Rhino Charge - this Pig went to war! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
View attachment 651456Kenya June 2 2012. So the Annual Rhino Charge is now billed one of the toughest one day 4x4 events in the world. you get a map the night before and 13 GPS points and the shortest distance around the grid and back to your start point wins! 10 hours is the cut off. with 65 entrants and a shotgun start its a **** of a day in the African Bush.

Got the Warthog an entry and did some work so that the Rig stood a chance! some pictures.....
DSC00552.jpg
DSC00556.jpg
DSC00572.jpg

Very cool.

Portals?

How about a pic from underneath?

Too cool! I can't wait to try to see this thing in person in a week or so. My phone died so I can't call you yet but I am still in Meru and heading over to Nanyuki before I come back. I' haven't seen any other pigs yet in Kenya. Hope the pig is still running on the 24th... ha! I'm seeing so many lc's here that are so f'ing rad. (Someone tell me again why the US didn't get the 70 series?).

What motor have you got in that thing?
IMG_0586.jpg
IMG_0773.jpg

Last day in Kenya and Amit is picking me up to check out this rig. I'll post a few photos later... unless the details are classified.:grinpimp:

Went to meet Amit, the owner of this rig today in Nairobi. Thanks again for picking us up at our hotel! This rig is definitely a one off! Too many crazy things to list, but the custom bell housing, clutch and the entire fitment to a unimog chassis is pretty crazy. He has cut the body to allow for the body to flex with the chassis. With all the deisels here, I am most surprised to find a 2F motor under the hood. Custom carb plate puts it at an angle to allow for steep uphill driving, and the steering system... wow. Hope I can get a chance to go for a spin the next time I am here.
IMG_1130.jpg
IMG_1122.jpg
IMG_1121.jpg

And more....
IMG_1111.jpg
IMG_1124.jpg
IMG_1116.jpg

This is what happens when you can't source out a stock windshield. He would have had to have one made... or make a new frame. Check out the cut in rear tray that allows for body flex, just like a pickup. Bad... Ass.... Rig. Now I'm really jonesing for my pig. I'll be putting on some rear discos when I get home and some steps on the rear corner to allow me to climb into the back. Child's play compared to this.
IMG_1109.jpg
IMG_1132.jpg
IMG_1120.jpg

Amit, That's one tuff truck. Alot of thought has gone into it, good job! I would like to fit a rear winch, under mine.

Big Sal, thanks for sharing the pictures.

I think its incredible that this forum keeps like minded people in touch even across continents!! Bigsal THANK YOU for making the time. Your input and validation makes it seem worthwhile! Hope one day to take you up on that Rubicon Trail offer!

i think as an all NEWBIE team we did great - some SCHOOL BOY errors saw us start real late and only have time to make 6 of the 13 controls.

next year..... speaking of which we only JUST got into RHINO CHARGE 2013.... they sold the second half of the entries (32 places) in under 2 hours!!!!

so if anyone is in the neighbourghood June 1 2013 ..... ;)

Very cool.

Portals?

How about a pic from underneath?

yep portals - in fact gearbox and chassis from a unimog 404... they worked everything out pretty amazing the people at Mercedes Benz....

the tires are 44 inch... and managed to get the rings laser cut here for the beadlocks

i think as an all NEWBIE team we did great - some SCHOOL BOY errors saw us start real late and only have time to make 6 of the 13 controls.

next year..... speaking of which we only JUST got into RHINO CHARGE 2013.... they sold the second half of the entries (32 places) in under 2 hours!!!!

so if anyone is in the neighbourghood June 1 2013 ..... ;)

On the calendar, but only if you let me drive at some point...Ha! I'll hope to have some work over there again in June next year.

Cheers!

mods for 2013 Rhino Charge

Bigsal

sorry to have missed you in Nairobi this time around.

just to bring you up to speed on the planned changes and major surgery for this year. Its all about better balance and stability. if you notice in the pics, the front axle sits too far back and the weight of the 2F engine is far forward.

A. move front axle forward
The sump had to clear the diff bubble and so it sits way tall and at an incline already. so the COG is high and the weight ahead of the axles. By moving the front axle forward (16"), 1. the engine drops down (near 4 inches!) 2. the engine and gear box are more centralized between the axles 3. the body can be lowered (aiming for 4 inches and improve the COG and duck under trees 4. the front tyres will meet the obstacles first 5. look better :cool:

B. ok so the rear axle has to move forward as well to keep the wheel base the same. recall we are running unimog transmission and the axles are connected to torque tubes and propellors within those. means shortening the rear one and actually getting a new rear prop to also cut and fit to the front. :bang:

C. Now the steering geometry is all over the place. am fitting a PSC hydraulic kit in :steer: woohoo!!!

D. 4 LOW RANGE 4 High range gears. there is a modification to the existing shift plate that allows you to alter the original 6 speed set up - where 1 and 2 are low ratio 3 4 5 6 high (close) ratio and reverse a 2 speed affair. (F +R engaged in a seperate lever) now by blanking off one channel and creating a slide shift, adding ANOTHER lever (Hi Lo) we get 4 gears low 4 gears high! :D

its a mess of levers in there - 1 for Fwd Rev...1 for high low. 1 for shifting gears 1 for engaging 4wd and difflocks (which i am thinking to change to individual cable actuated lockers front and rear) 2 hand brake levers for each individual tyre at the back - helps in really tight turns....:doh:

E. Brakes that actually work. have tried the original Unimpog master cylinder ...not happy... and so will change that for a LC 80 series booster pedal and cylinder set.

F. Lower the body. may have to trim the body at the back now for the new overhang as well...and see if front fender needs a shave. fit the winches and alter the body armour to fit.

And that should keep me out of trouble and out of pocket for the next few months!!!!

635.jpg

ok so - some progress after the lathe machine was down.

managed to build up the new front propellor and torque tube. this was done by chopping and welding a much beefier rear prop/torque tube. its installed and looks good.

now working on fitting the PSC hydraulic steering kit!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom