Rhinestone Cowboy - '75 Mustard FJ40 (23 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chasing down little electrical gremlins, thankfully they were all sorted by cleaning the contacts on fuse block and popping in new fuses. Brass brush from Harbor Freight works perfectly to clean the contacts. Patiently waiting for a 75-77 igniter, new dizzy, intake manifold gasket and various other little bits to make it run smooth for my roadtrip.

wJfPPsbh.jpg

8YCgZjNh.jpg

This post is a felony, punishible by 25 years in prison and 1 million dollar fine. In Commiefornia only of course.
Haha, having grown up in a gun toting Virginia for 26 years, California doesn’t bother me. I’ll shoot long guns in the desert if needed. It’s actually easier to shoot in a fun manner here than Virginia.

Small but large update. Couple weeks ago I was wrapping up the truck to get it ready for a roadtrip. So here I am - in the O'haire Motor Inn, Great Falls Montana. Writing this little update while watching my friend clean up frantically and I watch the hangover...with a very mild hangover.

So the truck I wrapped up with a new city racer carb - donated by a most generous friend by the name of Al. If you're ever south of LA - go check out his burrito shop - it was on Netflix! The NOS Saudi Air cleaner arrived a few days prior along with a new Dizzy to replace my existing one with a shot advance diaphragm. @4Cruisers I might have a good dizzy to rebuild for you. It's a nice unit in great shape. Once the manifold was checked on a granite slab - I was happy that its flat - but JB weld had to fix the crack temporarily for the trip, so that is another repair for a later time. First stop was Solid Axle Summit for the annual gathering. I caravan'd out with @Godfather90 in his outrageously perfect 40. I had to draft him for about 45 miles to make it to a gas station...which led to a whole 'nother debacle with Utah's finest Sherriff's department, but I'll leave that story for the campfire.

ki7p4zYh.jpg

jvAGt95h.jpg

yTzpAZCh.jpg

S95h65Ch.jpg

Once setup in camp - it was great seeing folks that I only see once a year. Then did the usual trails like Imogene and Black Bear Pass with some great folks and meeting some that I had not yet. The 40 performed amazing - I couldn't be happier with it, the truck tackled every trail including 'the Wall' on Poughkeepise Gulch.

anp4MzOh.jpg

zmKgmwHh.jpg

CHczXvuh.jpg

iN5quH7h.jpg

oLdhll9h.jpg

VbtBeTbh.jpg

vR7csVTh.jpg

7dlJoS3h.jpg

2MrCCx0h.jpg

rBzpIqhh.jpg

Qfek5FZh.jpg

2nVgbCJh.jpg

After most of the trails - we opted to hike a 14er (Mt. Sneffels). @mesa man was kind of enough to cruise up with us and show us the ropes (many including myself's first time doing scurrying up to 14k. Absolutely one of the highlights of the trip. Enough to even see a friend propose to his gf at the top (his monstrous 60 on 40s below).

AadMSCwh.jpg

Yg60vQdh.jpg

After wrapping up at SAS (I have so many more pictures and stories from that - but for now....I'm a little short on time to keep updating) we pressed on to Jackson Hole. The first stop was in Flaming Gorge (which happens to be right where I bought the truck!) So it was neat to be back after some upgrades. Relaxation and a soak in the reservoir was pleasant while @Rockymtnreaper fixed up his airbags. Picture is also courtesy Tucker. Thanks!

RP9QYGnh.jpg

Once in Jackson - I enjoyed the town, found some mud, got iced, and camped for a few days. A quick pitstop in Alpine for a beer and some errands.... then I pressed onto Yellowstone and Devils Tower.
nwxxvoPh.jpg

GnZXlBBh.jpg

t57LfmTh.jpg

QIELHARh.jpg

PrBCQIGh.jpg

g9cIX2uh.jpg

Along the way - I realized Sturgis was still going on...and after a surprise FaceTime conversation - a good friend of mine invited me out to stay in Lead, South Dakota for the end of the rally. Much to my surprise - Deadwood and Lead are actually very neat towns loaded with history. I'd look 'em up if you aren't aware like myself. I hit Sasha's Cycles in Sturgis to tap back into my past of riding choppers (which I might have to build again). It was a blast riding my buddy's rig around town. Last but not least - I checked out the Badlands and Wall Drug - what a weird little town.

kExiX0Hh.jpg

qWgDZ2hh.jpg

6rOzlp9h.jpg

klOgnzxh.jpg

41pQQhvh.jpg

1Avf0ndh.jpg

This fella is hitting every state in the country on this Evo chop.

evM2Kzrh.jpg

After the weekend wrapped - I realized I had to kill my anticipated plans of going East due to Covid restrictions my family put on me after Sturgis. So I headed West and picked up my friend in Jackson. I took the desolate route from Lead to Billings and stopped at the Stoneville Saloon for a burger and a beer. Not the friendliest bartender, but a cold beer and burger was all I needed. She seemed to be rather burnt out after Sturgis. Afterwards I took Beartooth Pass/Chief Joseph down into Cooke City Montana and I cannot recommend that enough! Stop at the Beartooth Cafe and grab a beer or two - it was most appreciated after my hot drive. Happened to chat, albeit briefly with two couples who owned a handful of 40s - but were separated when I got a table. I channeled my inner @rkymtnflyfisher with an IPA..I mean two IPAs. The garlic burger and chili was pretty good.

WLIlUZch.jpg

0X0m7iWh.jpg

A63m1V1h.jpg

g8lsUzhh.jpg

3WI14vFh.jpg

VpxmgQmh.jpg

kc3XNIzh.jpg

Last edited:
So that brings me to now. Stayed in Big Sky for the night after some heavy rains and my friend....wanted some comfort (surprising huh?)

Found some snow at the peaks in the morning and then charged onto Great Falls. I had heard of the Sip n Dip and its mermaids so I had to check it out. For $99 a night, garage parking and a full tiki bar, I couldn't be happier.

GAXJ88ch.jpg

kj4adr0h.jpg

Along the route I saw this beautiful Pete. I fell in love.

1l4uXJmh.jpg

Tomorrow is Glacier.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun adventure so far! Enjoy Glacier tomorrow. If you pass through the Bitterroot be sure to hit ne up!

I'm sure there are some awesome pics that we're missing out on.

Alright so the lift is done, finally. If anyone ever plans to go the 4" route, I really dig the combo after piecing it together with some help from @rkymtnflyfisher and @brian

Came out to be the following:
Skyjacker 4" Lift springs front and rear
Bilstein 33-185606 (front)
Bilstein 33-185552 (rear)
Energy/Skyjacker bushings
CCOT 1.5" shackles (front, not installed yet)
CCOT 2.5" shackles (rear)
4* shims front and rear
And of course all new oem hardware

Wish I had ordered a u bolt flip kit, but whatever, that will be later. In the middle of it all, I had to go on a work trip to Kings Canyon/Yosemite.

Sztx33xh.jpg

a4oO8IYh.jpg

aioh61Oh.jpg

Rr2dShGh.jpg

a5BrtGAh.jpg

JATe2r6h.jpg

Post lift, hopefully I'll get some better pictures soon, this was right after I pulled it out. Still need shackles up front, this is with stock shackles for now. I also have to figure out if I had stock springs or not on the truck, they are in great shape and what appeared to be stock height.

I2TMEi3h.jpg

Ran into this guy prior to lift, killer looking series III.

W8jWc5ih.jpg

All for now...
Man, that food looks Amazing! You guys know how to do it for sure!!!

Is that Sip n Dip bar the one in the The Right Stuff movie?

Wow some great pics! of the cruiser"s and of where you have driven. hope to do SAS next year in my 40 series!

@brian not the one out in Cali where Yaeger hung out, there was the one where Gus Grissom was telling Gordo Cooper (I think) to not “scr_w the pooch” on his mission. The bar had a dive pool that looks like Sin n Dip’s and at the end of the scene Wally Schirra had jumped in and was swimming with the mermaid. The “event” led up to John Glen’s lecture on being in the public eye, etc. Great stuff.

Last edited:
Few more pictures from Colorado session that keep surprising me - there are FAR TOO MANY pictures to choose from.

p3sY59hh.jpg

VGvc875h.jpg

Glacier was beautiful, moreso, Many Glacier and the Lodge felt very Swiss. Maybe one day I will come back and stay there, for now, camping fits my budget :) Then found myself near the Canadian border....but no vax means no Canada, so that was it for Canada. Onward to Whitefish and really enjoyed that town, rodeo was a blast along with the Great Northern bar and some decent barbecue. Camping by the lake was....great except for the rain and the Great Northern train route - which runs ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT.

cTYpbxFh.jpg

ZJdXEiJh.jpg

7KTaPlKh.jpg

3fbWugih.jpg

Onward through Kalispell, Missoula, Hamilton, Stevensville, then Darby where I stayed a few nights and happened to learn that is where they film the show Yellowstone. Stunning ranch and understand the choice for backdrop. Darby was a great stop along the way. Happened to run into a cool 40 that was passed down from the owner's father whom apparently purchased it with the existing paint over 30 years ago.

9JVzNnzh.jpg

RxUs8Yzh.jpg

Then ultimately crossed into Idaho and stopped at a number of old mines and spent the night in Challis. Had a great burger, beautiful and peaceful campsite and happened to chat with a fella who restores/sells Bumpside F100s - he had a large collection that I couldn't stop drooling over.

0qvvY7Zh.jpg

kFsMhVmh.jpg

Into Stanley, ID/Sawtooth Wilderness. Extremely unexpected and spent a few days here, absolutely loved it here. Great fishing, Redfish Lake/Lodge and the town were nothing short of amazing. Coldest morning of the trip - 25 degrees in August! Had great drinks at the bar in Redfish, went horseback riding and took out a boat across the lake. Couldn't recommend it more. Even met a fella who has a TLC restored Fj45LV, unfortunately it wasn't there.

0o6Li2qh.jpg

fVN7Cdnh.jpg

Unmentioned prior - my friend wanted to come along on the second leg of the trip so I picked her up in Jackson and she came along for about 25 days of the trip and was rather impressive as a passenger in the 40 and camping for a majority of the trip. She really likes the trip - aside from no ac, limited cabin room and the noise.

9rbNILlh.jpg

While in Nampa, ID I saw this at a light - looks very familiar but couldn't remember if the owner is on here?

FCN4luNh.jpg

As time and money wound down, I made my way back to California. With the fires going on I had to shack up in June Lake at a little place while all the forests were closed. Woke up the following morning and took Tioga Pass into Yosemite where I could get two nights in the park until I popped into Bandit Town for my friends event - Hooligan Hoedown in North Fork. Great weekend which was also my Birthday weekend and finally hit the end of my trip. A quick blast to the coast and down to Santa Barbara to drop my friend off and just like that....the trip ended.

6,738 miles
44 days
49 tanks of gas
1.5 qts of oil
no break downs or issues.

Couldn't be happier with the truck now that it is back. Now it is time for disc brakes and maybe a diesel swap. Before that - I decided shortly after arriving back in California that a move to Idaho seems good - so yesterday I packed up part of my tools and toys and leaving California this weekend. Onwards and upwards!

NSOM1tjh.jpg

This is a vid I was lucky enough to have recorded by a few different folks as I went up 'The Wall' at Poughkeepsie, the tire/lift combo took everything I could throw at it and the winch controller never came out for use.

Great trip. Wished I could have swung a bit more with you all. Glad you will be moving a bit closer and give me more reason to take a trip out East.

Subscribed...not sure if I'm following for the FJ content or the photos, probably both.

Awesome photos, stories...and the truck is nice, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom