rhino or line-x on rooftop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I coated my whole 60, top to bottom, with Raptor Liner tinted 033 white. I think it looks pretty good.

I like that a LOT! After reading a couple of the Al's Liner threads, I'm thinking a liner job is on my to do list.

I used herculiner on the lower contours 4 yrs. ago when I got my truck and it has held up really well and still looks great. Fedex just delivered a gallon of the grey which is too light to match the warm grey poly so I'm going to tint it with the black uv stuff i apply each year to freshen it up. Hopefully it'll work and I can match the existing color of grey for the roof. If it works, I'll do the hood as well. I know there are a lot of new liners available, but herculiner has held up and there has been no delamination. I like it. Crossing fingers on the tinting.

Thanks gents, I love it. It's a bitch to keep the white clean though.

General process:

1. Clean off all grease, all dirt, everything that isn't permanently applied to the body
2. Sand all already painted surfaces with 100 grit sandpaper
3. Wipe down all surfaces with Xylene
4. Spray Raptor Liner @ 40 PSI ( measured with gun trigger fully depressed )

IMG_20111207_221218.jpg

GLTHFJ60 said:
Thanks gents, I love it. It's a bitch to keep the white clean though.

General process:

1. Clean off all grease, all dirt, everything that isn't permanently applied to the body
2. Sand all already painted surfaces with 100 grit sandpaper
3. Wipe down all surfaces with Xylene
4. Spray Raptor Liner @ 40 PSI ( measured with gun trigger fully depressed )

I've read people rolled it on to and said it worked good...any thoughts? Thanks!

~Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

I've read people rolled it on to and said it worked good...any thoughts? Thanks!

~Daniel

No. I sprayed it on and I love the texture of the spray. I'm sure the durability and UV stability would be there if you rolled it on, but I have no idea what the texture would be like.

Hey Johnny, when did you do that? I don't remember MoonShine looking like that before you moved down South. Is it another new mod?

Hey Johnny, when did you do that? I don't remember MoonShine looking like that before you moved down South. Is it another new mod?

Yeah man, swapped on a rust free 87 body, but chopped the rockers and raptor lined the whole thing on a rotisserie before bolting it down. Happened only a couple of months ago in December, all documented in my moonshine thread :D

Ah, that explains it. I hadn't been following your thread (obviously), but I though that you swapped a new frame under MoonShine, not the other way around. It looks beautiful.

And, to end my thread hijack: white sounds great. You've got me thinking about doing it myself now, too. Just be sure to scrape out/redo the seam sealer and fix any rust before you do so.

I have black Line-X on the roof of my brown 60. Ludicrously hot in the summer sun. Lining inside the roof with Reflectix (foil bubble wrap stuff) has helped a lot.

If you're going to coat the roof, any color but black is my vote, and the lighter the better.

polarweasel said:
I have black Line-X on the roof of my brown 60. Ludicrously hot in the summer sun. Lining inside the roof with Reflectix (foil bubble wrap stuff) has helped a lot.

If you're going to coat the roof, any color but black is my vote, and the lighter the better.

Thanks for sharing...good to know!

~Daniel

does that mean you pulled off all chrome from raingutters and resealed them and then painted? is it common for guys to rid themselves of the chrome?

I used Durabak and love it. Check out the thread I've started.

Oh and yes. Remove the chrome. Place for water up collect and rust out your gutters. When I sprayed my roof with the Durabak, my gutters were in perfect condition and will be for its entire life. It even matches the tan of my 60.
I live this stuff. You will too.

what i decided

here is a pic of what i have done so far...
1. rustoleum truck bed lining on top (tan) 1 coat,removed chrome
2. rustoleum truck bed lining on fenders and sides (black)
3. in process of painting ultra flat camo tan color only
DSCI0021.jpg

I made a new roof rack with an aluminum deck for my 60 which is the dark metallic gray color. In the summer heat it feels 20 degrees cooler inside. The "Tropical Roof" works.

I like the coatings too and am going to do the lower parts of the doors, rockers and fenders with Line-X.

Doug
004.jpg
005.jpg

Just got our rig back from the liner place!

image-1929183184.jpg
Before

image-2452282504.jpg
After

image-1350402976.jpg

image-4080164353.jpg

image-466581930.jpg

Now I need to finish the mods to the ARB rack and get it back on!

-Daniel

image-2452282504.jpg
image-1350402976.jpg
image-4080164353.jpg
image-466581930.jpg
image-1929183184.jpg

Last edited:
How about some Lizard Skin or Second Skin? They're made to insulate so they should work well for keeping things cool.

tclark said:
How about some Lizard Skin or Second Skin? They're made to insulate so they should work well for keeping things cool.

Those are cool...possibly something to line door panels with.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom