RHD PS Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.toyotatrailriders.com
Alright we have a Right Hand Drive Australian 40 sitting on our ranch in texas and due to our muddy area we threw some 33x12.5" ProComp Mud terrains on her. Well needless to say now I am looking into a power steering conversion for it. The problem is I have gone through most of the FAQ and I haven't found much in the way of solutions for RHD. Has anybody out there done it, and if so could you help a guy out and provide a link. The search function didn't work too well either and I would like to get some experience on it before I go to hacking on my Cruiser.

Thanks
Aggie

I converted a wrong hand drive to P/S a couple of weeks ago using a RHD 60 box..... $pecter has them in stock.....
t%201%20%28Custom%29.JPG

I'd be willing to bet you could fit a lhd 60 series box on the inside of the framerail on your rhd truck.Then the conversion would be the same as a normal 60 series conversion.

Wouldn't an old blazer p/s box work? If I remember correctly it mounts to the outside of the frame so... on a RHD it would fit inside the frame just like a normal 4 bolt saginaw box.

I just took delivery of my right hand drive troopie and was figuring on the future steering conversion myself. I have to agree with LT seem to me that older Chevy truck steering boxes mount in such a way that they would work great for a RHD steering conversion.

I just took delivery of my right hand drive troopie and was figuring on the future steering conversion myself. I have to agree with LT seem to me that older Chevy truck steering boxes mount in such a way that they would work great for a RHD steering conversion.

Diesel?

Yeah it's a diesel. I figure since manual Landcruiser steering is only bearable when it is at it's best I would opt for a manual GM steering box. Then when the diesel goes belly up I will put a put a 350/350 combo mated to the Landcruiser transfer and switch to a GM power steering box.

i dont know its a shame getting arid of the diesel for a v8 ,saginaw power steering is very common. i would even keep it rhd though. if you want a v8
and left hand hand drive why dont you sell it a purist would give you top dollar for that BJ as for the saginaw steering i have done a few myself

I don't think you'd be able o use a chev 4wd box as it was a push pull setup and the keysplines aren't inline with the box. A 2wd box would be a better choice if you are going to go saginaw .

Yeah, use a 2wd chevy box (model 708) that mounts on the outside of the chevy frame. I would think it would mount up to the inside of the pass. framerail just like a regular saginaw conversion would on the other side. These boxes are bigger and stronger with a bigger piston than most saginaw boxes used for power steering conversions, and they are very common, and I am certain it will cost way less than a right hand drive 60 box (or any 60 box).
I am almost positive the 4wd box will not work... As "Too Tall" said it's setup with a different sector shaft for a push pull setup, and you can't turn the pitman arm on it.

not many options on pump mounting on H & 2H.... you can veiw what I did here-------- https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=137681

I wouldn't try to put power steering on the diesel. I would put a manual Saginaw steering in place of the Landcruiser steering. I have done it before and it improves the steering immensely without going the power steering route. I would rather go to power steering but I can wait until the diesel dies, which may be never from what I hear. Later if I can't stand the shifting any longer and Chevy engines and transmissions being a dime a dozen if you know where to look, I will be all set up for the power steering when I do the switch.

what's wrong with having power steering and a diesel? Just a lack of aftermarket bracket options? Just build all the stuff yourself! I made all of my own stuff when I put power steering on my FJ55, and all I had was an angle grinder, a borrowed portable mig, and some scrap angle iron and plate... took half a day. Seems like putting on a different manual setup is just a band-aid, kind of like putting a header on your 2F when you really wanted a 300HP V8... just seems like a big waste of time... especially when you end up doing the work all over again later when you want even bigger tires and you need power steering...
The POWER steering was, and is THE BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO MY LANDCRUISER.

what's wrong with having power steering and a diesel? Just a lack of aftermarket bracket options? Just build all the stuff yourself! I made all of my own stuff when I put power steering on my FJ55, and all I had was an angle grinder, a borrowed portable mig, and some s**** angle iron and plate... took half a day. Seems like putting on a different manual setup is just a band-aid, kind of like putting a header on your 2F when you really wanted a 300HP V8... just seems like a big waste of time... especially when you end up doing the work all over again later when you want even bigger tires and you need power steering...
The POWER steering was, and is THE BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO MY LANDCRUISER.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having power steering on a diesel in fact I wish mine had it, your ingenuity impresses me. My point was that the (for example) chevy truck steering box both power and manual have the same body practically and same bolt pattern if I recall correctly. The Gm steering is leaps and bounds over the Landcruiser steering night and day difference. It isn't power by any means but it is very good steering and I would be all ready to switch over when the V-8 conversion comes along. You just unbolt one box and bolt up the other and run you lines to your pump. That's all I was getting at.

Power steering would be a better fix, I just don't want to put the effort into putting the pump on the diesel, when there is a very acceptable alternative.

Some folks want to keep their cruisers pure Toyota... that's why this conversion used the 60 box and mini truck pump.... nothing else was considered......:cool:

I've had a pwr steer conversion done on my 40 here in Australia. We used a 60 box and pump (standard 2f), 55 series steering column, and custom steering rods.

Hi All:

If I had spent the big $$ to import an unique RHD Land Cruiser into North America I would want to try to preserve it in as original-like condition as possible, mainly to protect it's future re-sale value.

The easiest and most factory-like power steering swap on a LHD FJ40 is the so-called "mini-truck" conversion, using the PS gearbox and pump from a LHD Toyota 4wd mini-pickup. It seems to me that the same could be done on a RHD 40/45 Series, using an Aussie-export RHD HiLux (mini-truck) PS gearbox.

The PS pump bracket could be either custom-fabricated, or use the one that came on a CDN. spec BJ42/60/70.

Good luck with the project!

Regards,

Alan

I've had a pwr steer conversion done on my 40 here in Australia. We used a 60 box and pump (standard 2f), 55 series steering column, and custom steering rods.

Hi, any chances of some pics as i'm trying to do same ? :banana:

FWIW On a sidebar note if you would rather not use the stock 60 steering linkages 4X4 labs used to sell inserts for the 60 pitman arm so you can use FJ80 tie rod ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom