Rhino Lined, Hurculiner, Line-X, etc............ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zero Rust isn't in the bedliner league.

There's one more called "HippoLiner" out there. When I used it on the floor of our '65 it was the only tintable liner product available for home application.

It worked good. Sprayed easily with one of those $12. guns, and tinted perfectly with a few ounces of the body color paint. Holds up real well after over three years now.

I only did this because in welding in new steel to the floorboard the result was OK but not like the original. I considered bedliner products to be coverup methods in cruisers and wouldn't do it to a nice original truck.

I didn't see anyone post anything about Turboliner. I have it in my Dodge and it's pretty good stuff. I was told Turboliner is what they use on the Alaska pipelines. Higher tolerances (both hot and cold) so it doesn't break down as early. Might be another option.

http://www.turboliner.com/

Bullhide locations I know of are Bullhide 4x4 in Ft. Collins (S. College Ave.) & Cheyenne WY. I can't find any other Colorado locations with a quick search, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is one in the Denver area. I would call the Ft. Collins store (find phone number on dexonline).

I had mine done four or more years ago so I don't know how much the going rate would be now. I also removed the seats & gas tank myself as well as much of the metal prep to help reduce the cost.

I have a spray in bed liner in my pick up from a company called "Custom Linings". They're considerably smaller than Line X or Rhino Liner but their product is more in line with Line X than Rhino Liner. My buddy bought into their franchise and I would help him spray bedliners on the weekends or after work so, I sprayed my truck myself. It's three year old and is still holding up great. Having said that here's what little I learned about bed liners...
Prep work is everthing. 75% of the cost is associated to prepping the vehicle: Special wire tape is used for masking, sanding/roughing the entire surface, removing all residue, etc. We would spend 1 to 2 hours prepping (depending on the job) and 5 to 7 minutes spraying.
I like the hot, high pressure application of a Line X type product. It lays on nicer and drys in seconds. Rhino Liner has an "oatmeal" texture that I don't like AND not all Rhino Lliner shops add uv protection to their product. That's why you can call two different shops and see about a $50 price difference. I've seen trucks sprayed with Rhino Liner w/o uv protection, and within a year the product was breaking down leaving a "soot" residue that got over everything that it came in contact with. (not the case with Line X) Line X and Custom Linings had a harder finish that better resisted chipping and tearing than the "rubbery" finish of Rhino Liner. It's been a couple years since I dealt with any of this stuff so some of my opinions might be outdated.
After saying all that, I used Durabak on the interior of my tub and it turned out pretty nice. I sprayed it on vs. rolling it and was pretty pleased with the results. It's a pretty hard finish though, not a rubbery texture like Rhino Liner. I also called Line X before deciding on Durabak, and was quoted $600. Pretty reasonable, I thought, considering the factors I stated above. But, cash is king and I thought I could achieve my desired results for around $100. So far, it's paid off, the Durabak is holdind up great.

ashannon said:
I have a spray in bed liner in my pick up from a company called "Custom Linings". They're considerably smaller than Line X or Rhino Liner but their product is more in line with Line X than Rhino Liner. My buddy bought into their franchise and I would help him spray bedliners on the weekends or after work so, I sprayed my truck myself. It's three year old and is still holding up great. Having said that here's what little I learned about bed liners...
Prep work is everthing. 75% of the cost is associated to prepping the vehicle: Special wire tape is used for masking, sanding/roughing the entire surface, removing all residue, etc. We would spend 1 to 2 hours prepping (depending on the job) and 5 to 7 minutes spraying.
I like the hot, high pressure application of a Line X type product. It lays on nicer and drys in seconds. Rhino Liner has an "oatmeal" texture that I don't like AND not all Rhino Lliner shops add uv protection to their product. That's why you can call two different shops and see about a $50 price difference. I've seen trucks sprayed with Rhino Liner w/o uv protection, and within a year the product was breaking down leaving a "soot" residue that got over everything that it came in contact with. (not the case with Line X) Line X and Custom Linings had a harder finish that better resisted chipping and tearing than the "rubbery" finish of Rhino Liner. It's been a couple years since I dealt with any of this stuff so some of my opinions might be outdated.
After saying all that, I used Durabak on the interior of my tub and it turned out pretty nice. I sprayed it on vs. rolling it and was pretty pleased with the results. It's a pretty hard finish though, not a rubbery texture like Rhino Liner. I also called Line X before deciding on Durabak, and was quoted $600. Pretty reasonable, I thought, considering the factors I stated above. But, cash is king and I thought I could achieve my desired results for around $100. So far, it's paid off, the Durabak is holdind up great.

ashannon: how is the Durabak holding up to date?

Cothran said:
I recently saw an ad for Durabak. I'm not too familiar with it, but it seems like what I'm looking for - more of a rubberized coating than a hard finish. I might be doing the interior flooring with it. It comes in about 8 different colors. http://www.durabak.com/durabak.htm
http://www.nonslipcoating.com
Does anyone have any experience with it?

Edited to add:

After reading a little more about it, it looks like it comes in smooth and textured coatings, as well as 15 different colors. They even have an example of an FJ in light blue:
74landcruiser.jpg

Durabak question comes up often
I liked it..
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=98757

Why line-X

IMHO line-X is the best product out there. I have it in the bed of my truck. An over the rail application cost $430.00 at the time, because it was new in my area but the price has since gone down. I have hauled all kinds of stuff (rocks, shale, cinder blocks ect. ) with no damage to the liner. The only issue was its black and did dull after a few years. I have had it in for 6 years. Also I'm suprised that they still do bed liners....I saw a show on the discovery channel that was doing a test with line-x for the government. They dropped a 8 inch cinder block 3 stories of course it shattered. Then they dropped one coated with line-x and it just bounced! The government wants to coat the exterior of all the buildings in DC with it to help stop the walls from crumbling in an outside explosion. If that is true they may quit bed liners and only do government work.

liners

I have been spraying high pressure polyureathanes for almost 4 years, and one thing i can say is that most of the high pressure systems are about equal quality when sprayed at the same thickness under the same conditions.
Of course some are formulated to set faster if you live in a high humidity area like florida as oposed to a place like arizona or nevada, low pressure systems like rhino and reflex are a different animal and i really dont have much experince with those, but i have looked at their work and im not impressed. line-x will always almost be a little more expensive than the rest of the high pressure guys for the simple reason that you must pay franchise fees, but it all really comes down to the guy spraying/prepping your truck, and if you are getting your vehicle sprayed at Arma Coatings of LA County that would be me.
Also most of the shops nation wide will warranty their work for as long as you own your vehicle, also if you already have a liner that is faded you can restore it with a UV coating. All the shops that use high pressure equipment can do any color you want, but some wont or dont know how to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom