out from the cold and wet.

In the colder campouts, I sewed a stove jack in the sidewall...and it becomes my bedroom with a woodstove for 4 days.

IMG_20181110_114045_685.jpg

Honestly, I can't imagine going camping without it anymore.

dji_export_1659966841818.jpg

Last edited:
I'm considering buying awning walls for my 270 but they seem like kind of a pain to setup and take down. Anyone have experience with these? What's the setup/teardown time like? Where do you store the walls when not in use? They seem pretty bulky and like they might be a pain in the arse.
I have two of the walls. I should get one or two more. Lots of options for setting them up. It takes a while but it's not too bad. They come in nice zippered bags, I usually put them on the floor behind the front seats.

I have 4 tapered walls. I'm going to say to zip them all together, and put 3 stakes in each wall, is about 20- 25 min. To deploy is about 5 mins(I have an aluminum bar that bolts to back of the trailer, and that takes 2 wing nuts)

I have the the shower mounted as the same side as the Foxwing, and that's where the potti lives when I'm set up.

I only use stakes and guys on the poles if there's a chance of severe weather.

I keep then stored in a soft duffle that gets thrown in the trailer, 4 walls fit perfect with a little stuffing. I can provide a link if you need it. The duffle then acts as a storage bag for the chairs, stove, camp table bags.

The walls provide privacy to get dressed, go the bathroom and take a shower. When the weather is not so nice, we bring the propane firepit in there, and I've had as many as 8 people in chairs in there hanging out from the cold and wet.

In the colder campouts, I sewed a stove jack in the sidewall...and it becomes my bedroom with a woodstove for 4 days.

View attachment 3078135

Honestly, I can't imagine going camping without it anymore.

View attachment 3081785
You talked me into getting another one for mine. I have the "compact" awning version, and they've discontinued it (the walls at least). I found one used for $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom